This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Multiphysics Approach for NVH Analysis of PMSM Traction Motor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electric vehicles are fast expanding in market size, and there are increasing customer expectations on all aspects of the vehicle, including its noise and vibrational characteristics. Irritable noise from traction motors account for around 15% of the overall noise in an electric vehicle, and thus, has a need to be analysed and studied. This study focuses on identifying the critical vibro - acoustic orders for an 8 pole PMSM (Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor) for three cases - healthy, with static eccentricity and with dynamic eccentricity. PMSM motors are widely used for traction and other applications due to their higher power density along with compact size. A coupled approach between electromagnetic and vibro - acoustic simulation is deployed to characterise the NVH behaviour of the motor. The electromagnetic forcing that causes this noise is evaluated using a 2D electromagnetic analysis, followed by NVH analysis where critical harmonics and noise levels from the motor are obtained. Prominent noise (more than 70 dB) at human sensitive frequencies (~2.5 kHz) are observed during certain speeds of operation. Also, amplification of critical and neighbouring harmonics due to rotor eccentricity is also observed.
CitationMahadevan, U., Kumar, V., and Sambharam, T., "A Multiphysics Approach for NVH Analysis of PMSM Traction Motor," SAE Technical Paper 2021-26-0520, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-26-0520.
- Rezig , A. , Mekideche , M.R. , and Djerdir , A. Effect of Rotor Eccentricity Faults on Noise Generation in Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors Progress in Electromagnetics Research 2010
- Iamamura , B.A.T. , Le Menach , Y. , Tounzi , A. , and Sadowski , N. Study of Static and Dynamic Eccentricities of a Synchronous Generator Using 3-D FEM IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 4 2010
- Lin , F. , Zuo , S. , and Deng , W. Impact of Rotor Eccentricity on Electromagnetic Vibration and Noise of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Journal of Vibroengineering 2018
- Lee , C.I. and Jang , G.H. Experimental Measurement and Simulated Verification of the Unbalanced Magnetic Force in Brushless DC Motors EEE Transaction on Magnetics 2008
- Lennström , D. 2013 Methods for Motor Noise Evaluation and Control in Electric Vehicles , Universitetstryckeriet
- Sarrazin , M. , Gillijns , S. , Anthonis , J. , and Janssens , K. 2013 NVH Analysis of a 3 Phase 12/8 SR Motor Drive for HEV Applications International Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Symposium , Barcelona, Spain 10
- Kim , M. and Kim , H. Abnormal Electromagnetic Noise of Motors Depending on Fixing Methods of Permanent Magnets World Electric Vehicle Journal 2015
- Sedky , M.M.M. Diagnosis of Static, Dynamic and Mixed Eccentricity in Line Start Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor by Using FEM International Journal of Energy and Power Engineering 2014
- Wang , Y. , Gao , H. , Wang , H. , and Ma , W. 2020 NVH Optimization Analysis of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor by Rotor Slotting Vehicles
- Yoon , T. Magnetically Induced Vibration in a Permanent-Magnet Brushless DC Motor with Symmetric Pole-Slot Configuration IEEE Transaction on Magnetics 2005