This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of advanced emergency braking system performance for trucks with drum brakes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 10, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Driver assistance systems have had increasing application to trucks and the Advanced Emergency Braking System (AEBS) is one of these systems that have a relevant contribution to safety. The target of the AEBS is to reduce the risk of accidents or help to minimize their consequences, through a strategy of sequential steps that start sending warning signals of the brake demand to the driver and end with the advanced total braking action, if the driver has not reacted to the warning signals sent. The objective of this paper will be show the influence of the some operational conditions of the vehicle, as speed and load, as well as the temperature of the brakes on the stopping distance by a truck with drum brakes during a brake request by the AEBS. The methodology will include a description of the concept and functioning of the AEBS and the tests carried out with a truck with drum brakes at several operating conditions described above during braking. A dummy will be used to simulate a passenger vehicle as an obstacle to stimulate a truck emergency braking demand with the aid of the AEBS, in addition to this, comparative results of braking performance obtained as stopping distance will be shown. Thus, it will be possible to show the benefits of applying the AEBS as an active safety system and its effective contribution to vehicle safety.
CitationSilva, N., Fernandes, D., Silva, A., and Silva, C., "Analysis of advanced emergency braking system performance for trucks with drum brakes," SAE Technical Paper 2021-36-0421, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-36-0421.
- Fernandes , D.L.G. , Hage , M.M. , Adas , C.A. , and Canale , A.C. Loading Influence Analysis on Braking Performance and Stability of Heavy Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3284 2000
- Fernandes , D.L.G. , Adas , C.A. , and Canale , A.C. Performance Charts: A Complete Analysis of Heavy Vehicle Braking Performance SAE Technical Paper 982915 1998
- Fernandes , D.L.G. , Adas , C.A. , and Canale , A.C. Performance, Distribution of Braking and Compatibility of Heavy Vehicles during Braking Pr°Cess including ECE-R13 Requirements SAE Technical Paper 973045 1997
- Fernandes , D.L.G. , Fonseca , B.J. , Adas , C.A. , and Canale , A.C. A Description of Computer System for the Study of Braking Performance of Heavy Trucks SAE Technical Paper 952214 1995
- Fernandes , D.L.G. , Fonseca , B.J. , Adas , C.A. , and Canale , A.C. A Study of the Influence of the Brake Force Distribution on the Directional Stability of Heavy Vehicles during Braking Performance SAE Technical Paper 952213 1995
- Fernandes , D.L.G. , Fonseca , B.J. , Adas , C.A. , and Canale , A.C. A Study of Braking Performance of Heavy Trucks using the Static Equilibrium or Centre of Gravity Range Technique SAE Technical Paper 952215 1995
- Fernandes , D.L.G. , Fonseca , B.J. , Adas , C.A. , Canale , A.C. Performance and Directional Stability of Combination Vehicles during Braking Pr°Cess Under Any Operational Condition ISATA International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation Florence, Italy 1997
- Fernandes , D.L.G. 2000
- Iombriller , S.F. 2003
- Gillespie , T.D. Fundamentals of vehicle dynamics 2nd Warrendale, U.S.A. SAE 1992
- Limpert , R. Brake design and safety Warrendale, U.S.A. SAE 1992
- Silva , N.L. Desenvolvimento de um Hardware in the Loop (HiL) de um Sistema de Frenagem com ABS Hidráulico USP 2021