This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling Compressor Pressure Ratio vs. Mass Flow Rate Including Choke Line and Surge Line Using Scaling Theorem
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a procedure to obtain the compressor map (pressure ratio vs. mass flow rate) is showed by scaling of the available compressor maps with similar shape and design using scaling theorem. The reason to develop such procedure is that in industrial application, a new compressor map need be developed before the complete geometry and hardware of compressor are known. Such procedure is especially useful for users such as engine or vehicle OEM to quickly select turbocharger compressor independently. The scaling law is used to model the non-dimensional parameters of compressor head coefficient vs. mass flow coefficient. Detail procedure from the non-dimensional parameters to the final compressor performance data are described.
CitationYang, B., "Modeling Compressor Pressure Ratio vs. Mass Flow Rate Including Choke Line and Surge Line Using Scaling Theorem," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0029, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0029.
- Guarda , G. , Pesyridis , A. , Sam , A. et al. Preliminary Investigation of the Performance of an Engine Equipped with an Advanced Axial Turbocharger Turbine Applied Science 10 2020 7452 10.3390/app10217452
- Dufour , G. , Carbonneau , X. , Cazalbou , J.-B. , and Chassaing , P. Practical Use of Similarity and Scaling Laws for Centrifugal Compressor Design Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo 2006: Power for Land, Sea, and Air Barcelona, Spain 8-11 May 2006 1131 1140
- Canova , M. , Naddeo , M. , Liu , Y. , Zhou , J. et al. A Scalable Modeling Approach for the Simulation and Design Optimization of Automotive Turbochargers SAE Int. J. Engines 8 4 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1288
- Song , K. , Zhao , B. , Sun , H. , Yi , W. et al. A Physics-Based Zero-Dimensional Model for the Mass Flow Rate of a Turbocharger Compressor with Uniform/Distorted Inlet Condition Internation Journal of Engine Research May 2018 10.1177/1468087418773673
- Fink , D.A. , Cumpsty , N.A. , and Greitzer , E.M. Surge Dynamics in a Free-Spool Centrifugal Compressor System J. Turbomachinery 114 1992 321 332
- Dehner , R. , Selamet , A. , Keller , P. , Becker , M. et al. Simulation of Mild Surge in a Turbocharger Compression System SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2142 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2142
- Moore , F.K. and Greitzer , E.M. A Theory of Post-Stall Transients in Axial Compression Systems. Part I: Development of Equations ASME J. Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 108 1986 68 76