This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modular Design and Analyze of Air Intake Manifold for Formula Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The SAE formula student car organization constrained a rule to place a restrictor of diameter 20mm in between the throttle body and the engine inlet. The restrictor is a component that reduces and regulates the mass flow of air into the engine inlet. For this, a venture nozzle will be used as a restrictor in a vehicle to decrease the air pressure and increase the velocity in the intake manifold. Our proposed work aims to minimize the pressure drop by changing the convergent and divergent angles in the restrictor. For this by using solidworks eight various combinations of models with convergent angle as 13, 15 degrees, and divergent angle as 5,7 degrees was designed and analyzed using CFD fluent in ansys work bench. In this, 13 degree as convergent and 5 degree as a divergent model was found to have laminar airflow throughout with optimum pressure drop. The plenum is a large duct that equalizes the pressure drop caused by the restrictor in order to improve the efficiency of the engine. By varying the shape of the plenum as elliptical, with volume as 1.8, 2.8Litres eight models were designed and analyzed by applying constrains in velocity and pressure of air medium flowing through it. It was found that the elliptical shape of volume 1.8 Liters with a 15degree convergent and 7degree divergent angle was suitable to maintain effective output and response of the engine. Therefore, the proposed model of restrictor and plenum will be recommended for the nominal response of the engine without affecting the efficiency.
CitationRanganathan, S., kumar, S., thirunavukkarasu, S., and Muthuswamy, S., "Modular Design and Analyze of Air Intake Manifold for Formula Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0485, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Prasetyo , B. , Sabino , U. , Maharani , E.T. , and Setyohandoko , G. Computational Studies of an Intake Manifold for Restricted Engine Application American Institute of Physics https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5024094
- Pant , S. , Kumar , P. , and Kishor , R. Design and Analysis of Air Intake System for Single Cylinder Engine International Journal of Trend in Scientific Research and Development
- Deshpande , O.N. and Narappanawar , N.L. Space Advantage Provided by De-Laval Nozzle and Bell Nozzle over Venturi Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering (WCE) 2015 2 1 3
- Waghmare , S.N. , Karekar , N.S. , Karande , P.P. , and Pandhare , S.B. Design & Analysis for Intake System of Formula SAE Car International Journal of Engineering Technology, Management and Applied Sciences 4 2 2349 4476
- Ranganathan , S. , Thiyagarajan , A. , Kuppuraj , S. , and Chandrasakaran , P. Design and Analysis of De-Lavel Restrictor with Throttle Body for Formula Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0009 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0009
- Ronak , I. , Swapnil , S. , Mohite , G.S.D. , Shelar , V.R. et al. Design and Analysis of Air Restrictor Venturi in SAE Supra International Journal of Recent Trends in Engg & Research https://doi.org/10.23883/IJRTER.2017.3094.THX99
- Sawant , P.M. , Sawant , S.S. , Gurav , P.N. , and Nivalkar , P.S. Analysis of Air Intake for Formula Student Race Car International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology 5 4 2395 0056 2018
- Ceviz , M. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2006.08.006
- Shivam , G. , and Nikhil , K. Validification of Engine Intake System International Journal of Engineering Science and Engineering Technology 6 10 2395 0868 2018
- Vichia , G. , Romania , L. , Ferrarib , L. , and Ferraraa , G. Development of an Engine Variable Geometry Intake System for a Formula SAE Application 69th Conference of the Italian Thermal Machines Engineering Association https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.12.149
- Sathishkumar , K. , Soundararajan , R. , Dinesh , G. , and Surjith , S. Design and Air Flow Analysis in Intake Manifold with Different Cross Section Using CFD International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering 8 4 2019