This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Injury Severity Prediction Algorithm Based on Select Vehicle Category for Advanced Automatic Collision Notification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the evolution of telemetry technology in vehicles, Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN), which detects occupants at risk of serious injury in the event of a crash and triages them to the trauma center quickly, may greatly improve their treatment.
An Injury Severity Prediction (ISP) algorithm for AACN was developed using a logistic regression model to predict the probability of sustaining an Injury Severity Score (ISS) 15+ injury. National Automotive Sampling System Crashworthiness Data System (NASS-CDS: 1999-2015) and model year 2000 or later were filtered for new case selection criteria, based on vehicle body type, to match Subaru vehicle category. This new proposed algorithm uses crash direction, change in velocity, multiple impacts, seat belt use, vehicle type, presence of any older occupant, and presence of any female occupant. Moreover, presence of the right-front passenger and its interaction with crash direction were considered, which affected risk prediction significantly especially in the side-impact crashes. Variable selection techniques were used to construct the final ISP algorithm with relevant features. In this paper, we presented results of two type of injury prediction algorithms, which do not (ISP) or do (ISP-R) consider the effect of a right-front passenger were proposed.
In order to evaluate model performance, five-fold cross-validation was performed within the training data (NASS-CDS 1999-2015). Additionally, the ISP algorithm for model was also externally validated using National Automotive Sampling System Crash Investigation Sampling System (NASS-CISS: 2017-2019). The area under the receiver operator characteristic curve (AUCs) was used as the metric to evaluate model performances, AUC was 0.854 with the ISP model, 0.862 with the ISP-R model for cross-validation and 0.817 with the ISP model, 0.828 with the ISP-R model for external validation. Delta-V, seat belt use, and crash direction were important predictors of serious injury, and moreover, the presence of right-front passenger was a significant injury risk modifier, especially for side impact crashes.
CitationEjima, S., Goto, T., Zhang, P., Cunningham, K. et al., "Injury Severity Prediction Algorithm Based on Select Vehicle Category for Advanced Automatic Collision Notification," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0834, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0834.
- MacKenzie , E.J. , Rivara , F.P. , Jurkovich , G.J. et al. A National Evaluation of the Effect of Trauma-Center Care on Mortality The New England Journal of Medicine 354 2006 366 378
- Kononen , D.W. , Flannagan , C.A. , and Wang , S.C. Identification and Validation of a Logistic Regression Model for Predicting Serious Injuries Associated with Motor Vehicle Crashes Accident Analysis and Prevention 43 2011 112 122
- Sasser , S.M. , Hunt , R.C. , Sullivent , E.E. et al. Guidelines for Field Triage of Injured Patients: Recommendations of the National Expert Panel on Field Triage MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 58 2009 1 35
- Bahouth , G.T. , Digges , K.H. , Bedewi , N.E. et al. Development of URGENCY2.1 for the Prediction of Crash Injury Severity Top Emergency Medicine 26 2004 157 165
- Ayoung-Chee , P. , Mack , C.D. , Kaufman , R. , and Bulger , E. Predicting Severe Injury Using Vehicle Telemetry Data Journal Trauma Acute Care Surgery 74 2013 190 194
- Kusano , K.D. and Gabler , H.C. Comparison and Validation of Injury Risk Classifiers for Advanced Automated Crash Notification Systems Traffic Injury Prevention 15 2014 S126 S133
- McMurry , T.L. , Cormier , J.M. , Daniel , T. et al. An Omni-Directional Model of Injury Risk in Planar Crashes with Application for Autonomous Vehicles Traffic Injury Prevention 2021 10.1080/15389588.2021.1955108
- Wang , S.C. , Kohoyda-Inglis , C.J. et al. Results of First Field Test of Telemetry Based Injury Severity Prediction 24th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Gothenburg, Sweden 2015
- Wang , S.C. , Kohoyda-Inglis , C.J. et al. Second Generation Aacn Injury Severity Prediction Algorithm: Development and Real-World Validation 25th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Detroit, United State 2017
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration National Automotive Sampling System Washington, DC National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 2020 https://www.nhtsa.gov/crash-data-systems/national-automotive-sampling-system
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, National Automotive Sampling System (NASS) Crashworthiness Data System Analytical User’s Manual 2007 File Washington, DC National Center for Statistics and Analysis, NHTSA, U.S. Department of Transportation
- Baker , S.P. , O’Neill , B. , Haddon , W. Jr. , and Long , W.B. The Injury Severity Score: A Method for Describing Patients with Multiple Injuries and Evaluating Emergency Care Journal of Trauma. 14 1974 187 196
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 2020 https://www.aaam.org/abbreviated-injury-scale-ais/
- Zhang , P. , Parenteau , C. , Wang , L. et al. Prediction of Thoracic Injury Severity in Frontal Impacts by Selected Anatomical Morphomic Variables through Model-Averaged Logistic Regression Approach Accident Analysis and Prevention 5 2013 172 180
- Ejima , S. , Holcombe , S. , Zhang , P. et al. Elderly Rib Fracture in Nearside Crash in Real-World Crash Data 26th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Eindhoven, Netherland 2019
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration National Automotive Sampling System Washington, DC National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 2020 https://www.nhtsa.gov/file-downloads?p=nhtsa/downloads/CISS/
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) 2021 https://www.iihs.org/topics/vehicle-size-and-weight#how-size-and-weight-affect-safety
- Teoh , R.E. and Nolan , J.M. Is Passenger Vehicle Incompatibility Still a Problem? Traffic Injury Prevention 13 2012 585 591
- Farmer , C.M. , Braver , E.R. , and Mitter , E.L. Two-Vehicle Side Impact Crashes: The Relationship of Vehicle and Crash Characteristics to Injury Severity Accident Analysis and Prevention 29 3 1997 399 406
- Stigson , H. and Kullgren , A. Effect of Side Impact Protection in Reducing Injuries 22nd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Washington, DC 2011
- Laberge-Nadeu , C. , Bellavance , F. , Messier , S. et al. Occupant Injury Severity from Lateral Collisions: A Literature Review Journal of Safety Research 40 2009 427 435
- Newland , C. , Belcher , T. , Bostrom , O. et al. Occupant-to-Occupant Interaction and Impact Injury Risk in Side Impact Crashes Stapp Car Crash J 52 2008 327 347