This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multiphysics Simulation of Electric Motor NVH Performance with Eccentricity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 31, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the emphasis of electrification in automotive industry, tremendous efforts are made to develop electric motors with high efficiency and power density, and reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). A multiphysics simulation workflow is used to predict the eccentricity-induced noise for GM’s Bolt EV motor. Both static and dynamic eccentricities are investigated along with axial tilt. Analysis results show that these eccentricities play a critical role in the NVH behavior of the motor assembly. Transient electromagnetic (EM) analysis is performed first by extruding 2D stator and rotor sections to form 3D EM models. Sector model is duplicated to form full 360-degree model. Stator is split into three rotated sections to characterize stator skew, and the skew between two sections of rotor and magnets are also modelled. Sinusoidal current is applied and lumped-sum forces on each stator tooth are computed. Next, full 3D structural model is constructed, and EM forces are applied as excitations for frequency domain analysis. Finally, surface velocities are computed for the motor fixture and used as boundary conditions in the harmonic acoustic analysis. DOE case studies are performed for baseline vs. multiple static and dynamic eccentricities including both offset and tilt. Analysis results show static eccentricity increases the winding and torque ripple orders, while dynamic eccentricity leads to significant increase in sidebands of dominant orders.
CitationZhang, H., Jaura, A., Kumar, D., Sambharam, T. et al., "Multiphysics Simulation of Electric Motor NVH Performance with Eccentricity," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1077, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-1077.
- Tong , W. Mechanical Design of Electric Motors CRC Press 2014
- He , S. NVH Design, Analysis and Optimization of Chevrolet Bolt Battery Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0994 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0994
- Zhang , H. , Ricci , J. , Cai , H. , and Jia , Y. Multiphysics Multi-Objective Optimization for Electric Motor NVH SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1461 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1461
- Loganayaki , A. and Kumar , R.B. Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor for Electric Vehicle Applications 2019 5th International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Systems (ICACCS) Coimbatore, India 2019 1064 1069 10.1109/ICACCS.2019.8728442
- Son , C. , Dong , J. , and Bauer , P. Acoustic Noise Analysis of Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine for Electric Vehicle Application 2020 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference & Expo (ITEC) IEEE 2020
- Fábio , L.M. , dos Santos , J.A. , Naclerio , F. , Gyselinck , J.J.C. et al. Multiphysics NVH Modeling: Simulation of a Switched Reluctance Motor for an Electric Vehicle IEEE Trans., Industrial Electronics 61 1 Jan. 2014
- Bracikowski , N. , Ilea , D. , Gillon , F. , Hecquet , M. et al. Design of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine in Order to Reduce Noise Under Multi-physic Contraints IEMDC 2011 - Internation Conference on Electric Machines and Drives May 2011
- Martis , C. , Fodorean , D. , Irimia , P.C. , and Husar , C.I. Vibroacoustic Behaviour Analysis of a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine for Automotive Applications UPEC 2014 - International Universities Power Engineering Conference Sep. 2014
- Kumar , D. , Sambharam , T. , Kottalgi , S. , Mandloi , P. et al. Electric Vehicle Powertrain Multiphysics NVH Simulation IECON 2018 - 44th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society Washington, DC 2018 490 495 10.1109/IECON.2018.8595134
- Dinesh , K. , Tushar , S. , Santosh , K. , and Padmesh , M. A Multiphysics Optimization Approach to Design Low Noise and Light Weight Electric Powertrain Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2017-43rd Annual Conference of the IEEE
- He , S. , Zhang , P. , Gandham , M. , Omell , B. et al. Three Dimensional Electromagnetic and NVH Analyses of Electric Motor Eccentricity to Enhance NVH Robustness for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0412 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0412
- Rezig , A. , Mekideche , M.R. , and Djerdir , A. Effect of Rotor Eccentricity Faults on Noise Generation in Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors Progress In Electromagnetics Research 15 2010 117 132
- Momen , F. , Rahman , K. , and Son , Y. Electrical Propulsion System Design of Chevrolet Bolt Battery Electric Vehicle IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 55 1 Jan.-Feb. 2019 376 384 10.1109/TIA.2018.2868280
- Deng , W. and Zuo , S. Electromagnetic Vibration and Noise of the Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motors for Electric Vehicles: An Overview IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 5 1 March 2019 59 70 10.1109/TTE.2018.2875481
- Pile , R. and Le Besnerais , J. Comparison of Main Magnetic Force Computation Methods for Noise and Vibration Assessment in Electrical Machines IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 54 7 2018 1 13
- Pile , R. , Parent , G. , Le Menach , Y. , Le Besnerais , J. et al. Effect of Mesh-to-Mesh Projection on the Magnetic Tooth Forces Calculation in Electrical Machines 2020 International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM). Vol. 1 IEEE 2020
- Ahmed , I. , Gandhi , J. , and Sambhram , T. Comprehensive e-NVH Analysis for Traction Motor 2019 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference (ITEC-India) IEEE 2019