This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of the Ford Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking System in Instrumented Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Modern Ford vehicles can be manufactured with a system known as Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB). The Pre-Collision Assist feature uses camera technology to detect a potential collision with a vehicle or pedestrian directly ahead. If a potential collision is detected, an alert sound is emitted, and a warning message displays in the vehicle’s message center. If the driver response is not sufficient, AEB will be pre-charged and brake-assist sensitivity will be increased to provide full responsiveness if the driver does brake. If there is no perceived corrective action and a collision is imminent, the vehicle’s brakes can apply automatically. By detecting the possible collision and actuating the braking system, it is possible to prevent some collisions and lessen the severity of others.
Testing of this system was conducted using a 2020 Ford Explorer. During several tests, the instrumented Ford was driven at a simulated target vehicle or pedestrian dummy. Data were collected to determine at what range the system activated, the closing speeds at which the system prevented a collision, the vehicle deceleration rate resulting from system activation, and the behavior of the system when there was some driver intervention.
CitationVandiver, W. and Anderson, R., "Performance of the Ford Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking System in Instrumented Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0894, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0894.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Manufacturers Make Progress on Voluntary Commitment to Include Automatic Emergency Braking on All New Vehicles Accident Reconstruction Journal 28 1 Jan/Feb 2018
- 10 Automakers Equipped most 2018 Vehicles with Automatic Emergency Braking Accident Reconstruction Journal 29 2 Mar/Apr 2019
- Cicchino , J.B. , and Zuby , D.S. Characteristics of Rear-End Crashes Involving Passenger Vehicles with Automatic Emergency Braking Accident Reconstruction Journal 30 1 Jan/Feb 2020
- Automakers Accelerate Push to Make Vehicles Safer Accident Reconstruction Journal 30 1 Jan/Feb 2020
- Miholjcic , D. , Fabbroni , M. , and Robinson , R. A Study of the Performance of Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) Systems Equipped on Passenger Vehicles for the Model years 2013 to 2018 SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0416 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0416