This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Autonomous Driving Safety Against Hazardous Drivers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
While a safe driving eco-system based on co-operation is being thought off as a possible solution to make Autonomous Driving (AD) a reality - it makes it mandatory to have every car equipped with Vehicle-to-Vehicle (V2V) and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) communication technology, depends upon every driver’s proactiveness to understand their responsibility on the road when they are being warned to avoid certain maneuvers from these modules and also questions the existence of older cars on the road which are in good driving condition but it is not feasible enough or cost-effective to install V2V and V2I communication technology within. This paper provides a solution to help keep a balance within the autonomous safe driving environment where potential hazardous vehicles (e.g. manually driven cars without any V2V, V2I modules, cars with V2V, V2I modules being driven by drivers not sincere enough to follow warnings from these modules) can co-exist and the autonomous vehicles can be kept situation-ready for possible exceptions that can take place by the threat of the existence of a potential hazardous vehicle in proximity. The idea established by this paper uses the existing resources to remove certain infrastructure dependencies (related to V2V and V2I technology) of autonomous driving and addresses the concern of uncertain human behavior that can affect the safe driving eco-system. Tagging and sensing the existence of hazardous vehicles post which alerting drivers and the control models to reconsider autonomous maneuvers can reduce chances of fatality to a great extent.
- Martínez-Díaz , M. and Soriguera , F. Autonomous Vehicles: Theoretical and Practical Challenges Transportation Research Procedia 2018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trpro.2018.10.103
- rgbsi 2020 https://blog.rgbsi.com/what-to-know-about-v2v-technology
- Arena , F. and Pau , G. An Overview of Vehicular Communications Future Internet 11 2 January 2019 27 10.3390/fi11020027
- Pendleton , S.D. , Andersen , H. , Du , X. , Shen , X. et al. Perception, Planning, Control, and Coordination for Autonomous Vehicles Machines 5 1 February 2017 6 10.3390/machines5010006
- Ali , S. June 2019
- Sousanis , J. 2011 https://web.archive.org/web/20110827104934/http://wardsauto.com/ar/world_vehicle_population_110815/