This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
1D Simulation-Based Methodology for Automotive Grill Opening Area Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the methodology setup for grill opening area prediction at the early development phase of the product development lifecycle, using a commercially available 1D simulation tool- AMESIM. Representative under hood has been modeled using Grill, Condenser, Radiator, intercooler, fan, and engine components. Vehicle velocity is used as an input to derive the airflow passing through the grill and other under-hood components based on ram air coefficient, pressure drop through different components (Grill, Heat exchanger, Fan & Engine). This airflow is used to predict the top tank temperature of the radiator. Derived airflow is correlated with airflow obtained from CFD simulation. A balance has been achieved between cooling drag & fan power consumption at different grill opening areas for target top tank temperature. Top tank temperature has been predicted at two different extreme engine heat rejection operating points. The Proposed methodology has shown a good correlation with prototype testing on Dyno level test data.
Citationpauriyal, R. and Thiyagarajan, R., "1D Simulation-Based Methodology for Automotive Grill Opening Area Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2021-28-0133, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-28-0133.
- Baeder , D. , Indinger , T. , Adams , N. , and Unterlechner , P. Aerodynamic Investigation of Vehicle Cooling-Drag SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0170 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0170
- Williams , J. An Automotive Front-End Design Approach for Improved Aerodynamics and Cooling SAE Technical Paper 850281 1985 https://doi.org/10.4271/850281
- Kubokura , T. , Uno , T. , Evans , N. , Kuroda , H. et al. Study of Cooling Drag Reduction Method by Controlling Cooling Flow SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0679 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0679
- Kim , J.M. , Cho , H.K. , Kim , T.K. , Kim , M.S. et al. A Numerical Study of the Effect of Small Passenger Car’s Grille Shape on the Aerodynamics Performance Trans. Korean Society of Automotive Engineers 23 1 74 87
- Hucho , W. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles 4th SAE 1998
- Xu , B. , Leffert , M. , and Belanger , B. Fuel Economy Impact of Grille Opening and Engine Cooling Fan Power on a Mid-Size Sedan SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0857 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0857
- Schaub , U.W. July 1978
- Olson , M. Aerodynamic Effects of Front End Design on Automobile Engine Cooling Systems SAE Technical Paper 760188 1976 https://doi.org/10.4271/760188
- Lindsay , J. Cooling Testing: Operating Conditions and Temperature Goals SAE Technical Paper 820048 1982 https://doi.org/10.4271/820048
- Kim , H.J. and Kim , C.J. A Numerical Analysis for the Cooling Module Related to Automobile Air-Conditioning System Applied Thermal Engineering 28 14-15 1896 1905
- Ding , W. , Williams , J. , Karanth , D. , and Sovani , S. CFD Application in Automotive Front-End Design SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0337 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0337
- Caltrider , J. , Davis , F. , Madhavan , R. , and Veling , T. Impact of Computer Aided Engineering on Ford Light Truck Cooling Design and Development Processes SAE Technical Paper 931104 1993 https://doi.org/10.4271/931104
- Williams , J. and Vemaganti , G. CFD Quality - A Calibration Study for Front-End Cooling Airflow SAE Technical Paper 980039 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/980039
- Moffat , J. Coupling of 1-D and 3-D CFD Models to Predict Transient Hydraulics in an Engine Cooling Circuit SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1285 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1285
- Pathuri , R. and Nagarhalli , P. Deployment of 1D Simulation for Engine Cooling Performance and its Correlations with Vehicle Level Testing SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0216 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0216
- Jaybhay , S. , Singhal , S. , Dubey , R.R. , and Kapoor , S. 1D Simulation Accuracy Enhancement for Predicting Powertrain Cooling System Performance SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0298 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0298
- Barnard , R.H.
- Schittkowski , K. On the Convergence of a Sequential Quadratic Programming Method with an Augmented Lagrangian Line Search Function Optimization 14 1983 197 216
- Schittkowski , K. NLPQL: A FORTRAN Subroutine Solving Constrained Nonlinear Programming Problems Annals of Operations Research 5 1985/86 485 500