This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parameter Optimization of Steering Trapezoid Mechanism Based on Hybrid Genetic Algorithm
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Optimization of the steering trapezoid mechanism parameter has great significance for improving vehicular handling performance and steering safety. The mathematical model of the current trapezoid mechanism design is oversimplified; Thus, the value of the optimum parameter is often not achievable. In this paper, a design model for the trapezoidal steering mechanism is proposed taking into consideration the size and kinematic constraints. Based on combining Ackerman's principle and spatial geometric relation, a multi-body dynamics design method is used to derive a nonlinear optimization model of the split steering trapezoid mechanism. In this investigation, a hybrid genetic algorithm is developed to minimize the steering error and the corresponding optimum design parameters. The selected design parameters are the bottom angle and the steering arm length of steering trapezoid mechanisms. The objective function of the structural optimization is a weighted summation of the relative error between the theoretical rotational and actual rotational angles of the front axle. The derived mathematical model of the mechanism is verified through the steering experiment of the tested vehicle. According to the initial design, an independent front suspension model is established in ADAMS, and an Ackerman error simulation experiment is performed. The results of the proposed algorithm and ADAMS simulation show that the maximum angle error of the steering mechanism is 0.91° at the maximum rotational angle range. The optimized steering trapezoid mechanism improves the performance of steering angles in two directions, tracking the ideal Ackerman angle and also reduce tire wear while maintaining the automobile's tuning stability.
CitationChen, K., Tan, G., Yang, Y., Zhang, H. et al., "Parameter Optimization of Steering Trapezoid Mechanism Based on Hybrid Genetic Algorithm," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0845, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0845.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Lin , L. , Guangyong , Y. , Yi , L. , Dan , X. et al. Optimization Design of Steering Trapezoid Mechanism Based on an Improved Particle Swarm Optimization Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering 10 76 82 2013 10.3969/j.issn.1002-6819.2013.10.011
- Xiaofeng , W. Automotive Suspension and Steering System Design Tsinghua University Press 2015 978-7-302-39486-0
- Rahmani Hanzaki , A. , Rao , P.V.M. , and Saha , S.K. Kinematic and Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization of Planar Rack-and-Pinion Steering Linkages Mechanism and Machine Theory 44 1 42 56 2009 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2008.02.014
- Minglong , Y. , and Fulin , W. The Optimal Design of Steering Trapezoidal Mechanism of Vehicles and the Research of Solution Method Machinery Design and Manufacture 05 24 26 2007
- Qi , W. , Hui , S. , Yufeng , S. , and Fengxiang , L. Application of Improved Differential Evolution Algorithm in Steering Trapezoid Mechanism Optimization Machine Design and Research 35 06 173 178 2019 10.13952/j.cnki.jofmdr.2019.0339
- Ning , X. , and Meng , B. Co-simulation of Steering Mechanism of Truck SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1104 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1104
- Leishman , R. , and Chase , K. A New Tool for Design and Analysis of Optimized Rack and Pinion Steering Mechanisms SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1675 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1675
- Xianfu , C. , and Xin , Z. The Robust Reliability Optimization of Steering Mechanism for Trucks Based on Non-Probabilistic Interval Model Key Engineering Materials 467-469 296 299 2011 10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.467-469.296
- Guanyu , H. , Yuefa , F. , Haibo , Q. , and Chunxu , T. Optimization of the Motion Performance of Planar Five-Bar Linkage Using a Genetic Algorithm Journal of Beijing Jiaotong University 39 04 44 48+60 10.11860/j.issn, 1673-0291-2015.04.009
- Feng , S. , Hui , W. , Lei , Y. , and Pei , H. 30 Case Analysis of MATLAB Intelligent Algorithm Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics Press 2015 978-7-5124-0351-2