This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of a Pneumatically Actuated Drag Reduction System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The main goal of race car aerodynamics is to generate a desired intensity of downforce for the least possible amount of drag. Nonetheless, the balance of the forces under all circumstances due to speed and acceleration is equally important. The modeling was performed using SolidWorks, and the analysis was done both analytically and by means of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) using a flow simulation with STAR-CCM+. The aerodynamics package, which includes the rear wing, front wing, and undertray that help in faster cornering, is analyzed in the full-car analysis. The full-car analysis is done for pitch and yaw. The increase in cornering ability can come from two major aspects: an increase in the aerodynamic downforce and a decrease in the aerodynamic drag of the vehicle. In order to implement the desired aerodynamics package, an airfoil with a predefined profile was selected. The main factor that limits the selection of an airfoil is its effectiveness at low velocities. Several airfoils suitable for low-velocity applications were considered. This thesis will hence define the design parameters of a rear wing that classifies as an aerodynamic device.
CitationSawant, A., Gudela, M., Karnik, A., and Katira, V., "Design and Analysis of a Pneumatically Actuated Drag Reduction System," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-5080, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-5080.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Milliken & Milliken Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Warrendale, PA SAE International 1995 I-56091-526-9
- Smith , C. Tune to Win Aero Publisher, Inc 1978 0-87938-071-3
- Smith , C. Engineering to Win Aero Publisher, Inc 1978 87938-071-3
- Merkel , J.P. 2013
- Schinestzki , W. , Schreiner , D. , and Falcão , C. Design of an Automatic Drag Reduction System Focusing on Cooling for Formula SAE Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0511 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-36-0511
- Katz , J. Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed Cambridge, MA Bentley Publishers 1995
- Jensen , K. 2010
- Wordley , S. and Saunders , J. Aerodynamics for Formula SAE: Initial Design and Performance Prediction SAE World Congr. 724 1 2006 0806