This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emission Performance of Closed-Coupled SCR Catalysts To Be Applied for Double-SCR Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To reach close to zero tailpipe NOx emissions, a double-SCR (selective catalytic reduction) system is proposed. In that, the first SCR unit would be placed upstream of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) and the second SCR unit downstream of DPF. This study focused on the experiments of the first SCR unit. The experiments were conducted utilizing a new, 4.4-liter heavy duty diesel engine that was connected to a research facility for studying after-treatment systems in controlled environment. Three different SCR’s: a vanadium-based SCR (V-SCR), a copper-based SCR (Cu-SCR) and a vanadium-based SCR including an ammonia slip catalyst (V-SCR+ASC) were studied. Studies were done at different exhaust temperatures from 215°C to 350°C. Emissions of NO, NO2, NH3, N2O, CO, CO2 and hydrocarbons were measured by FTIR. Particulate emissions (PM, PN) were studied as a part of the experiments. The results showed that the three SCR units performed differently. The performance of the V-SCR catalyst was low at 215-250°C while the Cu-SCR catalyst was found to be very efficient at the lowest temperatures. This type of V-SCR is depending on NO2 promotion at low temperatures and will require a small DOC before that V-SCR unit. In the case, where ammonia slip was found downstream the SCR or even after ASC, the following DOC was found to remove effectively that slip. When ammonia slip was high after SCR catalyst, N2O formation was observed downstream of DOC which is obviously not a desired situation and requires an optimization of reductant feed.
CitationLehtoranta, K., Vesala, H., Koponen, P., Maunula, T. et al., "Emission Performance of Closed-Coupled SCR Catalysts To Be Applied for Double-SCR Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-1016, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-1016.
- Hoek , G. , Krishnan , R.M. , Beelen , R. , Peters , A. et al. Long-Term Air Pollution Exposure and Cardio-Respiratory Mortality: A Review Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source 12 1 2013 10.1186/1476-069X-12-43
- Frampton , M.W. and Greaves , I.A. NOx - NOx: Who’s There? American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 179 12 2009 1077 1078 10.1164/rccm.200903-0485ED
- Majewski , W.A. and Khair , M.K. Diesel Emissions and Their Control Warrendale SAE International 2006
- Maunula , T. and Wolff , T. Durable Copper and Iron SCR Catalysts for Mobile Diesel and Dual-Fuel Applications SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2214 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2214
- Maunula , T. , Tuikka , M. , and Wolff , T. The Reactions and Role of Ammonia Slip Catalysts in Modern Urea-SCR Systems Emission Control Science and Technology 6 4 2020 390 401 10.1007/S40825-020-00171-1
- Guan , B. , Zhan , R. , Lin , H. , and Huang , Z. Review of the State-of-the-Art of Exhaust Particulate Filter Technology in Internal Combustion Engines Journal of Environmental Management 154 2015 225 258 10.1016/J.JENVMAN.2015.02.027
- Harris , T. , Mc Pherson , K. , Rezaei , R. , Kovacs , D. et al. Modeling of Close-Coupled SCR Concepts to Meet Future Cold Start Requirements for Heavy-Duty Engines SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0984 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0984
- Kasab , J.J. , Hadl , K. , Raser , B. , Sacher , T. , and Graf , G. CLEERS Conference 2021
- Murtonen , T. , Lehtoranta , K. , Korhonen , S. , Vesala , H. , and Koponen , P. 28th CIMAC World Congress 2016
- Seneque , M. , Courtois , X. , Can , F. , and Duprez , D. Direct Comparison of Urea-SCR and NH3-SCR Activities Over Acidic Oxide and Exchanged Zeolite Prototype Powdered Catalysts Topics in Catalysis 59 10-12 2016 938 944 10.1007/S11244-016-0572-4
- Dae Yim , S. , Jean Kim , S. , Hyun Baik , J. , Nam , I. et al. Decomposition of Urea into NH3 for the SCR Process Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 43 16 2004 4856 4863 10.1021/ie034052j
- Lehtoranta , K. , Vesala , H. , Koponen , P. , and Korhonen , S. Selective Catalytic Reduction Operation with Heavy Fuel Oil: NOx, NH3, and Particle Emissions Environmental Science and Technology 49 7 2015 10.1021/es506185x
- Lehtoranta , K. , Murtonen , T. , Vesala , H. , Koponen , P. et al. Natural Gas Engine Emission Reduction by Catalysts Emission Control Science and Technology 3 2 2017 10.1007/s40825-016-0057-8