This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Modelling of Coolant Filling and De-aeration in a Battery Electric Vehicle Cooling System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Trapped air bubbles inside coolant systems have adverse effect on the cooling performance. Hence, it is imperative to ensure an effective filling and de-aeration of the coolant system in order to have less air left before the operation of the coolant system. In the present work, a coolant/air multiphase VOF method was utilized using the commercial CFD software SimericsMP+® to study the coolant filling and subsequent de-aeration process in a Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) cooling system. First, validations of the numerical simulations against experiments were performed for a simplified coolant recirculation system. This system uses a tequila bottle for de-aeration and the validations were performed for different coolant flow rates to examine the de-aeration efficiency. A similar trend of de-aeration was captured between simulation and experimental measurement. Next, the same numerical techniques were further applied to a BEV cooling system to evaluate the efficiency of de-aeration processes. The first step of the process involved a vacuum filling simulation. After the filling process, the air remained in the system is about 10% of total system volume. Different combinations of a multi-position valve and pump on/off cycles strategies were explored to decrease trapped air in the system. It is found that the opening/closing strategy of the multi-position valve plays a crucial role for an effective de-aeration. The devised methodology is observed to be numerically robust and accurate, while having good computational efficiency for modelling the coolant filling and de-aeration process that takes large physical time.
CitationTao, M., Slike, J., Bhagat, M., Srinivasan, C. et al., "Numerical Modelling of Coolant Filling and De-aeration in a Battery Electric Vehicle Cooling System," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0775, 2022.
- Kelly , K. , Abraham , T. , Bennion , K. , Bharathan , D. et al. Assessment of Thermal Control Technologies for Cooling Electric Vehicle Power Electronics No. NREL/CP-540-42267. National Renewable Energy Lab.(NREL) Golden, CO (United States) 2008
- McKinley , T. and Alleyne , A. Real-Time Modeling of Liquid Cooling Networks in Vehicle Thermal Management Systems SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0386 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0386
- Ahmed , R. , Motin , A. , Srinivasan , C. , and Zhang , Y. CFD Analysis of a Centrifugal Pump Controlling a Vehicle Coolant Hydraulic System: A Comparison Between MRF and Transient Approaches SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0780 2022 https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0780
- Eichlseder , W. , Raab , G. , Hager , J. , and Raup , M. Use of Simulation Tools with Integrated Coolant Flow Analysis for the Cooling System Design SAE Technical Paper 971815 1997 https://doi.org/10.4271/971815
- Ning , G. Simulation of Engine Cooling System based on AMEsim Paper Presented at the 2nd International Conference on Information and Computing Science Manchester, United Kingdom 2009
- Gattei , L. , Rossi , R. , and Cardile , E. A Numerical Simulation Tool for Automotive Cooling System Design SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0398 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0398
- Srinivasan , C. , Zhang , C. , Gao , H. , Wang , D. et al. Modeling of Phase Change within a Wax Element Thermostat Embedded in an Automotive Cooling System SAE Int. J. Engines 10 2 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0131
- Varshney , M. , Ballani , A. , Pasunurthi , S.S. , Maiti , D. et al. 3D CFD Coolant System Simulation for Vehicle Drive-Cycle SAE Technical Paper 2021-26-0407 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-26-0407
- Brahmasani , L. , Solomon , S. , and Khan , P. A Secondary De-Aeration Circuit for an Engine Cooling System with Atmospheric Recovery Bottle to Improve De-Aeration SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2342 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2342
- Pandey , A. , Khan , S. , Dekker , R. Multiphase Flow in a Liquid-Ring Vacuum Pump Journal of Fluids Engineering 2021 143 1 011404 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4047848
- Pandey , A. , Schlautman , J. , and Nichani , V. Multi-Dimensional CFD Studies of Oil Drawdown in an i-4 Engine SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0397 2022 https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0397
- Ding , H. , Visser , F.C. , Jiang , Y. , and Furmanczyk , M. Demonstration and Validation of a 3D CFD Simulation Toll Predicting Pump Performance and Cavitation for Industrial Applications Journal of Fluids Engineering 133 011101 2011 1 14 https://doi.org/10.1115/FEDSM2009-78256