This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of High Frequency Response Battery and Enhancement of Power Density for Inverter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
We propose low inductance batteries and enhance power density for a inverter. Conventionally, the capacitors are used for smoothing ripple of the inverter. The low inductance battery which responds at carrier frequency of inverter can reduce the capacity of the smoothing capacitors and enable to enhance power density for the inverter.
For reducing the inductance, it is necessary to separately understand the impact of electrochemical reaction under wide range of assumed conditions and structural reaction on frequency characteristics. Furthermore, it is also necessary to design the low inductance batteries based on combining the both of characteristics. However, there are no study focusing on modeling by combining such different domains. Therefore, we made original inductance model inside battery considering frequency characteristics among all materials and structural influence with electromagnetic field analysis simulator. Then, we compared obtained simulated values with actual battery. As a results, we found that both values were corresponding each other and it is possible to design the low inductance battery with this approach.
Finally, we verified smoothing effect for inverter output using our low inductance battery module. We conducted smoothing test by high frequency current as input into the battery module. We confirmed that battery voltage fluctuation was reduced less than 5% at an current condition which voltage fluctuation was more than 5% for normal batteries. As a results we have shown it is possible to reduce smoothing capacitors by using low inductance batteries.
CitationKomatsu, D., Inoue, T., and Yamauchi, S., "Development of High Frequency Response Battery and Enhancement of Power Density for Inverter," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0753, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0753.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Placke , T. , Kloepsch , R. , Dühnen , S. , and Winter , M. Lithium ion, Lithium metal, and Alternative Rechargeable Battery Technologies: The Odyssey for High Energy Density J. Solid State Electrochem 21 1939 1964 2017
- Ishino , H. , Watanabe , T. , Sugiura , K. , and Tsurura , K. 6-in-1 Silicon Carbide Power Module for High Performance of Power Electronics Systems 26th International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices & IC's USA 2014
- Abe , K. , Ohishi , K. , and Haga , J. Input Current Harmonics Reduction Control for Electrolytic Capacitor Less Inverter Based IPMSM Drive System 2014 International Power Electronics Conference Japan 2014
- Wang , J. , Zou , K. , Chen , C. , and Chen , L. A High Frequency Battery Model for Current Ripple Analysis 2010 Twenty-Fifth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition USA 2010
- Osswald , P.J. , Erhard , S.V. , Noel , A. , Keil , P. et al. Current Density Distribution in Cylindrical Li-Ion Cells During Impedance Measurements J. Power Sources 314 93 101 2016
- Uno , M. , and Tanaka , K. Influence of High-Frequency Charge-Discharge cycling Induced by Cell Voltage Equalizers on the Life Performance of Lithium-Ion Cells IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 60 4 1505 1515 2011
- Brand , M.J. , Hofmann , M.H. , Schuster , S.S. , Keil , P. et al. The Influence of Current Ripples on the Lifetime of Lithium-Ion Batteries IEEE Trans. Veh Technol. 67 67 10438 10445 2018
- Breucker , S.D. , Engelen , K. , D’hulst , R. , and Driesen , J. Impact of Current Ripple on Li-Ion Battery Aging World Electric Vehicle Journal 6 0532 0540 2013
- Bessman , A. , Soares , R. , Wallmark , O. , Svens , P. et al. Aging Effects of AC Harmonics on Lithium-Ion Cells J. Energy Storage 21 741 749 2019
- Mita , Y. , Kobayashi , Y. , Miyashiro , H. , and Terada , N. 2004
- Juang , L.W. , Anders , P.J. , Jahns , T.M. , Lorenz , R.D. et al. Investigation of the Influence of Superimposed AC Current on Lithium-Ion Battery Aging Using Statistical Design of Experiments J. Energy Storage 11 93 103 2017
- Zhu , D. , Pritchard , E.G.D. , and Silverberg , L.M. A New System Development Framework Driven by a Model-Based Testing Approach Bridged by Information Flow IEEE Systems Journal 12 3 2917 2924 2016