This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling of DOC Behavior Under DPF Active Regeneration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Concerns about the harmful exhaust emissions of internal combustion engines have imposed the employment of aftertreatment devices to reduce their impacts both on health and environment.
System modeling of engine and aftertreatment devices is required not only to provide an accurate assessment of the engine and aftertreatment devices performances as single elements but also to quantify the complex interaction of these components from a thermo fluid perspective.
The work focuses on development of a model capable of predicting temporal and spatial evolution of thermo-fluid quantities and chemical species in a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC). The developed model allows to investigate the influence of thermal characteristics and gas composition on the evolution of the phenomena occurring in the device which deeply reflect on the particulate filter behavior during regeneration phase.
A hybrid approach has been implemented to predict molar fractions and temperatures in the monolith under isobaric and adiabatic conditions. Lax-Wendroff scheme has been used to solve the channel fluid-dynamics. The time-discretization of the differential equations related to the solid phase has allowed to analyze their properties evolution.
The model has been at first calibrated using measured engine test data; then, it has been employed in simulations to predict the behavior of DOC under different engine out conditions during an active regeneration process of the DPF, in order to highlight the role of the oxidation catalyst on the conditions upstream the filter that have to be carefully managed in order to ensure an efficient filter response, preventing DPF regeneration damage and reducing the fuel economy penalty.
CitationCavallo, D., Chiavola, O., and Palmieri, F., "Modelling of DOC Behavior Under DPF Active Regeneration," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-1018, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-1018.
- Ayodhya , A.S. and Gottekere Narayanappa , K. An Overview of After-Treatment Systems For Diesel Engines Env. Sci. Poll. Res . 25 2018 35034 35047 10.1007/s11356-018-3487-8
- Guan , B. , Zhan , R. , Lin , H. , and Huang , Z. Review of the State-of-the-Art of Exhaust Particulate Filter Technology in Internal Combustion Engines J. Environ. Manag. 154 2015 225 258
- Triantafyllopoulos , G. , Katsaounis , D. , Karamitros , D. , Ntziachristos , L. et al. Experimental Assessment of the Potential to Decrease Diesel NOx Emissions Beyond Minimum Requirements for Euro 6 Real Drive Emissions (RDE) Compliance Sci. Total Environ. 618 2018 1400 1407
- Kang , W. , Choi , B. , Jung , S. , and Park , S. PM and NOx Reduction Characteristics of LNT/DPF+SCR/DPF Hybrid System Energy 143 2018 439 447
- Hyung Jun , K. , Seongin , J. , Sangil , K. , Jong-Tae , L. et al. NOx Emission Analysis According to After-Treatment Devices (SCR, LNT+SCR, SDPF), and Control Strategies in Euro-6 Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles Fuel 310 2022 10.1016/j.fuel.2021.122297
- Ko , S. , Park , J. , Kim , H. , Kang , G. et al. NOx Emissions from Euro 5 and Euro 6 Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles under Real Driving Conditions Energies 13 1 2020 218
- Zhongwei , M. , Bosong , Z. , Jie , T. , Zhao , C. et al. Study of Gas and Particulate Emission Characteristics During the Fast Regeneration Period of DPF Fuel 317 2022 10.1016/j.fuel.2022.123353
- Juan , O. , Zhongwei , M. , Yizhang , H. , and Yuheng , D. Experimental Investigation on the Variation Characteristics of Soot Layer Thickness and Pressure Drop During DPF/CDPF Active Regeneration Chem. Eng. Sci. 241 2021 10.1016/j.ces.2021.116682
- Lapuerta , M. , Rodríguez-Fernández , J. , and Sánchez-Valdepeñas , J. Soot Reactivity Analysis and Implications on Diesel Filter Regeneration Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 78 2020 10.1016/j.pecs.2020.100833
- Jiao , P. , Li , Z. , Shen , B. , Zhang , W. et al. Research of DPF Regeneration with NOx-PM Coupled Chemical Reaction Appl. Thermal Eng. 110 2017 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.08.184
- Yuhan , H. , Elvin , C.Y. , Surawski , N.C. , Zhou , J.L. et al. Effect of Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration on Fuel Consumption and Emissions Performance Under Real-Driving Conditions Fuel 320 2022 10.1016/j.fuel.2022.123937
