This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibrations and Torque Losses of Synchronizers in Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 05, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Synchronizers are shifting elements in transmissions with power interruption, such as manual transmissions (MT) and automated manual transmissions (AMT). Synchronizers are also used in dual clutch transmissions (DCT) for shifting the preselected idler gear in the load-free branch of the transmission. Electric drive units (EDU) mainly consist of a two-stage transmission combined with a high-speed electric motor. Synchronizers realize the power flow from an idler gear to a gear shaft of the transmission.
Automotive transmissions are usually operated with lubricating oils in order to minimize friction and wear of the mechanical components. Lubricating oil has a major influence on torque losses and on vibration behavior of transmission components.
Torsional vibrations of mechanical components in transmissions lead to natural vibrations with high impact forces and thus to high radiated airborne sound levels. This occurs in particular when hard surfaces impact and the components have a high level of spring stiffness in addition to low damping properties. A drive torque that has a rotational irregularity leads to torsional vibrations of the components outside the power flow and is the starting point for transmission noises. Synchronizers have a function-related circumferential backlash in order to be able to shift the gear in a synchronized manner and therefore contribute to undesirable transmission noises.
The aim of this work is to measure the vibrations of a synchronizer ring due to torsional vibration excitation while varying various parameters and to show the influences of the parameters. In particular, the lubricating oil has an influence on the torque losses and on the vibration behavior of a synchronizer. Lubricating oil with a low coefficient of friction due to its chemical structure leads to lower torque losses of the synchronizer and reduces the vibrations, which leads to a 1-2 dB(A) lower noise level of the transmission.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Baumann , A. , Fietkau , P. , and Bertsche , B. Nachbildung Verbrennungsmotorischer Drehschwingungen auf einem Getriebeprüfstand für Rasselgeräuschuntersuchungen Stuttgarter Symposium für Produktentwicklung Stuttgart 2011
- Naunheimer , H. , Bertsche , B. , Ryborz , J. , and Novak , W. Automotive Transmissions. Fundamentals, Selection, Design and Application Berlin, Heidelberg Springer 2011
- Skubacz , T. , Otto , S. , and Poll , G. Untersuchung von Schleppverlusten an Synchronisierungen Getriebe in Fahrzeugen 2008 Düsseldorf 2008
- Wirth , M. , Pflaum , H. , Höhn , B.-R. and Stahl , K. 2011
- Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG 2015 https://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/schaeffler_2/tpi/downloads_8/tpi_125_de_de.pdf
- Baumann , A. 2013
- Weidner , G. 1991
- Fietkau , P. , Baumann , A. , and Bertsche , B. Simulation of Hydrodynamic Forces on Passenger Car Synchronizer Rings During Rattling 2011 International Joint Tribology Conference New York 2011
- Fietkau , P. , Baumann , A. , and Bertsche , B. Simulation of Passenger Car Synchronizer Ring Movement During Rattling Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics 28 November 2012 3 16
- Singh , M. , Singh , P. , Kumar , K. , and Rawla , V. Development of Test Method to Validate Synchronizer Ring Design for Torsional Fluctuations in Manual Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0012 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-28-0012
- Barathiraj , K. , Goel , S. , Menon , P. , and Paul , K.J. Unloaded Synchronizer Wear in Manual Transmission Gearbox SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0334 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0334
- Liu , Z. , Shen , Y. , and Rinderknecht , S. Theoretical and Experimental Investigation on Power Loss of Vehicle Transmission Synchronizers with Spray Lubrication SAE International Journal of Advances and Current Practices in Mobility 2019 215 226
- Shen , Y. , Liu , Z. , and Rinderknecht , S. Modelling of Power Losses of Transmission Synchronizers in Neutral Position SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1228 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1228