This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Self-Assembled ZnO Nanostructure by One Step Emulsion Combustion Synthesis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Self- assembled ZnO nanostructures were synthesized by a simple, rapid and cost- effective emulsion combustion method. The synthesized ZnO nanostructures have a hexagonal wurtzite structure. TEM micrographs of the sample consisted of looped chains that were <1 μm in length and consisted of 30-120 isometric 13-16 nm sized nanoparticles. The assembling of nanoparticles transforms from branched chain to linear network by increasing the molar concentration of oleic acid from 0.5 to 1.5. The linear network was <700 nm in length and width varies from 15-35 nm respectively. The oleic acid bonding with ZnO was confirmed by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. The optical band gap (Eg) of 3.34, 3.38 and 3.43 eV based on the absorption edge 371, 367 and 361 nm respectively. Magnetization study reveals that the ZnO sample exhibits diamagnetic behavior.
CitationJ, C., P, B., and kim, K., "Self-Assembled ZnO Nanostructure by One Step Emulsion Combustion Synthesis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0510, 2020.
- Vázquez, L.S., Cotto, M., Morant, C., Duconge et al. , “Facile Synthesis of ZnO Nanoparticles and Its Photocatalytic Activity in the Degradation of 2-Phenylbenzimidazole-5-Sulfonic Acid,” J. Photoch. Photobio A: Chem 332:331-336, 2017.
- Fan, F., Feng, Y., Tang, P., and Li, D. , “Facile Synthesis and Photocatalytic Performance of ZnO Nanoparticles Self-Assembled Spherical Aggregates,” Mater. Lett 158:290-294, 2015.
- Jule, L.T., Dejene, F.B., Roro, K.T., Urgessa, Z.N. et al. , “Rapid Synthesis of Blue Emitting ZnO Nanoparticles for Fluorescent Applications,” Physica B: Condens Matter 497:71-77, 2016.
- Yang, J., Wang, X., Xia, R., Muhire, E. et al. , “Self-Assembly in the Synthesis of Shelled ZnO Hollow Spheres and Their UV Sensors Performance,” Mater. Lett 182:10-14, 2016.
- Zhao, H., Hu, J., Chen, S., Xie, Q. et al. , “Tailoring the High-Impulse Current Discharge Capability of ZnO Varistor Ceramics by Doping with Ga2O3,” Ceram. Int 42:5582-5586, 2016.
- Saghaei, J., Fallahzadeh, A., and Saghaei, T. , “Vapor Treatment as a New Method for Photocurrent Enhancement of UV Photodetectors Based on ZnO Nanorods,” Sen. Sactuators A Phys 247:150-155, 2016.
- Mirzaei, H., and Darroudi, M. , “Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles: Biological Synthesis and Biomedical Applications,” Ceram. Int 43:907-914, 2017.
- Wang, Y., Li, X., Lu, G., Chen, G. et al. , “Synthesis and Photo-Catalytic Degradation Property of Nanostructured-ZnO with Different Morphology,” Mater Lett 62:2359-2362, 2008.
- Feng, W., Pei Huang, P., Baocai Wang, B., Cunwen Wang, C. et al. , “Solvothermal Synthesis of ZnO with Different Morphologies in Dimethylacetamide Media,” Ceram. Int 42:2250-2256, 2016.
- Miao, Y., Zhang, H., Yuan, S., Jiao, Z. et al. , “Preparation of Flower-Like ZnO Architectures Assembled with Nanosheets for Enhanced Photo Catalytic Activity,” J. Colloid Interface Sci 462:9-18, 2016.
- Qiu, Y., Luo, Q., Liang, Z., Cheng, Z. et al. , “Preparation and Characterization of ZnO Tetrapods and Octapods,” Mater. Lett 154:103-106, 2015.
- Moghaddam, E., Youzbashi, A.A., Kazemzadeh, A., and Eshraghi, M.J. , “Preparation of Surface-Modified ZnO Quantum Dots through an Ultrasound Assisted Sol-Gel Process,” Appl. Surf. Sci 346:111-114, 2015.
- Kumar, V., Gohain, M., Som, S., Kumar, V. et al. , “Microwave Assisted Synthesis of ZnO Nanoparticles for Lighting and Dye Removal Application,” Physica B Conden Matter 480:36-41, 2016.
- Liu, J., Wang, L., Zhong, S., and Han, Y. , “Peanut-Like ZnO Superstructures: Rapid and Facile Lightwave-Assisted Synthesis and Characterization,” Mater. Manuf. Processes 28:10-13, 2012.
- Pradeev Raj, K., and Sadayandi, K. , “Effect of Temperature on Structural, Optical and Photoluminescence Studies on ZnO Nanoparticles Synthesized by the Standard Co-Precipitation Method,” Physica B Condens. Matter 487:1-7, 2016.
- Jay Chithra, M., Pushpanathan, K., and Loganathan, M. , “Structural and Optical Properties of co-Doped ZnO Nanoparticles Synthesized by Precipitation Method,” Mater. Manuf. Processes 29:771-779, 2014.
