This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Metamodel Generation for Frontal Crash Scenario of a Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
A frontal impact scenario was simulated using a Finite Element Model of a Hybrid III 50th percentile male (LSTC, Livermore CA) along with seatbelt, steering system and driver airbags. The boundary conditions included acceleration pulse to the seat and the outputs including injury measures in terms of Head Injury Criterion (HIC), Normalized Neck Injury Criterion (NIJ) and Chest Severity Index (CSI) were extracted from the simulations. The kinematics of the Hybrid III were validated against the kinematics of post mortem human surrogates (PMHS) available in the literature. Using the validated setup, metamodels were generated by creating a design of varying different parameters and recording the responses for each design. First, the X and Z translation of dummy along the seat is provided as input for which there was no variation in the head injury criterion (HIC). Next, the input pulse to the seat is parameterized along with the seatbelt loading and the results are obtained respectively. The outputs, in terms of injury measures, are generated in the form of metamodels as a function of the parameters. The occupant model used for the frontal crash scenario in LS-Dyna is validated against the previously available crash experimental data. A total of 100 design points was generated with a varying combination of parameters. An increase in various injury measures was observed with an increase in the scale factor of the acceleration pulse. Also, it was found that chest severity index increased with an increase in the scale factor of the seat belt loading force.
CitationShankar, H., Selvaraju, R., and Sankarasubramanian, H., "Metamodel Generation for Frontal Crash Scenario of a Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0504, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Yoganandan, N., Humm, J.R., and Pintar, F.A. , “Force Corridors of Post Mortem Human Surrogates in Oblique Side Impacts from Sled Tests,” Ann. Biomed. Eng. 41(11):2391-2398, 2013.
- Yoganandan, N., Arun, M.W., Stemper, B.D., Pintar, F.A. et al. , “Biomechanics of Human Thoracolumbar Spinal Column Trauma from Vertical Impact Loading,” Ann. Adv. Automot. Med 57:155-166, 2013.
- Yoganandan, N., Humm, J.R., Arun, M.W., and Pintar, F.A. , “Oblique Lateral Impact Biofidelity Deflection Corridors from Post Mortem Human Surrogates,” Stapp Car Crash J. 57:427-440, 2013.
- Bose, D., Segui-Gomez, M., and Crandall, J.R. , “Vulnerability of Female Drivers Involved in Motor Vehicle Crashes: An Analysis of US Population at Risk,” Am. J. Public Health 101(12):2368-2373, 2011.
- Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F.A., Moore, J., and Maiman, D.J. , “Sensitivity of THOR and Hybrid III Dummy Lower Neck Loads to Belt Systems in Frontal Impact,” Traffic Inj. Prev. 12(1):88-95, 2011b.
- Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F.A., Schlick, M., Moore, J. et al. , “Comparison of Head-Neck Responses in Frontal Impacts Using Restrained Human Surrogates,” Ann. Adv. Automot. Med 55:181-191, 2011c.
- Parent, D.P., Craig, M., Ridella, S.A., and McFadden, J.D. , “Thoracic Biofidelity Assessment of the THOR Mod Kit ATD,” in The 23nd ESV Conference, Seoul, Korea, 2013.
- Gayzik, F.S., Moreno, D.P., Vavalle, N.A., Rhyne, A.C. et al. , “Development of a Full Human Body Finite Element Model for Blunt Injury Prediction Utilizing a Multimodality Medical Imaging Protocol,” in Proceedings of the 12th International LSDYNA User Conference, Dearborn, MI, 2012.
- Acar, E. , “Increasing Automobile Crash Response Metamodel Accuracy through Adjusted Cross Validation Error Based on Outlier Analysis,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 20:107-122, 2014.
- Arun, M.W.J., Umale, S., Humm, J.R., Yoganandan, N. et al. , “Evaluation of Kinematics and Injuries to Restrained Occupants in Far-Side Crashes Using Full-Scale Vehicle and Human Body Models,” Traffic Injury Prevention 17:116-123, 2016.
- Yin, H., Fang, H., Wang, Q., and Wen, G. , “Design Optimization of a MASH TL-3 Concrete Barrier Using RBF-Based Metamodels and Nonlinear Finite Element Simulations,” Engineering Structures 114:122-134, 2016.
- Gao, F.L., Bai, Y.C., Lin, C., and Kim, I.Y. , “A Time-Space Kriging-Based Sequential Metamodeling Approach for Multi-Objective Crashworthiness Optimization,” Applied Mathematical Modelling 69:378-404, 2019.
- Arun, M.W.J., Hadagali, P., Pintar, F., and Yoganandan, N. , “Normalized Frontal Impact Bio Fidelity Kinematic Corridors Using Post Mortem Human Surrogates,” Journal of the Mechanical Behaviour of Biomedical Materials 79:20-29, 2018.