This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
End-Correction in Open Ducts: An Experimental Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 12th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
This paper presents the results of an investigation on the influence of a duct’s geometry and shape on its acoustic length, which differs from its physical length by a factor referred to as end-correction. In addition to traditional parameters such as length and diameter, the author has investigated the effect of additional geometry features which are less commonly addressed in the technical literature, such as a diameter contraction or a bent section along the duct. The relative microphone position with respect to the pipe orifice and to the ground surface of the measurement environment has been investigated, showing negligible impact on the measurement results. The sound wave propagation within a pipe featuring a diameter contraction has then been analysed, showing the relationship between the pipe contraction shape and location and the pipe acoustic length. The author has finally investigated the potential effect of a bending in the final section of the pipe, also showing an impact on the pipe effective length.
CitationGreco, A. and Graf, B., "End-Correction in Open Ducts: An Experimental Study," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0987, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0987.
- Rayleigh , L. Theory of Sound II 201 1878
- Levine , H. and Schwinger , J. On the Radiation of Sound from an Unflanged Circular Pipe Harvard Univ. Phys. rev. 73-4 1948
- Bosanquet , R.H.M. Notes on the Theory of Sound Philosophical Magazine Series 4 1877 216
- Anderson , S.H. and Ostensen , F.C. Effect of Frequency on the end Correction of Pipes Tech. Phys. Rev. 31 1928
- Boelkes , T. and Hoffmann , I. Pipe Diameter and End Correction of a Resonant Standing Wave ISB Journal of Physics 2011
- Selamet , A. , Ji , Z.L. , and Kach , R.A. Wave Reflections from Duct Terminations 2000
- English , E.J. A Measurement Based Study of the Acoustics of Pipe Systems with Flow Institute of Sound and Vibration, University of Southampton 2010