This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of High Refinement Simulation Prediction on the CAB Development for FMVSS226 Ejection Mitigation Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
NHTSA released the FMVSS226 Standard in 2011, and defined the requirements for ejection mitigation systems, which limit the linear travel of headform by 100mm. In China regulations, there are similar requirements starting in 2021. Therefore, on the basis of the existing airbag design, adding the rollover protection function becomes a challenge for the airbag development. During the development of the curtain airbag, the cushion design, inflator type, and the fold pattern, all have an important influence on the airbag unfolding direction, the airbag positioning time and the airbag internal pressure, and then significantly affect the occupant protection performance afterwards. In order to reduce the cost and shorten the development time, it is necessary to predict the process of cushion deployment kinematics and the internal pressure of the airbag with high refinement, and based on it to predict and evaluate the FMVSS226 ejection mitigation performance. In this paper, a set of complete simulation development process is proposed and developed with FEA simulation method. Based on the step-by-step simulation and test validation of the tank test, fabric material mechanical properties test, airbag folding test, airbag static deployment test, drop tower validation test, the high accuracy curtain airbag simulation model could be established. With this model, the airbag internal pressure and deployment shape at 1.5s and 6s were calculated. Based on the test validation at the specified target point of A4, the proper friction coefficients were obtained and validated. Then, the delicate FMVSS226 ejection mitigation simulation model was generated, afterwards the remained target points simulations were performed. According to the comparison between the calculated results and test results, the total discrepancy of the distance between head form and window glass was within 4.4%, which has high accuracy.
CitationShan, J., Xue, L., and Wang, C., "A Study of High Refinement Simulation Prediction on the CAB Development for FMVSS226 Ejection Mitigation Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0763, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0763.
- Kim , E.-S. , Kwak , D.-Y. , Choi , H.H. , Bae , H.-I. et al. A Study of Curtain Airbag Design Factors for Enhancement of Ejection Mitigation Performance Paper Number 11-0173, 22nd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) 2011
- Yang , B. , Shuhua , Z. , Huiyun , Z. , Qianghong , L. et al. The Analysis of FMVSS226 Ejection Mitigation Auto Sci-Tech 2016 10.3969/j.issn.1005-2550.2016.03.010
- Padmanaban , J. and Fitzgerald , M. Effectiveness of Rollover-Activated Side Curtain Airbags in Reducing Fatalities in Rollovers Proceedings of the Interna-Tional Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact 2012 76 90
- Narayanasamy , N. , Hamid , M. , Ma , D. , and Suarez , V.
- Zhang , H. , Ma , D. , and Raman , S.V. Cae-Based Side Curtain Airbag Design Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 20 20 2004 66 74 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2004.02059.x
- Ritter , P. 2002
- Yamanaka , T. 2011
- Yitong , Z. and Lizhou , L. The Compress Modulus of Fabric Along Warp of Weft Direction Textile 20 1 1999 10 12
- Shen , B. , Ren , S.S. , and Peng-Kai , J.I. 2012
- Audi , A.G. , BMW , A.G. , Daimler , A.G. , Porsche , A.G. et al. Modeling Guidelines for Airbag Models; Occupant Protection Simulation Description, Assembly, Validation, and Documentation of Airbag Models LV 36 2014 2009
- Zhang , H. , Raman , S. , Gopal , M. , and Han , T. Evaluation and Comparison of CFD Integrated Airbag Models in LS-DYNA, MADYMO and PAM-CRASH SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1627 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1627
- US DOT NHTSA 2011
- Mihora , D. , Friedman , K. , and Hutchinson , J. Effect of Friction between Head and Airbag Fabric on Ejection Mitigation Performance of Side Curtain Airbag Systems SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0004 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0004