This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Vibration-Dampening (Reduction) through Split Engine Mounting Arm for Passenger Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive industry is focusing on NVH reduction and customer comfort for passenger vehicle. Structural optimization is a one of the effective tool to obtain an optimum design to achieve NVH reduction. For an internal combustion engine, there exist two basic dynamic disturbances: a) the firing pulse due to the explosion of the fuel in the cylinder and b) the inertia force and torque caused by the rotating and reciprocating parts (piston, connecting rod and crank).
The usage of engine mounts is the best solution for dampening the effect of vibrations and transmitting forces between the engine and the automotive body structure. In this paper, application of structural optimization in the design of a engine mount has been carried out. Effort has been taken to develop engine-mounting arm with two different designs solution. Further, engine with two different configurations has been tested at Engine test bed and vehicle level to understand the behaviour in real environment. Further results has been compared and analysed for both configuration and further actions proposed.
CitationGavade, S., Gangurde, P., Bhargava, A., Walhekar, V. et al., "Engine Vibration-Dampening (Reduction) through Split Engine Mounting Arm for Passenger Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0213, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0213.
- Agarwal , K. , Hazra , S. , and Kolage , V. Virtual Analysis of Engine Mount Stiffness and Stopper Gap Tuning for Better NVH Performance SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0196 2017 10.4271/2017-26-0196 Behera , R. , Kayal , S. , Mohanta , N.R. , and Sutradhard , G.
- Fu , J. , Pang , J. , Hi , C. , Xu , X. et al. Study of Startup Transient Vibration of a Vehicle with 3-Cylinder Engine Internoise Technical Paper 2014
- Lee , Y. Study on Transient Vibration Response Characteristics of Front Transverse Power Train at the Key On/Off SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2283 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2283
- Gillespie , T.D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics SAE 1992
- Matsuda , A. , Hayashi , Y. , and Hasegawa , J.
- Chang , H.S. A Study on The Analysis Method for Optimizing Mounting Bracket SAE Technical Paper Series 2006-01-1480 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1480
- Lee , D.C. and Lee , J.I. Structural Optimization Concept for The Design of an Aluminum Control Arm I Mech E, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 217 2003 647 655
- Nagi , Y.Y. , Rao , G.N. , and Dukkipati , V. A Literature Review of Automotive Vehicle Engine Mounting Systems Mechanism and Machine Theory 36 1 2001 10.1016/S0094-114X(00)00023-9