This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of the Transmission Loss of Thin Panels Using the Two-Load Impedance Tube Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 31, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The two-load method is used to measure the transmission loss of thin panels in two different sized impedance tubes (3.49 cm and 10.16 cm). Samples were initially tested with a clamped boundary condition. This was followed by tests with an elastomer inserted between the tube and tested sample to adjust the boundary condition at the periphery. In all tests performed, the influence of the sample holding method could not be removed from the test. The measured transmission loss was compared to finite element simulation with good agreement for both impedance tubes. Additionally, the effect of a compliant boundary condition along the periphery of the sample was also validated via simulation.
CitationYan, X., Herrin, D., and Ghaisas, N., "Measurement of the Transmission Loss of Thin Panels Using the Two-Load Impedance Tube Method," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1059, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-1059.
- ASTM E90
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Laboratory Measurement of the Airborne Sound Barrier Performance of Flat Materials and Assemblies SAE Standard J1400 Jul. 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/J1400_201008
- Lung , T.Y. and Doige , A.G. A Time-Averaging Transient Testing Method for Acoustic Properties of Piping Systems and Mufflers with Flow Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 73 3 1983 867 876 https://doi.org/10.1121/1.389056
- Song , B.H. and Stuart Bolton , J. A Transfer-Matrix Approach for Estimating the Characteristic Impedance and Wave Numbers of Limp and Rigid Porous Materials The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 107 3 2000 1131 1152 https://doi.org/10.1121/1.428404
- ASTM International ASTM E2611-17: Standard Test Method for Normal Incidence Determination of Porous Material Acoustical Properties Based on the Transfer Matrix Method ASTM Internatinal i 2017 1 14 10.1520/E2611-17
- Varanasi , S. , Stuart Bolton , J. , Siegmund , T.H. , and Cipra , R.J. The Low Frequency Performance of Metamaterial Barriers Based on Cellular Structures Applied Acoustics 74 4 2013 485 495 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2012.09.008
- Vigran , T.E. Normal Incidence Sound Transmission Loss in Impedance Tube - Measurement and Prediction Methods Using Perforated Plates Applied Acoustics 73 4 2012 454 459 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2011.11.009
- Piscoya , R. and Ochmann , M. Calculation of the Transmission Loss of Thin Plates in a Kundt’s Tube Proceedings - European Conference on Noise Control 2 2012 560 565
- Kim , H.-S. , Kim , S.-R. , Lee , S.-H. , Seo , Y.-H. et al. Sound Transmission Loss of Double Plates with an Air Cavity Between Them in a Rigid Duct The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 139 5 2016 2324 2333 https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4946987