This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Analysis on Waste Heat Recovery Unit for Boiler Plant
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
A waste heat recovery unit (WHRU) is an energy recovery heat exchanger that recovers heat from hot streams with high energy contents. In this study, the modification of the design of the waste heat recovery unit which receives flue gases from the boiler in order extract the heat from flue gases and enhance the heat transfer rate. Generally, the body of the waste heat recovery unit of the boiler is made up of Aluminium which receives exhaust gases from the boiler plant through two inlets of different sizes which connected to exhaust outlets of the plant. This unit assists to extract the heat from the flue gases with help of rubber jacket wrapped around it which has inlet and outlet for circulation of water in order to extract the heat from the flue gases. Due to wear and tear of the rubber jacket which leads leakage of the water and steam, leads to poor exchange of heat and hence needs frequent replacement instead of service. To overcome the problems of rubber jacket life, an attempt is made by replacing the rubber jacket with coiled pipes on both the ducts of the unit, further by increasing the rigidity of the body with improved thickness in order to have reduced vibrations. Using CFD analysis the velocity streamlines before and after modification of the design are compared and hear transfer rates are evaluated for analysis using Duct temperature contours for both counter and parallel flow approaches.
CitationU S, J. and Ahmed Khan, M., "CFD Analysis on Waste Heat Recovery Unit for Boiler Plant," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0508, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Lee, S., Kum, S.M., and Lee, C.E. , “Performances of a Heat Exchanger and Pilot Boiler for the Development of a Condensing Gas Boiler,” Energy 36:3945-3951, 2011.
- Chanil, P., and Laehyun, K. , “A Development of Test Method on the Energy Consumption Efficiency of Domestic Gas Boiler below 70 Kw,” J Energ Eng 25:73-82, 2016.
- Ringler, J., Seifert, M., Guyotot, V., and Hübner, W. , “Rankine Cycle for Waste Heat Recovery of IC Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):67-76, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0174.
- Bae, S., Heo, H., Lee, H., Lee, D. et al. , “Performance Characteristics of a Rankine Steam Cycle and Boiler for Engine Waste Heat Recovery,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0055, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-28-0055.
- Manenti, G., Papasidero, D., Manenti, F., Bozzano, G. et al. , “Design of SRU Thermal Reactor and Waste Heat Boiler Considering Recombination Reaction,” Procedia Engineering 42, 2012.
- Ebara, R., Tanaka, F., and Kawasaki, M. , “Sulfuric Acid Dew Point Corrosion in Waste Heat Boiler Tube for Copper Smelting Furnace,” Engineering Failure Analysis 33, 2013.
- Lee, C.-E., Yu, B.-J., Kim, D.-H., and Jang, S.-H. , “Analysis of the Thermodynamic Performance of a Waste-Heat-Recovery Boiler with Additional Water Spray onto Combustion Air Stream,” Applied Thermal Engineering 135(5):197-205, May 2018.
- Xiling, Z., Lin, F., Tao, S., Jing, Y.W. et al. , “The Recovery of Waste Heat of Flue Gas from Gas Boilers,” Sci Technol Built Environ 23:490-499, 2017.
- Manickam, M., Schwarz, M.P., and Perry, J. , “CFD Modelling of Waste Heat Recovery Boiler,” Applied Mathematical Modelling 22:823-840, 1998.
- Sogni, A., and Chiesa, P. , “Calculation Code for Helically Coiled Heat Recovery Boiler,” Energy Procedia 45, 2014.
- Chandravanshi, A., and Suryawanshi, J.G. , “Waste Heat Recovery from Exhaust Gases through I C Engine Using Thermoelectric Generator,” Indian Journal of Applied Research 3(7), Feb. 2013.
- Jyothi, U.S., and Vijaya Kumar Reddy, K. , “CFD Analysis on Particle Diameter in Hydrogen-Enriched Diesel Engine for Different Piston Bowl Geometries,” International Journal of Ambient Energy, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2019.1710565.
- Jin, Y., Gao, N., and Zhu, T. , “Techno-Economic Analysis on a New Conceptual Design of Waste Heat Recovery for Boiler Exhaust Flue Gas of Coal-Fired Power Plants,” Energy Conservation and Managements 200, Nov. 2019.
- Cao, X.Q., Yang, W.W., Zhou, F. et al. , “Performance Analysis of Different High-Temperature Heat Pump Systems for Low-Grade Waste Heat Recovery,” Appl Thermal Eng 71:291-300, 2014.