This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Management and Energy Consumption Balanced Design for Active Grill Shutter Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The active grill shutters (AGS) on the vehicle have been widely used in recent years due to increased demand on fuel economy and CO2 emission. The closed AGS helps to reduce air drag by preventing air going into underhood, which results in less engine torque and less fuel consumption. The AGS also need to ensure adequate cooling air for radiator, condenser and other components in the underhood, so that the control strategy should be carefully designed for both thermal management and energy consumption. A sport utility vehicle (SUV) equipped AGS is analyzed, and the AGS control strategy is developed with the help of simulation and experiment. Drag coefficients for series of shutter rotation angles are evaluated using a 3-D full-vehicle model. The maximum air drag coefficient benefit is found to be 9 counts, and most of the benefit is obtained around fully closed status. The fan control is considered as inputs for AGS strategy design, and a four-requirement strategy is developed. A chassis dynamo experiment is conducted in a climate wind tunnel to determine the best AGS control strategy aiming at minimum energy consumption as well as ensuring thermal management. The control strategy is programmed on the vehicle and tested in WLTC cycle, which demonstrates a reasonable shutter angle response and stable engine coolant temperature. The fuel economy benefit in WLTC is also measured, which shows 2% reduction in contrast with the fully open status.
- Junjie Yan - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Xiaobing Liu - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Junfeng Cheng - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Yanyan Feng - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Jianming Zan - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Richard Sun - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
CitationYan, J., Liu, X., Cheng, J., Feng, Y. et al., "Thermal Management and Energy Consumption Balanced Design for Active Grill Shutter Control," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0187, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0187.
- Charnesky , S. , Fadler , G. , and Lockwood , T. Variable and Fixed Airflow for Vehicle Cooling SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 4 1 2011 1286 1296 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1340
- Pfeifer , C. Evolution of Active Grille Shutters SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0633 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0633
- Filipe , F.B. , Felipe , M. , Flavio , K.M. , Julio , C.L.A. et al. 2016
- Larson , L. , Woodiga , S. , Gin , R. , and Lietz , R. Aerodynamic Investigation of Cooling Drag of a Production Sedan Part 1: Test Results SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10 2 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1521
- Larson , L. , Gin , R. , and Lietz , R. Aerodynamic Investigation of Cooling Drag of a Production Sedan Part 2: CFD Results SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10 1 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1528
- Larson , L. and Woodiga , S. Aerodynamic Investigation of Cooling Drag of a Production Pickup Truck Part 1: Test Results SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 11 5 2018 477 491 10.4271/2018-01-0740
- El-Sharkawy , A.E. , Kamrad , J.C. , Lounsberry , T.H. , Baker , G.L. et al. Evaluation of Impact of Active Grille Shutter on Vehicle Thermal Management SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 4 1 2011 1244 1254 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1172
- Cho , Y.-C. , Chang , C.-W. , Shestopalov , A. , and Tate , E. Optimization of Active Grille Shutters Operation for Improved Fuel Economy SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars-Mech. Syst. 10 2 2017 563 572 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1513
- Bouilly , J. , Lafossas , F. , Mohammadi , A. , and Van Wissen , R. Evaluation of Fuel Economy Potential of an Active Grille Shutter by the Means of Model Based Development Including Vehicle Heat Management SAE Int. J. Engines 8 5 2015 2394 2401 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2536
- Mustafa , R. , Schulze , M. , Eilts , P. , Küçükay , F. et al. Improved Energy Management Using Engine Compartment Encapsulation and Grille Shutter Control SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 2 2012 803 812 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1203
- Tian, Y. Fuel Efficiency Technology Impact on Radiator Thermal Durability SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0498 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0498
- El-Sharkawy , A. A Comprehensive Approach for Estimation of Automotive Component Life due to Thermal effects SAE Technical Paper 2018-37-0019 2018 10.4271/2018-37-0019
- Dutta , N. , Spenley , M. , Cromback-Dugeny , P. , Stegmann , B. et al. Active Grille Shutters Control and Benefits in Medium to Large SUV: A System Engineering Approach SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0945 2020 10.4271/2020-01-0945
- Wolf , T. Developing a Theory for Active Grille Shutter Aerodynamics-Part 1: Base Theory SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5063 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5063
- Wolf , T. Developing a Theory for Active Grille Shutter Aerodynamics-Part 2: Effect of Flap Thickness and Shape SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5095 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5095