This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Knock Mitigation Benefits Achieved through the Application of Passive MAHLE Jet Ignition Enabling Increased Output under Stoichiometric Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Engine and vehicle manufacturers are facing increasing pressure from legislation to reduce vehicle emissions and deliver improved fuel economy. Significant reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions will need to be achieved to meet these requirements whilst also satisfying the more stringent forthcoming emissions regulations. This focus on techniques to reduce the tailpipe CO2, whilst also being able to operate over the whole map without the use of fuel enrichment for component protection, is increasing the interest in novel combustion technologies. The pre-chamber-based Jet Ignition concept produces high energy jets of partially combusted species that induce ignition in the main combustion chamber to enable rapid and stable combustion. The present study focusses on the potential of passive jet-ignition to enable increased output whilst maintaining stoichiometric operation through reduce knock sensitivity. Results demonstrating this capability will be presented, along with those showing a lower sensitivity to the research octane number (RON) of fuels and the ability to further extend the stoichiometric operating boundary, through the combined use of the passive pre-chamber with external exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). Measurements from MAHLE’s high specific output 1.5-liter downsizing demonstrator engine will be used to illustrate the benefits achievable through these combined technologies. The pre-chamber concept has been further developed such that it can both be packaged within the same envelope as a conventional M12 spark plug and operate under all conditions without the need for a second ignitor in the main combustion chamber, enabling application into existing cylinder head architectures.
CitationCooper, A., Harrington, A., Bassett, M., and Pates, D., "Knock Mitigation Benefits Achieved through the Application of Passive MAHLE Jet Ignition Enabling Increased Output under Stoichiometric Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0477, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0477.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Hayes , J. 2017 http://europeanmemoranda.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/files/2017/01/170118_-_Real_Driving_Emissions_(1).pdf 2017
- 2017 https://www.greensefa.eu/files/doc/docs/e1d4fd81911a47c76fcbd4458d6bfdd5.pdf 2017
- Luisi , S. , Doria , V. , Stroppiana , A. , Millo , F. et al. Experimental Investigation on Early and Late Intake Valve Closures for Knock Mitigation through Miller Cycle in a Downsized Turbocharged Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0760 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0760
- Demmelbauer-Ebner , W. , Middendorf , H. , and Birkigt , A. EA211 TSI®evo - The New 4-Cylinder Gasoline Engines from Volkswagen 25th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology Aachen 2016
- Talue , D. , Whitwood , P. , Page , G. , McAllister et al. Introducing the Ingenium SI Engine: Jaguar Land Rover’s New Four-Cylinder Gasoline Engine 38. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 2017
- Cooper , A. , Harrington , A. Bassett , M. , Hartland , J. et al. HyPACE - Hybrid Petrol Advanced Combustion Engine - Advanced Boosting System for Extended Stoichiometric Operation and Improved Dynamic Response SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0325 2019
- Robinet , C. , Higelin , P. , Moreau , B. , Pajot , O. , and Andrzejewski , J. A New Firing Concept for Internal Combustion Engines: “l’APIR” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0621 1999
- Toulson , E. , Schock , H. , Attard , W. A Review of Pre-Chamber Initiated Jet Ignition Combustion Systems SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2263 2010
- Cooper , A. , Harrington , A. , Bassett , M. , Reader , S. et al. Application of the Passive MAHLE Jet Ignition System and Synergies with Miller Cycle and Exhaust Gas Recirculation SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0283 2020
- Bassett , M. , Cooper , A. , Harrington , A. , Pates , D. et al. Passive MAHLE Jet Ignition System Demonstrator Proceedings from the 28th Aachen Colloquium 2020
- Cooper , A. , Harrington , A. , Bassett , M. , Pates , D. et al. Passive MAHLE Jet Ignition: The Capability for Whole Area Operation and its Influence on Ignition System Requirements SIA Powertrain 2020
- Cooper , A. , Stodart , A. , Hancock , D. , Duke , S. et al. Development of Two New High Specific Output 3 Cylinder Engines for the Global Market with Capacities of 1.2l and 1.5l SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1193 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1193
- 2000 http://www-g.eng.cam.ac.uk/125/achievements/ricardo/
- Date , T. and Yagi , S. Research and Development of Honda CVCC Engine SAE Technical Paper 740605 1974 https://doi.org/10.4271/740605
- Dainton , L.
- Bunce , M. and Blaxill , H. Sub-200 g/kWh BSFC on a Light Duty Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0709 2016
- Bunce , M. , Blaxill , H. , and Cooper Development of both Active and Passive Pre-Chamber Jet Ignition Multi-Cylinder Demonstrator Engines Proceedings from the 28th Aachen Colloquium 2019
- Bassett , M. , Hibberd , B. , Hall , J. , Gray , K. , and Richards , B. 2015