This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rear Seat Child Occupant Safety in Rear-Impact Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Child safety in the back seat during a rear-impact chiefly depends on how well the survival space is maintained at their location. Collapsing front seatback pose a foreseeable hazard as it intrudes into the survival space of the child on the backseat. Furthermore, the condition gets worse in the presence of a structural intrusion from the rear that tends to push the occupant further closer to the backward collapsing seatbacks.
This paper reports two real-world rear impact collisions resulting severe to fatal injuries to the child occupant seating behind the driver. Each collision shows the dangers of seatback collapse into the survival space of the child. Furthermore, the paper demonstrates safety through design concept by employing seats with strong seatback design resisting collapse into the survival space of the child.
The crash sled-testing are conducted to show the importance of front seatback strength preventing its collapse and occupant ramping up into the child’s survival space. Furthermore, occupant kinematics confirms seatbelt system working together with the seat to increase the level of occupant protection. The shoulder belt limits the shoulder motion and further impedes the occupant ramping up on the seatback. The head, neck and chest injury parameters for the front seat occupants remains below the published Injury Assessment Reference Value (IARV) confirming the advantage of stronger seatbacks in a rear impact scenario protecting rear and front seat occupants.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration The Road Ahead: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Strategic Plan 2016-2010 (DOT HS 812 343) Washington, DC Author 2016
- National Agency for Automotive Safety & Victim’s Aid https://www.nasva.go.jp
- Hershman , L.L. The US New Car Assessment Program (NCAP): Past, Present and Future SAE Technical Paper No. 2001-06-0245 2001 https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-06-0245
- De Haven , H. Accident Survival-Airplane and Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper No. 520016 1952 https://doi.org/10.4271/520016
- Franchini , E. The Crash Survival Space SAE Technical Paper No. 690005 1969 https://doi.org/10.4271/690005
- Hurley , T.R. , and Vandenburg , J.M. Small Airplane Crashworthiness Design Guide 2002
- Thorbole , C.K. , and Batzer , S.A. Occupant Protection via Frontal Crash Testing Analysis ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 48784 101 107 2008
- Barenyi , B. https://www.dpma.de/ponline/erfindergalerie/patente/de854157.pdf
- Brumbelow , M.L. , Baker , B.C. , and Nolan , J.M. Effects of Seat Belt Load Limiters on Driver Fatalities in Frontal Crashes of Passenger Cars International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2007
- Durbin , D.R. , Jermakian , J.S. , Kallan , M.J. , McCartt , A.T. et al. Rear Seat Safety: Variation in Protection by Occupant, Crash and Vehicle Characteristics Accident Analysis & Prevention 80 2015 185 192
- DOT-NHTSA https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2013/04/05/2013-07766/new-car-assessment-program-ncap
- Thorbole , C.K. Seatbelt Submarining Injury and Its Prevention Countermeasures: How a Cantilever Seat Pan Structure Exacerbate Submarining Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care 4 4 2015 587
- Thorbole , C.K. , and Naik , P. Role of Traumatic Seatbelt Fat Stranding in Automotive Crash Injury Analysis 26th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV): Technology: Enabling a Safer TomorrowNational Highway Traffic Safety Administration, No. 19-0137 2019
- Saczalski , K.J. , Burton , J.L. , Lewis , P.R. , Saczalski , T.K. et al. Evaluation of Rear Impact Seat System Performance Using a Combined Load Neck Injury Criteria and Hybrid III Surrogates ASME Applied Mechanics Division-Publications-AMD 251 2001 65 102
- Saczalski , K.J. , Sances , A. , Kumaresan , S. , Meyer , S. , Burton , J.L. , and Lewis Jr , P.R. Biomechanical Study of Rear Child Chest Injury Measures Related to Collapsing Front Seats in Rear Impacts ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 37106 265 266 2003
- Saczalski , K.J. , Burton , J.L. , Lewis , P.R. Jr , Friedman , K. , and Saczalski , T.K. Study of Seat System Performance Related to Injury of Rear Seated Children and Infants in Rear Impacts ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 36274 163 197 2002
- Mertz , H.J. , Irwin , A.L. , and Prasad , P. Biomechanical and Scaling Basis for Frontal and Side Impact Injury Assessment Reference Values SAE Technical Paper No. 2016-22-0018 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-22-0018
- Thorbole , C.K. Passive Safety for Autonomous Vehicles Safe Roads India Summit Conference Proceeding 2019 New Delhi November 2019 https://www.carhs.de/en/conference_proceedings/product/safe-roads-india-summit-2019.html
- Thorbole , C.K. Trauma Biomechanics for Autonomous Vehicle Passive Safety Designs Safety Update +active Conference Proceeding 2020 Wurzburg, Germany September 01-03 https://www.carhs.de/en/conference_proceedings