This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Automotive Intelligent Catalyst that Contributes to Hydrogen Safety for the Decommissioning of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (1FD)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
March 2011, the Great East Japan Earthquake and subsequent Giant Tsunami caused insufficient nuclear reactor cooling at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (1F), resulting in a catastrophe of hydrogen explosion. The development of long-term safe storage technology for high-dose radioactive fuel debris collected by the decommissioning of nuclear power plants is an urgent issue. Inside the storage canister, strong radiation from fuel debris decomposes water to generate hydrogen and oxygen. The research and development have been proceeding in order to secure safety by simply placing a catalyst in the canister for oxidizing hydrogen and returning it into water.
The catalyst is called a Passive Autocatalytic Recombiner (PAR), and unlike catalysts for chemical plants, it is required to have robustness that can maintain its activity for more than 30 years in an environment where temperature, humidity, gas concentration, etc. cannot be controlled. Here, it is expected that “An Intelligent Catalyst” for automotive emissions control exhibits excellent performance even in such a harsh environment.
The intelligent catalyst is the nanostructure designed perovskite catalyst that has the rejuvenating function instead of preventing aging. Its unique properties were published in “Nature”. The perovskite-type intelligent catalyst has been reported in many SAE Papers since 1993, and it was the enthusiastic discussions at the SAE Annual Meetings that refined and perfected this technology.
Here, the authors express their gratitude and emphasize that the technology developed as a catalyst for automobiles is expected to be useful not only in other industries but also as a relief technology from the national crisis.
- Hirohisa Tanaka - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Sayaka Masaki - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Takuro Aotani - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Kohei Inagawa - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Sogo Iwata - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Tatsuya Aida - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Tadasuke Yamamoto - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Tomoaki Kita - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Hitomi Ono - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Keisuke Takenaka - Kwansei Gakuin University
- Masashi Taniguchi - Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd.
- Daiju Matsumura - Japan Atomic Energy Agency
- Ernst-Arndt Reinecke - Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
CitationTanaka, H., Masaki, S., Aotani, T., Inagawa, K. et al., "An Automotive Intelligent Catalyst that Contributes to Hydrogen Safety for the Decommissioning of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (1FD)," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0534, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0534.
- Nishihata , Y. , Mizuki , J. , Akao , T. , Tanaka , H. et al. Self-Regeneration of a Pd-Perovskite Catalyst for Automotive Emissions Control Nature 418 2002 164 167
- Tanaka , H. , Taniguchi , M. , Uenishi , M. , Kajita , N. et al. Self-Regenerating Rh- and Pt-based Perovskite Catalysts for Automotive-Emissions Control Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 45 2006 5998 6002
- Tanaka , H. , Uenishi , M. , Tan , I. , Kimura , M. et al. An Intelligent Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1301 2001 https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1301
- Perovskite-Pd Three-Way Catalysts for Automotive Applications SAE Technical Paper 930251 1993 https://doi.org/10.4271/930251
- Tanaka , H. , Fujikawa , H. , and Takahashi , I. Excellent Oxygen Storage Capacity of Perovskite-PD Three way Catalysts SAE Technical Paper 950256 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/950256
- Tanaka , H. and Yamamoto , M. Improvement in Oxygen Storage Capacity SAE Technical Paper 960794 1996 https://doi.org/10.4271/960794
- Yamada , K. , Tanaka , H. , Matsuura , S. , and Sato , Y. Durability of Three-Way Catalysts with Precious Metals Loaded on Different Location SAE Technical Paper 960795 1996 https://doi.org/10.4271/960795
- Yamada , K. , Tanaka , H. , and Yamamoto , M. Oxygen Storage Capacity on Cerium Oxide - Precious Metal System SAE Technical Paper 970464 1997 https://doi.org/10.4271/970464
- Yamamoto , M. and Tanaka , H. Influence of Support Materials on Durability of Palladium in Three-Way Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 980664 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/980664
- Tan , I. , Uenishi , M. , Yamada , K. , and Tanaka , H. Influence of Oxygen Storage Characteristics on Automobile Emissions SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1076 1999 https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1076
- Kajita , N. , Uenishi , M. , Tan , I. , Tanaka , H. et al. Regeneration of Precious Metals in Various Designed Intelligent Perovskite Catalysts SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0735 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0735
- Narita , K. , Uenishi , M. , Taniguchi , M. , Tan , I. et al. A Hexa-Aluminate Automotive Three-Way Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0736 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0736
- Sato , N. , Tanaka , H. , Tan , I. , Uenishi , M. et al. Design of a Practical Intelligent Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0813 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0813
- Tan , I. , Tanaka , H. , Uenishi , M. , Kajita , N. et al. Research on the Co-free Intelligent Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0812 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0812
- Taniguchi , M. , Uenishi , M. , Tan , I. , Tanaka , H. et al. Thermal Properties of the Intelligent Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1272 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1272
- Naito , K. , Tanaka , H. , Taniguchi , M. , Uenishi , M. et al. Development of a Rh-Intelligent Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0851 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0851
- Matsuhisa , Y. , Taniguchi , M. , Uenishi , M. , Tan , I. et al. Improvement of the Oxygen-Storage Capacity of an Intelligent Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1644 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1644
- Ono , H. , Takenaka , K. , Kita , T. , Taniguchi , M. et al. Research on Hydrogen Safety Technology Utilizing the Automotive Catalyst E-Journal of Advanced Maintenance 11 1 2019 40 45
- Reinecke , E.-A. , Takenaka , K. , Ono , H. , Kita , T. et al. Performance Tests of Catalysts for the Safe Conversion of Hydrogen Inside the Nuclear Waste Containers in Fukushima Daiichi Inter. J. of Hydrogen Energy 46 2021 12511 12521 0.1016/j.ijhydene.2020.08.262
- Simon , B. , Reinecke , E.-A. , Kubelt , C. , and Allelein , H.-J. Start-up Behaviour of a Passive Auto-Catalytic Recombiner Under Counter Flow Conditions: Results of a First Orienting Experimental Study Nuclear Engineering and Design 278 2014 317 322
- Steffen , P.-M. , Reinecke , E.-A. , Kelm , S. , Bentaïb , A. et al. Prevention of Hydrogen Accumulation Inside the Vacuum Vessel Pressure Suppression System of the ITER facility by Means of Passive Auto-Catalytic Recombiners I nternational Journal of Hydrogen Energy 44 2019 8971 8980
- Matsumura , D. , Taniguchi , M. , Tanaka , H. , and Nishihata , Y. In Situ X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy Study on Water Formation Reaction of Palladium Metal Nanoparticle Catalysts Inter. J. Hydrogen Energy 42 11 2017 7749
- Matsumura , D. , Nishihata , Y. , Mizuki , J. , Taniguchi , M. et al. Dynamic Structural Change in Pd Perovskite Automotive Catalyst Studied by Time-Resolved Dispersive X-Ray Absorption Fine Structure J. Appl. Phys. 107 2010 124319
- Tanaka , H. , Uenishi , M. , Taniguchi , M. , Tan , I. et al. The Intelligent Catalyst having the Self-regenerative Function of Pd, Rh and Pt for Automotive Emissions Control Catal. Today 117 2006 321 328