This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Improvement of Integrated Electromagnetic and Friction Braking System of Trailers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
In order to improve the driving safety, an integrated brake system of trailers is proposed, which can solve the problems of insufficient braking force and poor stability when braking. This system realizes the integration of the main braking system and the auxiliary braking system of articulated vehicles, thus avoiding the phenomenon of "folding" and "rollover" during braking. The integrated brake system developed in this paper is mainly composed of friction braking system and electromagnetic braking system. First, the design scheme for the integrated brake system was illustrated based on the system’s working principle and structures. After that, the mathematical model of electromagnetic braking system was derived based on electromagnetic theory. Then, the electromagnetic braking system was simulated by CAE technology, while the magnetic density distribution and braking torque value were studied. Moreover, the temperature rises of brake disc caused by electromagnetic braking was analyzed and calculated by finite element method (FEM). Considering the shared brake disc of integrated brake system, its temperature will rise too high under electromagnetic braking and friction braking. To handle the disadvantage above, the paper also optimized the structure of wheel hub based on CFD numerical simulation to realize the forced heat dissipation of brake disc. Simulation results show that the designed integrated brake system can not only provide effective auxiliary braking torque but also increase the air flow inside the wheel, and enhance the heat dissipation performance of the brake disc, further strengthening the driving safety and braking stability of trailers.
CitationHe, R., "Thermal Improvement of Integrated Electromagnetic and Friction Braking System of Trailers," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0341, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0341.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Jing , Z. , and He , R. Electronic Structural Improvement and Experimental Verification of a Tractor-Semitrailer Air Brake System Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering 234 8 2154 2161 2019 https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407019899794
- Xia , W. , Tan , G. , Wang , S. , and Wang , J. Experiment Study and Design of Self-Excited Eddy Current Retard SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2825 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2825
- Yasa , Y. , Sincar , E. , Ertugrul , B. , and Mese , E. A Multidisciplinary Design Approach for Electromagnetic Brakes Electric Power Systems Research 141 165178 2016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2016.07.020
- Shin , H. , Choi , J. , Cho , H. , and Jang , S. Analytical Torque Calculations and Experimental Testing of Permanent Magnet Axial Eddy Current Brake IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 49 7 4152 2013 https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2013.2250932
- Anwar , S. , and Stevenson , R. Torque Characteristic Analysis for Optimal Design of a Copper-Layered Eddy Current Brake System International Journal of Automotive Technology 12 4 497 502 2011 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-011-0058-0
- He , R. , Wang , J. , and Wang , L. The Design of Graded Permanent Magnet Retarder Journal of Chongqing Jiaotong University (Natural Science) 34 5 2015 https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1674-0696.2015.05.31
- Ye , L. , Liu , Y. , and Li , D. Magnetic-Thermal Coupling Modeling and Experimental Study of Permanent Magnet Retarder for Vehicle Automotive Engineering 41 1 2019 https://doi.org/10.19562/j.chinasae.qcqc.2019.01.017
- Cho , S. , Jeong , T. , Bae , J. , Yoo , C. et al. Analysis and Performance of the Self Excited Eddy Current Brake J Electr Eng Technol 12 1 459 465 2017 https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2017.12.1.459
- Zhang , K. , Li , D. , Du , X. , and Zheng , R. Numerical Analysis and Experimentation of a Novel Self-Excited and Liquid-Cooled Eddy Current Retarder IEEE Transactions On Energy Conversion 29 1 2014 https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2013.2295218
- Zhen , W. , Kang , N. , Liu , X. , and Hu , L. Optimization of Brake Disc Ventilation Duct Structure Based on Nonlinear Regression Automotive Engineering 38 11 2016 https://doi.org/10.19562/j.chinasae.qcgc.2016.11.012