This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Research on Voltage Uniformity of a PEMFC Stack under Dynamic Step Loading
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) stack has been a promising electricity conversion device because of its high efficiency, environment-friendly, and fast dynamic response. The durability of a stack is mainly determined by the weakest single cell. Thus, keeping high single-cell voltage uniformity under a dynamic operating process is of great importance for enhancing stack working life. This work experimentally researches the voltage output responses under different dynamic operating conditions and the single-cell voltage uniformity, characterized as voltage coefficient variation Cv. Under the condition of the same initial current (70A) and different step loading amplitudes, with the increase of loading amplitude, i.e., from 20A to 110A, the variation of maximum value Cv values increases from 2.15% to 11.12% and a longer time is needed for voltage to return stable. For different initial current and the same step current amplitude (70A) conditions, the maximum Cv values range from 6.75% to 8.99% with the increase of initial current. In comparison, the influence of the different initial current with the same step amplitude on Cv value is not as evident as the condition that the same initial current with different loading size. For overall experiments, the single-cell minimum voltage is larger than 0.5V, which meets the stack's requirement during the operating process. Under the condition of different operating steady state, the voltage uniformity decreases with the increase of loading current. For various air mass flow supplement, it is found that increasing air supply can significantly improve the stack output performance at high loading current. Simultaneously, the maximum Cv values drop from 7.55% to 6.93%, which benefits to enhance the single-cell voltage uniformity in the step loading process.
CitationLiu, P., Zhang, B., and Xu, S., "Experimental Research on Voltage Uniformity of a PEMFC Stack under Dynamic Step Loading," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0731, 2021.
- Yi , B.L. Fuel Cell—Principle, Technology and Application Beijing: Chemical Industry Press 2003 5 25
- Wang , G.J. , Yu , Y. , Liu , H. , Gong , C.L. et al. Progress on Design and Development of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Systems for Vehicle Applications: A Review Fuel Processing Technology 179 203 228 2018 10.1016/j.fuproc.2018.06.013.
- Wang , Y. , Chen , K.S. , Mishler , J. , Cho , S.C. et al. A Review of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells: Technology, Applications, and Needs on Fundamental Research Applied Energy 88 981 1007 2011 10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.09.030.
- Zhao , J. , Li , X.G. A Review of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Durability for Vehicular Applications: Degradation Modes and Experimental Techniques Energy Conversion and Management 199 112022 2019 10.1016/j.enconman.2019.112022
- Yi , B.L. , and Hou , M. The Durability of Automotive Fuel Cell Solution Strategy Automotive Safety and Energy 2 2 91 100 2011 ISSN 1674-8484
- Liu , P.Q. , Xu , S.C. , Fu , J.X. , Liu , C. Experimental Investigation on the Voltage Uniformity for a PEMFC Stack with Different Dynamic Loading Strategies International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 45 50 26490 26500 2020
- Yan , X.H. , Lin , C. , Zheng , Z.F. , Chen , J.R. et al. Effect of Clamping Pressure on Liquid-Cooled PEMFC Stack Performance Considering Inhomogeneous Gas Diffusion Layer Compression Applied Energy 258 114073 114085 2020 10.1016/j. apenergy. 2019.114073.
- Huang , F.X. , Qiu , D.K. , Lan , S.H. , Yi , P.Y. et al. Performance Evaluation of Commercial-Size Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stacks Considering Air Flow Distribution in the Manifold Energy Convers Management 112256-67 203 2020 10.1016/j.enconman.2019.112256
- Qi , J. Study on Individual Cell Voltage Uniformity of PEMFC Stack Wuhan University of technology Hubei 2011
- Li , Y.K. Research on Voltage Uniformity of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stack Southwest Jiaotong University Chengdu 2015
- Jang , J.H. , Yan , W.M. , Chiu , H.C. , Lui , J.Y. et al. Dynamic Cell Performance of kW-grade Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stack with Dead-Ended Anode Applied Energy 142 108 114 2015 10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.12.073.
- Zeng , T. , Zhang , C.Z. , Huang , Z.Y. , Li , M.X. et al. Experimental Investigation on the Mechanism of Variable Fan Speed Control in Open Cathode PEM Fuel Cell International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 44 43 24017 24027 2019 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.07.119.
- Hu , Z.Y. , Xu , L.F. , Li , J.Q. et al. A Novel Diagnostic Methodology for Fuel Cell Stack Health: Performance, Consistency and Uniformity Energy Conversion Management 185 4 611 621 2019 10.1016/j.enconman.2019.02.031
- Qing , K.J. , Hao , D. , Hou , Y.P. , Liu , Y.N. et al. Automotive Research Status and Prospect of Attenuation Factors Affecting Performance of PEMFC Chinese Journal of Automobile Engineering 3 4 242 250 2013 10.3969/j.issn.2095-1469.2013.04.02.
- Zhao , Y.Q. , Yang , F. , Dai , C.H. , Liu , T. , et al. The Dynamic Voltage Uniformity of the Commonly-Controlled kW-class Air-cooled PEMFC 35th Chinese Control Conference (CCC) Chengdu July 27-29, 2016
- Li , M. , Dai , C.H. , Guo , A.I. , and Chen , W.R. Experimental Study on Dynamic Voltage Uniformity of a 2 kW Air-Cooled PEMFC Electrical Engineering 100 2725 2735 2018 10.1007/s00202-018-0733-5
- Zhao , Y.Q. Research on Dynamic Response of Air-Cooled PEMFC Considering Uniformity Southwest Jiao tong University Sichuan 2016
- Hou , Y.P. , Zhang , R.J. , Zhang , T. , and Wang , D. Analysis of Cell Voltage Uniformity of PEMFC under on Cyclic Conditions Battery Bimonthly 49 6 463 466 2019 10.19535/j.1001-1579.2019.06.002
- Chen , W.R. , Liu , J.W. , Guo , A. , Li , Y. et al. Experimental Study on Voltage Uniformity of 14.4 kW PEMFC Stack Single Cell Journal of Southwest Jiao tong University 52 429 438 2017 3969/j.issn.0258-2724.2017.03.001
- Corbo , P. , Migliardini , F. , and Veneri , O. Dynamic Behavior of Hydrogen Fuel Cells for Automotive Application Renewable Energy 34 1955 1961 2009 10.1016/j.renene.2008.12.021
- Migliardini , F. , Di Palma , T.M. , Gaele , M.F. , and Corbo , P. Cell Voltage Analysis of a 6 kW Polymeric Electrolyte Fuel Cell Stack Designed for Hybrid Power Systems Materials Today: Proceedings 10 393 399 2019 10.1016/j.matpr.2019.03.002.
- Migliardini , F. , Unich , A. , and Corbo , P. Experimental Comparison Between External and Internal Humidification in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells for Road Vehicles International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40 5916 5927 2015 10.1016/j. ijhydene. 2015. 03.012.
- Corbo , P. , Migliardini , F. , and Veneri , O. Experimental Analysis of a 20kWe PEM Fuel Cell System in Dynamic Conditions Representative of Automotive Applications Energy Conversion and Management 49 2688 2697 2008 10.1016/j.enconman.2008.04.001.
- Dai , C.H. , Qing , S. , Chen , W.R. , Li , Y.K. et al. A Review of the Single Cell Voltage Uniformity in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells Proceedings of the CSEE 36 5 1289 1302 2016 10.13334/j.0258-8013.pcsee.2016.05.014