This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Target Development for Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Powertrain Sound Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 31, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Relative to Combustion Engine vehicles, electric powertrains are a blank canvas for sound. There are an increasing number of applications where sound is added to enhance the driving experience and increase pedestrian safety. In Hybrid vehicles, the combustion engine sound is not always present and must properly blend in with any additional sound added to the vehicle.
Vehicle manufacturers have an opportunity to reinforce their brand identity through the addition of the perfect, target sound. Each brand, market segment, and powertrain require unique sounds. In addition, shuttle or ride sharing applications highlight the need for added sound during other scenarios to reinforce the brand sound.
Traditional sound quality measurements and preference testing are very limited in defining the perfect sound due to the subjective nature of sound design. This paper describes an improvement over prior sound quality process development through the incorporation of several subjective input tools: Semantic Differential and Visual Mood Boards. These tools complement traditional sound quality subjective evaluation methods such as Rank Analysis and Paired Comparisons.
Several case study examples are presented to illustrate these techniques across various vehicle and powertrain types. A final design demonstrates the above process and highlights the new approach to develop a sound that meets the target brand character in the context of the NVH challenges specific to each powertrain application.
CitationTrumpy, D., Krueger, S., and Tousignant, T., "Target Development for Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Powertrain Sound Design," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1017, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-1017.
- Carron , M. , Dubois , F. , Misdariis , N. , Talotte , C. et. al. Designing Sound Identity: Providing New Communication Tools for Building Brands “Corporate Sound” Proceedings of the 9th Audio Mostly: A Conference on Interaction with Sound. Association for Computing Machinery 1 8 2014 10.1145/2636879.2636896
- Chang , K. , Kim , S. , Park , D. , Moon , S. et al. A Research on Brand Sound Positioning and Implementing with Active Sound Design SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1754 2017 https://doi/org.10.4271/2017-01-1754
- Welsh , D. , Gomez , A. , Pierce , J. , and Williamson , D. Designing an Interior and Exterior Acoustical Brand Identity for Electric Vehicles by Means of Sound Synthesis INTER-NOISE 2018 - 47th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering: Impact of Noise Control Engineering 2018
- Altinsoy , M. and Jekosch , U. The Semantic Space of Vehicle Sounds: Developing a Semantic Differential with Regard to Customer Perception J. Audio Eng. Soc 60 1/2 2012 13 20
- Osgood , C.E. , Suci , G.J. , and Tannenbaum , P.H. The Measurement of Meaning United Kingdom University of Illinois Press 1957
- Susini , P. , Lemaitre , G. , and McAdams , S. Psychological Measurement for Sound Description and Evaluation Berglund , B. , Rossi , G.B. , Townsend , J.T. and Pendrill , L.R. Measurement with Persons: Theory, Methods, and Implementation Areas Psychology Press 2012 227 253
- Arvanitis , A. , Orzechowski , J. , Tousignant , T. , and Govindswamy , K. Automobile Powertrain Sound Quality Development Using a Design for six Sigma (DFSS) Approach SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst 8 3 2015 1110 1119 https://doi/org/10.4271/2015-01-2336
- Parbat , A. , Tousignant , T. , and Govindswamy , K. Powertrain Level Target Setting for Impulsive Noise Based on Interior Noise Levels SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2295 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2295
- Tousignant , T. , Govindswamy , K. , Bhatia , V. , Polasani , S. et al. Assessment of Lightweight Automotive Glass Solutions on Interior Noise Levels & Sound Quality SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1814 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1814
- Tousignant , T. , Ford , A. , Govindswamy , K. , Dech , J. et al. Target Development for Transmission and Electric Motor NVH SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1554 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1554
- Tousignant , T. , Govindswamy , K. , Tomazic , D. , Eisele , G. et al. NVH Target Cascading from Customer Interface to Vehicle Subsystems SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1980 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1980
- Tousignant , T. , Govindswamy , K. , Sticker , M. , and Lee , M. Vehicle NVH Evaluations and NVH Target Cascading Considerations for Hybrid Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2362 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2362
- Govindswamy , K. and Eisele , G. Sound Character of Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1728 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1728