This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison of Mobile Phone LiDAR Capture and Established Ground based 3D Scanning Methodologies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ground-based Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) using FARO Focus 3D scanners (and other brands of scanners) are repeatedly shown to accurately capture the geometry of accident scenes, accident vehicles, and exemplar vehicles, as well as corresponding evidence from these sources such as roadway gouge marks, vehicle crush depth, debris fields, and burn areas. However, ground-based scanners require expensive and large equipment on-site, as well as other materials that may be required depending on the scenario, such as tripods and alignment spheres. New technologies, such as Apple’s mobile phone LiDAR capture, were released recently for their newer model phones, and these devices offer a way to obtain LiDAR data but with less cumbersome and less expensive equipment. This mobile LiDAR can be captured using many different applications from the App Store which can then be exported into point cloud data. This paper will investigate the accuracy of Apple’s mobile phone LiDAR when obtaining geometry from multiple exemplar vehicles. This mobile phone LiDAR data will be compared against LiDAR captured from the same exemplar vehicles using the current standard technology, the FARO Focus 3D scanner. Multiple applications will be chosen for the mobile phone LiDAR export to investigate accuracy differences between the applications, and results are compared using the software CloudCompare.
CitationMiller, S., Hashemian, A., Gillihan, R., and Helms, E., "A Comparison of Mobile Phone LiDAR Capture and Established Ground based 3D Scanning Methodologies," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0832, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0832.
- FARO https://www.faro.com/en/Resource-Library/Tech-Sheet/techsheet-faro-focus-laser-scanners
- Carter , N. , Hashemian , A. , Rose , N. , and Neale , W. Evaluation of the Accuracy of Image Based Scanning as a Basis for Photogrammetric Reconstruction of Physical Evidence SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1467 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1467
- Neale , W. , Marr , J. , and Hessel , D. Nighttime Videographic Projection Mapping to Generate Photo-Realistic Simulation Environments SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1415 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1415
- Terpstra , T. , Voitel , T. , and Hashemian , A. A Survey of Multi-View Photogrammetry Software for Documenting Vehicle Crush SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1475 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1475
- Neale , W. , Hessel , D. , and Koch , D. Determining Position and Speed through Pixel Tracking and 2D Coordinate Transformation in a 3D Environment SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1478 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1478
- Terpstra , T. , Miller , S. , and Hashemian , A. An Evaluation of Two Methodologies for Lens Distortion Removal when EXIF Data is Unavailable SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1422 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1422
- Terpstra , T. , Dickinson , J. , and Hashemian , A. Using Multiple Photographs and USGS LiDAR to Improve Photogrammetric Accuracy SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0516 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0516
- Bailey , A. , Funk , J. , Lessley , D. , Sherwood , C. et al. Validation of a Videogrammetry Technique for Analyzing American Football Helmet Kinematics Sports Biomechanics 2018 10.1080/14763141.2018.1513059
- Terpstra , T. , Dickinson , J. , Hashemian , A. , and Fenton , S. Reconstruction of 3D Accident Sites using USGS LiDAR, Aerial Images, and Photogrammetry SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0423 2019 10.4271/2019-01-0423
- Danaher , D. , Neale , W. , McDonough , S. , and Donaldson , D. Low Speed Override of Passenger Vehicles with Heavy Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0430 2019 10.4271/2019-01-0430
- Neale , W.T. , Terpstra , T. , Mckelvey , N. , and Owens , T. Visualization of Driver and Pedestrian Visibility in Virtual Reality Environments SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0856 2021 10.4271/2021-01-0856
- Terpstra , T. , Hashemian , A. , Gillihan , R. , King , E. et al. Accuracies in Single Image Camera Matching Photogrammetry SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0888 2021 10.4271/2021-01-0888
- Heinrichs , B. and Yang , M. Bias and Repeatability of Measurements from 3D Scans Made using iOS-Based Lidar SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0891 2021 10.4271/2021-01-0891
- Vogt , M. , Rips , A. , and Emmelmann , C. Comparison of iPad Pro®’s LiDAR and TrueDepth Capabilities with an Industrial 3D Scanning Solution Technologies. 9 2 2021 25 https://doi.org/10.3390/technologies9020025
- Gillihan , R.