This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of the Effects of Piston Design and Injection Strategy on Passive Pre-chamber Enrichment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The pre-chamber combustion can extend the lean limit of internal combustion engines (ICE) and hence increase their overall efficiency. Compared to active pre-chambers equipped with an auxiliary fuel supply system, passive pre-chambers have lower manufacturing costs and require minimal or no design modifications to the conventional spark plug engines. The major challenge of the passive pre-chamber is to extend the lean limit as much as the active pre-chamber. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations were conducted on a light-duty single-cylinder engine geometry fitted with a passive pre-chamber and using iso-octane as fuel to investigate and optimize the passive pre-chamber fuel enrichment through the pre-chamber nozzles. The non-reacting flow simulations were performed from the intake valve open (IVO) to spark timing. The main goal of this study is to evaluate the impact of injection timing, location, and piston geometry on the fuel enrichment of the pre-chamber as a means to extend the lean limit of the engine operation. A homogeneous air-fuel mixture is initially considered through the intake ports. Subsequently, a small percentage of the fuel was injected through a gasoline direct injector (GDI) into the main chamber and aerodynamically guided into the passive pre-chamber to enrich it. Several piston designs were simulated for side and central direct injection spray guidance. The simulation analysis shows that it was possible to achieve a significantly richer mixture in the pre-chamber while having a lean mixture in the main chamber using direct injection and a specially designed piston.
- Fahad Almatrafi - King Abdullah Uni. of Science & Tech.
- Mickael Silva - King Abdullah Uni. of Science & Tech.
- Moez Ben Houidi - King Abdullah Uni. of Science & Tech.
- Emre Cenker - Saudi Aramco
- Jihad Badra - Saudi Aramco
- Balaji Mohan - Saudi Aramco
- Hong G. Im - King Abdullah Uni. of Science & Tech.
- James Turner - King Abdullah Uni. of Science & Tech.
CitationAlmatrafi, F., Silva, M., Ben Houidi, M., Cenker, E. et al., "Numerical Investigation of the Effects of Piston Design and Injection Strategy on Passive Pre-chamber Enrichment," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-1041, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-1041.
- IEA https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics/charts/global-co2-emissions-in-transport-by-mode-in-the-sustainable-development-scenario-2000-2070
- IEA Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Energy: Overview, 2021 https://www.iea.org/reports/greenhouse-gas-emissions-from-energy-overview
- Biswas , S. Physics of Turbulent Jet Ignition Cham Springer International Publishing 2018 10.1007/978-3-319-76243-2
- Hlaing , P. , Silva , M. , Marquez , M.E. , et al. https://doi.org/101177/14680874211059148 December 2021 10.1177/14680874211059148
- Alvarez , C.E.C. , Couto , G.E. , Roso , V.R. , Thiriet , A.B. et al. A Review of Prechamber Ignition Systems as Lean Combustion Technology for SI Engines Appl Therm Eng. 128 2018 107 120 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.08.118
- Toulson , E. , Schock , H.J. , and Attard , W.P. A Review of Pre-Chamber Initiated Jet Ignition Combustion Systems SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2263 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2263
- Sens , M. and Binder , E. Pre-Chamber Ignition as a Key Technology for Future Powertrain Fleets MTZ Worldw 80 2 2019 44 51 10.1007/S38313-018-0150-1
- Benajes , J. , Novella , R. , Gomez-Soriano , J. , Martinez-Hernandiz , P.J. et al. Evaluation of the Passive Pre-Chamber Ignition Concept for Future High Compression Ratio Turbocharged Spark-Ignition Engines Appl Energy 248 March 2019 576 588 10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.04.131
- Benajes , J. , Novella , R. , Gomez-Soriano , J. et al. Computational Assessment Towards Understanding the Energy Conversion and Combustion Process of Lean Mixtures in Passive Pre-Chamber Ignited Engines Appl Therm Eng. 178 May 2020 115501 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2020.115501
- Zhang , A. , Yu , X. , Engineer , N. , Zhang , Y. et al. Numerical Investigation of Pre-Chamber Jet Combustion in a Light-Duty Gasoline Engine ASME 2020 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers 2020 1 15 10.1115/ICEF2020-2997 .
- Yu , X. , Zhang , A. , Baur , A. , Voice , A. et al. Statistical Quantification of Knock with Spark Ignition and Pre-Chamber Jet Ignition in a Light Duty Gasoline Engine ASME 2020 Intern Combust Engine Div Fall Tech Conf ICEF 1 21 2021 10.1115/ICEF2020-2941 .
- Yu , X. , Zhang , A. , Baur , A. , and Engineer , N. The Impact of Pre-Chamber Design on Part Load Efficiency and Emissions of a Miller Cycle Light Duty Gasoline Engine SAE Techical Paper 2021-01-0479 2021 1 16 10.4271/2021-01-0479
- Ge , H. , Bakir , A.H. , Yadav , S. , Kang , Y. et al. CFD Optimization of the Pre-Chamber Geometry for a Gasoline Spark Ignition Engine Front Mech Eng. 6 January 2021 1 18 10.3389/fmech.2020.599752
- Zhou , L. , Song , Y. , Hua , J. , Liu , F. et al. Effects of Different Hole Structures of Pre-Chamber with Turbulent Jet Ignition on the Flame Propagation and Lean Combustion Performance of a Single-Cylinder Engine Fuel 308 August 2021 2022 121902 10.1016/j.fuel.2021.121902
- Ciampolini , M. , Bigalli , S. , Balduzzi , F. , Bianchini , A. et al. CFD Analysis of the Fuel-Air Mixture Formation Process in Passive Prechambers for Use in a High- Pressure Direct Injection (HPDI) Two-Stroke Engine Energies 13 11 2020 10.3390/en13112846
- Weng , V. , Gindele , J. , Töpfer , G. , Spicher , U. et al. Investigation of the Bowl-Prechamber-Ignition (BPI) Concept in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine at Part Load SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3658 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3658
- Kettner , M. , Fischer , J. , Nauwerck , A. et al. The BPI Flame Jet Concept to Improve the Inflammation of Lean Burn Mixtures in Spark Ignited Engines SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0035 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0035
- Kettner , M. , Rothe , M. , Velji , A. , Spicher , U. et al. A New Flame Jet Concept to Improve the Inflammation of Lean Burn Mixtures in SI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3688 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3688
- Hlaing , P. , Marquez , M.E. , Singh , E. et al. Effect of Pre-Chamber Enrichment on Lean Burn Pre-Chamber Spark Ignition Combustion Concept with a Narrow-Throat Geometry SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0825 2020 10.4271/2020-01-0825
- Silva , M. , Sanal , S. , Hlaing , P. , Cenker , E. et al. A Computational Investigation of Fuel Enrichment in the Pre-Chamber on the Ignition of the Main Chamber Charge SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0523 2021 1 10 10.4271/2021-01-0523
- Han , Z. and Reitz , R.D. Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG k-ɛ Models Combust Sci Technol. 106 4-6 1995 267 295 10.1080/00102209508907782
- Beale , J.C. and Reitz , R.D. Modeling Spray Atomization with the Kelvin-Helmholtz/Rayleigh-Taylor Hybrid Model At Sprays. 9 6 1999 623 650 10.1615/ATOMIZSPR.V9.I6.40
- Mitroglou , N. , Nouri , J.M. , Gavaises , M. , and Arcoumanis , C. Spray Characteristics of a Multi-Hole Injector for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines Int J Engine Res. 7 3 2006 255 270 10.1243/146808705X62922