This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A CFD Model of Supercritical Water Injection for ICEs as Energy Recovery System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Supercritical water injection for ICEs may be a valid option to recover engine wall heat transfer and energy from exhaust gases, with benefits in terms of efficiency and performances. Water is recovered from exhaust gases and is brought up to supercritical conditions by employing the waste heat during engine operations.
A preliminary study of this energy recovery approach has already been performed in an authors’ previous work, by employing a port fuel injection (PFI) internal combustion engine quasi-dimensional model, which has been validated against experimental data, returning satisfactory results in terms of overall efficiency gain.
In this work, in order to obtain a more reliable and accurate evaluation of the achievable energy recovery with supercritical water injection, a multidimensional CFD model of the engine has been set and validated. As regards the engine geometry, a simplified axisymmetric engine has been used, in order to reduce the computational time and storage. The combustion has been modelled with an ECFM model and an 88-species and 349-reactions chemical kinetics mechanism, in order to evaluate the pollutant emissions and their potential reduction due to supercritical water injection. The water injector has been modelled as a convergent-divergent nozzle which is located along the cylinder axis.
The first part of this work focuses on the validation of the engine model with experimental data. Then, the influence of supercritical water injection on engine performances has been analyzed, by considering two different setup as concerns the water injection process. The gross indicated work per cycle increases by 11.6% and 13.4% when supercritical water is injected at 40 and 35 CAD ATDC, respectively, with respect to the case without injection.
CitationCantiani, A., Viggiano, A., and Magi, V., "A CFD Model of Supercritical Water Injection for ICEs as Energy Recovery System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-37-0001, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-37-0001.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Jadhao , J.S. and Thombare , D.G. Review on Exhaust Gas Heat Recovery for I.C. Engine International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) 2 12 2277 3754 2013
- Karvonen , M. , Kapoor , R. , Uusitalo , A. , and Ojanen , V. Technology Competition in the Internal Combustion Engine Waste Heat Recovery: A Patent Landscape Analysis Journal of Cleaner Production 1-9 2015 10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.06.031
- Rowe , M. and Ladd , G. Water Injection for Aircraft Engines SAE Technical Paper 460192 1946 https://doi.org/10.4271/460192
- Berni , F. , Breda , S. , Lugli , M. , Cantore , G. et al. A Numerical Investigation on the Potentials of Water Injection to Increase Knock Resistance and Reduce Fuel Consumption in Highly Downsized GDI Engines Energy Procedia 81 826 835 2015 10.1016/j.egypro.2015.12.091
- Tesfa , B. , Mishra , R. , Gu , F. , and Ball , A.D. Water Injection Effects on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of a CI Engine Operating with Biodiesel Renewable Energy 37 2012 10.1016/j.renene.2011.06.035
- Cazzoli , G. , Falfari , S. , Bianchi , G.M. , and Forte , C. Developement of a Chemical-Kinetic Database for the Laminar Flame Speed under GDI and Water Injection Engine Conditions Energy Procedia 148 154 161 2018 10.1016/j.egypro.2018.08.043
- Hoppe , F. , Thewes , M. , Baumgarten , H. , and Dohmen , J. Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions International Journal of Engine Research 17 1 2015 10.1177/1468087415599867
- Cesur , I. , Parlak , A. , Ayhan , V. , Boru , B. et al. The Effects of Electronic Controlled Steam Injection on Spark Ignition Engine Applied Thermal Engineering 55 1-2 2013 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.02.020
- Boretti , A. Water Injection in Directly Injected Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engines Applied Thermal Engineering 52 1 2013 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.11.016
- Zembi , J. , Battistoni , M. , Ranuzzi , F. , Cavina , N. et al. CFD Analysis of Port Water Injection in a GDI Engine under Incipient Knock Conditions Energies 12 18 3409 2019 10.3390/en12183409
- Cantiani , A. , Viggiano , A. , and Magi , V. How to Improve SI Engines Performances by Means of Supercritical Water Injection SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-035 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0235
- Chase , M.W. 1998 10.18434/T42S31
- Zuckerman , N. and Lior , N. Jet Impingement Heat Transfer: Physics, Correlations, and Numerical Modeling Advances in Heat Transfer 39 656 631 2006 10.1016/S0065-2717(06)39006-5
- Craft , T.J. , Graham , L.J.W. , and Launder , B.E. Impinging Jet Studies for Turbulence Model Assessment-II. An Examination of the Performance of Four Turbulence Models International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 36 10 2685 2697 1993 10.1016/S0017-9310(05)80205-4
- Behnia , M. , Parneix , S. , and Durbin https://web.stanford.edu/group/ctr/ResBriefs97/behnia.pdf
- D’Errico , G. , Lucchini , T. , Onorati , A. , Mehl , M. et al. Development and Experimental Validation of a Combustion Model with Detailed Chemistry for Knock Predictions SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0938 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0938
- Launder , B.E. and Spalding , D.B. The Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flows Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 3 296 289 1974 10.1016/0045-7825(74)90029-2
- Ansys® Fluent Theory Guide 19.2
- Poinsot , T. and Veynante , D. Theoretical and Numerical Combustion, 2 nd Edition New York McGraw-Hill 2005 978-1930217102
- Wang , H. , Yao , M. , and Reitz , R. Development of a Reduced Primary Reference Fuel Mechanism for Internal Combustion Engine Combustion Simulations Energy & Fuels 27 12 7843 7853 2013 10.1021/ef401992e
- Saxena , P. and Williams , F.A. Numerical and Experimental Studies of Ethanol Flames Proc. Combust. Inst. 31 1 1149 1156 2007 10.1016/j.proci.2006.08.097
- Metghalchi , M. and Keck , J.C. Burning Velocities of Mixtures of Air with Methanol, Isooctane, and Indolene at High Pressure and Temperature Combustion and Flame 48 191 210 1982 10.1016/0010-2180(82)90127-4
- Behnia , M. , Parneix , S. , and Durbin , P. Accurate Prediction of Jet Impingement Heat Transfer National Heat Transfer Conference 1997 USA August 10-12, 1997
- Hayder , M.E. , Varma , A.K. , and Bracco , F.V. A Limit to TDC Turbulence Intensity in Internal Combustion Engines Journal of Propulsion and Power 1 4 300 308 1985 10.2514/3.22797
- Bonelli , F. , Viggiano , A. , and Magi , V. A Numerical Analysis of Hydrogen Underexpanded Jets Proceedings of the ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference 2012 681 690 10.1115/ICES2012-81068
- Maté , B. , Graur , I.A. , Elizarova , T. , Chirokov , I. et al. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of an Axisymmetric Supersonicjet Journal of Fluid Mechanics 426 177 197 2001 10.1017/S0022112000002329
- Yu , J. , Vuorinen , V. , Kaario , O. , Sarjovaara , T. et al. Visualization and Analysis of the Characteristics of Transitional Underexpanded Jets International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 44 140 154 2013 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2013.05.015