- Tormos , B. , Novella , R. , Gomez-Soriano , J. , García-Barberá , A. et al. Study of the Influence of Emission Control Strategies on the Soot Content and Fuel Dilution in Engine Oil Tribology Int. 136 2019 10.1016/j.triboint.2019.03.066
- Lao , C.T. , Akroyd , J. , Eaves , N. , Smith , A. et al. Investigation of the Impact of the Configuration of Exhaust After-Treatment System for Diesel Engines Appl. Energy 267 2020 10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.114844
- Leskovjan , M. , Kočí , P. , and Maunula , T. Simulation of Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment System DOC—pipe—SCR: The Effects of Pt Loading, PtOx Formation and Pipe Configuration on the deNOx Performance Chem. Eng. Sci. 189 2018 10.1016/j.ces.2018.05.031
- Mihai , O. , Stenfeldt , M. , and Olsson , L. The Effect of Changing the Gas Composition on Soot Oxidation Over DPF and SCR-Coated Filters Catalysis Today 306 2018 10.1016/j.cattod.2017.03.005
- Chundru , V.R. , Parker , G.G. , and Johnson , J.H. The Effect of NO 2 /NO x Ratio on the Performance of a SCR Downstream of a SCR Catalyst on a DPF SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 12 2 2019 121 142
- Shi , X. , Jiang , D. , Wang , Q. , and Liang , Y. Impact Factors Analysis of Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Performance Based on Model and Test Processes 9 2021 10.3390/pr9101748
- Soltani , S. , Andersson , R. , and Andersson , B. The Effect of Exhaust Gas Composition on the Kinetics of Soot Oxidation and Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Fuel 220 2018 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.02.037
- De-Yuan , W. , Jian-Hong , C. , Pi-Qiang , T. , Zhi-Xin , W. et al. Full Course Evolution Characteristics of DPF Active Regeneration Under Different Inlet HC Concentrations Fuel 310 2022 10.1016/j.fuel.2021.122452
- Eggenschwiler , P.D. , Schreiber , D. , and Liati , A. Active Regeneration Characteristics in Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0185 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0185
- Wang , Z. , Shen , L. , Lei , J. , Yao , G. et al. Impact Characteristics of Post Injection on Exhaust Temperature and Hydrocarbon Emissions of a Diesel Engine Energy Reports 8 2022 10.1016/j.egyr.2022.03.080
- Warner , J.R. , Dobson , D. , and Cavataio , G. A Study of Active and Passive Regeneration Using Laboratory Generated Soot on a Variety of SiC Diesel Particulate Filter Formulations SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 3 1 2010 149 164
- Kandylas , I.P. and Koltsakis , G.C. NO 2 -Assisted Regeneration of Diesel Particulate Filters: A Modeling Study Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 41 2002 2115 2123
- Payri , F. , Arnau , F. , Piqueras , P. , and Ruiz , M. Lumped Approach for Flow-Through and Wall-Flow Monolithic Reactors Modelling for Real-Time Automotive Applications SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0954 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0954
- Poling , B.E. , Prausnitz , J.M. , and O’Connell , J.P. The Properties of Gases and Liquids New York McGraw-Hill 2000
- Kirchner , T. and Eigenberger , G. Optimization of the Cold-Start Behaviour of Automotive Catalysts using an Electrically heated Pre-Catalyst Chem. Eng. Sci. 51 10 1996 2409 2418
- Kim , M. and Kim , Y. Re-evaluation and Modeling of a Commercial Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 48 14 2009 6579 6590
- Serrano , J.R. , Arnau , F.J. , Piqueras , P. , and García-Afonso , O. Application of the Two-Step Lax and Wendroff FCT and the CE-SE Method to Flow Transport in Wall-Flow Monoliths Int. J. of Computer Mathematics 2014 10.1080/00207160.2013.783206
- Serrano , J.R. , Piqueras , P. , Sanchis , E.J. , and Diesel , B. Analysis of the Driving Altitude and Ambient Temperature Impact on the Conversion Efficiency of Oxidation Catalysts Appl. Sci. 11 2021 1283 10.3390/app11031283
- Oh , S.H. and Cavendih , J.C. Transients of Monolithic Catalytic Converters: Response to Step Changes in Feedstream Temperature as Related to Controlling Automobile Emissions Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev. 21 1 1982 29 37 10.1021/i300005a006
- Liu , G. , Liu , W. , He , Y. , Gong , J. et al. Research on Influence of Exhaust Characteristics and Control Strategy to DOC-Assisted Active Regeneration of DPF Processes 9 8 2021 1403 https://doi.org/10.3390/pr9081403