This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Evaluation of the Performance of an Automotive Electric Supercharger
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, the electric supercharger for turbocharged downsized automotive engines is mainly used to improve torque at low engine speeds in order to obtain an enhancement of the time to boost. These components are usually designed to fill the gap in terms of torque in transient operation caused by the main turbocharger with reference to the typical turbo lag issues.
An advanced solution of the engine boosting system is taken into account, considering the adoption of an electrically assisted compressor (e-compressor) coupled to a waste-gated turbocharger, typically adopted alone, in order to provide a reduced turbo-lag.
In order to highlight the behavior of the electric supercharger coupled to the turbocharger, the first experimental investigation regarded the steady flow characterization of the compressor. Due to problems related to over temperature, the working time of the e-compressor is limited avoiding an accurate evaluation of compressor efficiency, which is related to the upstream and downstream temperature measurements. A driving system (instead of the electric machine) was designed by the authors to provide a more accurate evaluation of the compressor map. To this aim, a turbocharger turbine has been selected according to the requested power levels.
The experimental investigation was developed at the turbocharger test facility of the University of Genoa using different sensors for the measurements of the average levels of thermodynamic quantities. Besides, accelerometers and microphones were adopted to measure noise and vibrations operative levels in order to check the correct operative functionality of the system. Finally, the transient response of the e-compressor coupled to the main turbocharger is reported to highlight the benefit in terms of the engine time to boost.
CitationMarelli, S. and Usai, V., "Experimental Evaluation of the Performance of an Automotive Electric Supercharger," SAE Technical Paper 2020-37-0008, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-37-0008.
- Guzzella , L. et al. Vehicle Propulsion Systems Springer 2013
- Leal Filho , W. et al. E-Mobility in Europe Springer 2015
- Onori , S. et al. Hybrid Electric Vehicles Springer-Verlag London 2016
- Nikowitz , M. Advanced Hybrid and Electric Vehicles Springer International Publishing 2016
- Baines , N. Encyclopedia of Automotive Engineering, Intake Boosting John Wiley & Sons, Ltd 2014 10.1002/9781118354179.auto126
- Luisi , S. , Doria , V. , Stroppiana , A. , Millo , F. et al. Experimental Investigation on Early and Late Intake Valve Closures for Knock Mitigation through Miller Cycle in a Downsized Turbocharged Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0760 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0760
- Bandel , W. , Fraidl , G. , Kapus , P. , Sikinger , H. et al. The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-Low Emission SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1266 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1266
- Cooper , A. , Bassett , M. , Hall , J. , Harrington , A. et al. HyPACE - Hybrid Petrol Advance Combustion Engine - Advanced Boosting System for Extended Stoichiometric Operation and Improved Dynamic Response SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0325 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0325
- Marelli , S. , Marmorato , G. , and Capobianco , M. Evaluation of Heat Transfer Effects in Small Turbochargers by Theoretical Model and Its Experimental Validation Energy 112 264 272 2016 10.1016/j.energy.2016.06.067
- Bohn , D. , Ausmeier , S. , Heuer , T. , Wolff , M. , and Moritz , N. Conjugate Calculation of Flow Field and Heat Transfer in Compressor, Turbine and Casing of a Gas Turbine VGB PowerTech 83 11 54 59 2003
- Verstraete , T. , Alsalihi , Z. , and Van Den Braembussche , R.A. Numerical Study of the Heat Transfer in Micro Gas Turbines ASME Journal of Turbomachinery 129 4 835 841 2007 10.1115/1.2720874
- Diango , A. , Périlhon , C. , Descombes , G. , and Danho , E. Application of Exergy Balances for the Optimization of Non-Adiabatic Small Turbomachines Operation Energy 36 5 2924 2936 2011 10.1016/j.energy.2011.02.035
- Marelli , S. and Capobianco , M. Measurement of Instantaneous Fluid Dynamic Parameters in Automotive Turbocharging Circuit SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0124 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0124