This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Structural Parameters Analysis of the Turbine Rotor in Fuel Cell Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
As the most power-consuming component of the fuel cell system, the compressor directly affects the efficiency of the system. Using turbines to recover energy from the exhaust gas, has become a feasible means to improve the fuel cell system’s efficiency. Previous designs are mainly based on high-temperature (>523.15 K) gas. However, the exhaust gas temperature of the proton exchange membrane fuel cell is only about 348.15 K, which is much lower than the working fluid temperature of typical turbines (such as those used in internal combustion engine). In this paper, a turbine rotor for a 100kW fuel cell system was designed. The influences of non-design structural parameters including blade inlet incline angle, blade thickness, blade tip clearance and blade number on the aerodynamic performance and internal flow of the rotor are investigated. Computational fluid dynamic (CFD) model of the rotor single flow is established to predict the turbine aerodynamic performance. Results show that the blade number has a significant impact on the flow performance of the turbine rotor. At the design point, the blade number is changed from 11 to 9, thus the mass flow can be increased by 23.86%. Inlet forward-inclined rotors are more suitable for low-temperature turbines for fuel cell vehicles, which can effectively decrease pressure gradient in the height direction, which is beneficial to reduce the secondary flow loss and the tip leakage loss.
CitationMao, H., Zhang, Y., and Xu, S., "Design and Structural Parameters Analysis of the Turbine Rotor in Fuel Cell Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0729, 2021.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Veziroglu , T.N. and Sahin , S. 21st Century’s Energy: Hydrogen Energy System Energy Conversion and Management 49 7 1820 1831 2008 10.1016/j.enconman.2007.08.015
- Abe , J.O. , Popoola , A.P.I. , Ajenifuja , E. , and Popoola , O.M. Hydrogen Energy, Economy and Storage: Review and Recommendation International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 44 29 15072 15086 2019 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.04.068.
- Dawood , F. , Anda , M. , and Shafiullah , G.M. Hydrogen Production for Energy: An Overview International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 45 7 3847 3869 2020 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.12.059.
- Stephens , I.E.L. , Rossmeisl , J. , and Chorkendorff , I. Toward Sustainable Fuel Cells Science 354 6318 1378 1379 2016 10.1126/science.aal3303.
- Wang , G.J. , Yu , Y. , Liu , H. , Gong , C.L. et al. Progress on Design and Development of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Systems for Vehicle Applications: A Review Fuel Processing Technology 179 203 228 2018 10.1016/j.fuproc.2018.06.013.
- Liu , Z.W. , Shi , T.Z. , Hao , H. , Zhao , F.Q. et al. Research on Main Problems Associated with Development of Fuel Cell Vehicle in China Automobile Technology 01 1 9 2018 10.19620/j.cnki.1000-3703.20172154
- Song , Q.Y. and Lubitz , W.D. Design and Testing of a New Small Wind Turbine Blade Journal of Solar Energy Engineering-Transactions of the ASME 136 3 2014 Artn 03450210.1115/1.4026464
- Zhao , J.S. , Ma , C.C. , and Hu , L.P. Dynamics Analysis and Experimental Research on Turbocharger Rotor with fore and after Lighting Optimization Frontiers of Manufacturing Science and Measuring Technology 230 232 2011 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.230-232.1099
- Li , X.Y. , Hao , X.T. , Chen , L. , and Meng , L. Design and Experimental Study of Radial Inflow Turbine in Vehicle Waste Heat Power Generation System Fluid Machinery 46 10 1 5 2018
- Zhang , Y.M. , Bao , P.L. , Wan , Y. , Xu , S.C. et al. Modeling and Analysis of Air Supply System of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell System Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Applied Energy 142 1053 1058 2017 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.12.355.
- Zhang , Y.M. , Xu , S.C. , and Lin , C.J. Performance Improvement of Fuel Cell Systems Based on Turbine Design and Supercharging System Matching Applied Thermal Engineering 180 2020 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2020.115806.