This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Analysis for Automotive Wheel Bearings with Road Load Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 19, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive wheel bearings have primary functions of translating the rotating motion of the wheels into vehicle motion while bearing the vehicle weight. The life of automotive wheel bearings can be divided into raceway life and flange life. Of the two lives, flange life is the failure mode in which the wheel flanges begin to fail. The wheel flange life can be numerically predicted through fatigue analysis. Flange fatigue life requires analysis including rotation due to the bearing characteristics. Therefore, flange life evaluation of wheel bearings can be identified through actual road load test data by mounting wheel bearings on actual vehicles.
This paper discusses a fatigue analysis method for automotive wheel bearings using actual road load test data to calculate wheel flange life. Stress analysis and fatigue analysis were performed sequentially using commercial software. Stress was calculated by the stress analysis, and damage was calculated by the fatigue analysis from this result. In the stress analysis, the material properties and loadings were assumed to be linear. To investigate the nonlinear characteristics of the bearing, linear and nonlinear analysis was performed while changing the contact conditions. Stress analysis and fatigue analysis were performed on the baseline design and improved design, respectively. It was found that the damage of the improved design was significantly improved when compared to the damage of the baseline design. In conclusion, it is expected that the failure of the automotive wheel bearings can be predicted using the method proposed in this study.
CitationLee, S., Cho, S., Nam, M., and Sutherlin, R., "Fatigue Analysis for Automotive Wheel Bearings with Road Load Data," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-1193, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-1193.
- Lee , S. , Lee , N. , Lim , J. , and Park , J. The Effect of Outer Ring Flange Concavity on Automotive Wheel Bearings Performance SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9 3 2016 1264 1269 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1958
- Lee , S. Bearing Life Evaluation for Automotive Wheel Bearings Using Design of Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1903 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1903
- Lee , S. Bearing Life Optimization for Automotive Wheel Bearings SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2137 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2137
- International organization for Standardization Rolling Bearings-Dynamic Load Ratings and Rating Life 1990
- Lundberg , G. and Palmgren , A. Dynamic Capacity of Rolling Bearings Acta Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering Series 1 10 1947
- Lee , O.S. , Kim , H.M. , and Choi , H.B. Analysis of Fatigue Life and Failure of High-Speed Rotating Cylindrical Vessel with Holes Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A 34 4 2010 439 446
- Jeon , S.M. and Cho , B.W. Fatigue Analysis of Rear Suspension Part Applying Multi-Body Dynamics Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A 39 10 2015 1039 1044
- ABAQUS ABAQUS User's manual Version 2016 RI, USA Dassault Systems Simulia, Inc. 2016
- ANSYS nCode DesignLife DesignLife Theoy Guide 20.1.02 Canonsburg, PA ANSYS, Inc., Southpointe 2020