- Pushpanathan, K., Sathya, S., Jay Chithra, M., Gowthami, S. et al. , “Influence of Reaction Temperature on Crystal Structure and Band Gap of ZnO Nanoparticles,” Mater. Manuf. Processes 27:1334-1342, 2012.
- Pillai, S.C., Kelly, J.M., McCormack, D.E., and Ramesh, R. , “Self-Assembled Arrays of ZnO Nanoparticles and Their Application as Varistor Materials,” J. Mater. Chem 14:1-8, 2004.
- Lupan, O., Chow, L., Chai, G., Schulte, A. et al. , “Biopolymer-Assisted Self-Assembly of ZnO Nanoarchitectures from Nanorods,” Superlattices Microstruct 43:292-302, 2008.
- Kim, K.M., Kim, H.R., Choi, K.I., Kim, H.J. et al. , “ZnO Hierarchical Nanostructures Grown at Room Temperature and Their C2H5OH Sensor Applications,” Sens. Actuators B: Chem 155:745-751, 2011.
- Cipollini, N.E. and Succasunnam, N.J. , “Emulsion-Char Method for Making a Fine Powder,” U.S. Patent 4, 654075, 1987.
- Chandradass, J., Balasubramanian, M., Bae, D.S., Kim, J. et al. , “Variations in an Oleic Acid and Metal Nitrate Emulsion under Calcination on the Structural and Morphology of LaAlO3 Nanopowders,” J. Alloys Compd 498:L1-L4, 2010.
- Cozzoli, P.D., Kornowski, A., and Weller, H. , “Low-Temperature Synthesis of Soluble and Processable Organic-Capped Anatase TiO2 Nanorods,” J. Am. Chem. Soc 125:14539-14548, 2003.
- Du, J., Yang, M., Cha, S.N., Rhen, D. et al. , “Indium Hydroxide and Indium Oxide Nanosphere, Nanoflowers, Microcubes, and Nanorods: Synthesis and Optical Properties,” Cryst. Growth and Des 8:2312-2317, 2008.
- Chiu, W.S., Radiman, S., Abdullah, M.H., Khiew, P.S. et al. , “One-Pot Synthesis of Monodisperse Fe3O4 Nanocrystals by Pyrolysis Reaction of the Organometallic Compound,” Mater. Chem. Phys 106:231-235, 2007.
- Peng, X. , “Mechanisms for the Shape-Control and Shape-Evolution of the Colloidal Semiconductor Nanocrystal,” Adv. Mater 15:459-463, 2003.
- Wang, Y., Li, X., Wang, N., Quan, X. et al. , “Controllable Synthesis of ZnO Nanoflowers and Their Morphology-Dependent Photocatalytic Activities,” Sep. Purif. Technol 62:727-732, 2008.
- Liu, D., Wu, W., Qiu, Y., Yang, S. et al. , “Surface Functionalization of ZnO Nanotetrapods with Photoactive and Electroactive Organic Monolayers,” Langmuir 24:5052-5059, 2008.
- Limaye, M.V., Singh, S.B., Date, S.K., Kothari, D. et al. , “High Coercivity of Oleic Acid Capped CoFe2O4 Nanoparticles at Room Temperature,” J. Phys. Chem. B 113:9070-9076, 2009.
- Wu, Y.L., Tok, A.I.Y., Boey, F.Y.C., Zeng, X.T. et al. , “Surface Modification of ZnO Nanocrystals,” Appl. Surf. Sci 253:5473-5479, 2007.
- Yadav, R.S., Mishra, P., and Pandey, A.C. , “Growth Mechanism and Optical Property of ZnO Nanoparticles Synthesized by the Sonochemical Method,” Ultrason. Sonochem 15:863-868, 2008.
- Zhang, H., Yang, D., Li, S., Ma, X. et al. , “Controllable Growth of ZnO Nanostructures by Citric Acid Assisted Hydrothermal Process,” Mater. Lett 59:1696-1700, 2005.
- Zhong, X., and Knoll, W. , “Morphology-Controlled Large-Scale Synthesis of ZnO Nanocrystals from Bulk ZnO,” Chem. Comm 9:1158-1160, 2005.
- Liu, D., Wu, W., Qiu, Y., Yang, S. et al. , “Surface Functionalization of ZnO Nanotetrapods with Photoactive and Electroactive Organic Monolayers,” Langmuir 24:5052-5059, 2006.
- Sundaresan, A., Bhargavi, B., Rangarajan, N., Siddesh, U. et al. , “Ferromagnetism as a Universal Feature of Nanoparticles of the Otherwise Nonmagnetic Oxides,” Phys. Rev. B 74:161306, 2006.
- Garcia, M.A., Merino, J.M., Ferna’ndez Pinel, E., Quesada, A. et al. , “Magnetic Properties of ZnO Nanoparticles,” Nano Lett 7:1489-1497, 2007.