This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Built-In Type Dashboard Camera with Reliability and Usability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dashcam, which is considered essential parts of vehicles in Korea, are installed in most vehicles for proofs of accidents or threatened driving of other vehicles, and insurance premiums. Also global market is growing continuously.
Aftermarket dashcams have been developed with many improvements such as higher resolution camera and a LCD, however still have technical limitations in usability and durability.
The First limitation is that the dashcam which mounted on windshield can be separated and injure at an accident due to a collision impact, and the device obstructs the driver's vision. In addition, the connection of the power supply may cause a vehicle damages such as a fire due to a worker's mistake or a product defect. Secondly, in order to replay the recorded video, it is not easy to remove the SD card and check it on the computer. Moreover, since the LCD is so small, it is difficult to search and replay the wanted video from the list in many files. The third limitation is about durability and reliability, when operating in the high temperature condition, the device's own operating temperature limitation and product heat dissipation efficiency such as semiconductors are not sufficient, so that the device cannot operate or have physical damages. For this reason, it automatically shuts down at high temperatures to prevent damages. The Next, the micro SD card storage memory should be formatted by the customer at regular intervals and should be replaced regularly because of the low-durability. In addition, the terminal contact characteristic of the SD card is very weak to vibration, so if a big accent occurs, the recorded videos are often not properly saved due to a poor connection. Lastly, according to using vehicle’s battery for the parking recording, the battery can be completely discharged and the durability is degraded.
This paper introduces the development of a built-in type dashcam with reliability and usability that can operate vehicle operation environment.
The dashcam was launched under the brand name 'Built-in Cam’ applied to mass production starting with the SONATA model in 2019. Now over than 20 car model of Hyundai, Kia and Genesis brands had equipped Built-in cam in South Korea and Russia.
CitationJeong, D. and Ahn, H., "Development of a Built-In Type Dashboard Camera with Reliability and Usability," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0111, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0111.
- https:// direct.samsungfire.com
- Lee , Samuel United State. Black Box Market Trends KOTRA News 2020 https://news.kotra.or.kr/
- https:// www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/claims/7-reasons-to-use-a-dash-cam.html Insurance.com
- Lee , Jinhee Is Germany's Black Box Market Revitalized? KOTRA News 2019 https://news.kotra.or.kr/
- Sheahan , Maria Smith , Alexander Dashcam Footage Gets Top German Court Approval for Car Crash Cases Reuters 2018 https://www.reuters.com/
- Yoon , Ga-young United Kingdom Vehicle Black Box (dashcam) Trend KOTRA News 2020 https://news.kotra.or.kr/
- Lee , Maeng-Maeng China Car Black Box Market Trends KOTRA News 2019 https://news.kotra.or.kr/
- Cho , Youngjoo Japanese Black Box Market Trends KOTRA News 2020 https://news.kotra.or.kr/
- KS C 5078:2015
- IEC 63005-1:2017
- IEC 63005-2:2019
- GB/T 38892-2020