This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Clutch Characteristics to Improve the Launch Performance of a Sports-Utility Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Vehicles with manual transmission are still the most preferred choice in emerging markets like India due to their benefits in cost, simplicity and fuel economy. However, the ever-increasing vehicle population and traffic congestion demand a smooth clutch operation and a comfortable launch behaviour of any manual transmission vehicle. In the present work, the launch performance of a sports-utility vehicle (SUV) equipped with dual mass flywheel (DMF) and self-adjusting technology (SAT) clutch could be improved significantly by optimizing the clutch system.
The vehicle was observed to be having a mild judder during clutch release (with 0% accelerator pedal input) in a normal 1st gear launch in flat road conditions. An extensive experimental measurement at the vehicle level could reveal the launch judder is mainly due to the 1st order excitation forces created by the geometrical inaccuracy of the internal parts of the clutch system. Moreover, the forces are amplified by the resonance of the complete driveline with the first eigen mode at 8 to 12 Hz. A detailed study in the 1-dimensional torsional simulation model revealed that the eigen mode frequency of the real-wheel drive architecture is mainly driven by several parameters (mass, inertia, torsional stiffness) of the driveline components. Hence, the 1st order excitation forces were needed to be controlled to improve the launch performance. Based on the detailed design of experiments (DOE), it was evident that the cushion disc stiffness and clutch disc parallelism are the significant contributors to the excitation forces. The launch performance of the vehicle could be significantly improved by reducing the cushion disc stiffness at lower axial load (300 N) and by controlling the clutch disc parallelism within a tight tolerance range. The effect of these modifications on different launch conditions is also explained in detail in the present work. The paper gives a holistic view of improving the launch performance of any vehicle without compromising any other parameter.
- Vikraman Vellandi - Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- Suresh Kumar Somarajan - Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- Jaganathan Nagarajan - Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- Arunkumar VIJAYAN - Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- Rohan karbade - Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- Vikraman Vellandi - Mahindra & Mahindra, Ltd.
- Suresh Kumar Somarajan - Mahindra & Mahindra, Ltd.
- Jaganathan Nagarajan - Mahindra & Mahindra, Ltd.
- Arunkumar VIJAYAN - Mahindra & Mahindra, Ltd.
- Rohan karbade - Mahindra & Mahindra, Ltd.
- Muthuraman Ramanathan - Amalgamations Valeo Clutch
CitationVellandi, V., Somarajan, S., Nagarajan, J., VIJAYAN, A. et al., "Optimization of Clutch Characteristics to Improve the Launch Performance of a Sports-Utility Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0481, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Vikraman , V. , Sureshkumar , S. , and Mohan Selvakumar , G. A Comprehensive Study on the Challenges of Dual Mass Flywheel in Real World Operating Conditions of the Indian Market SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1014 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1014
- Genç , M.O. , Budak , B. , and Kaya , N. Modelling and Vibration Analysis of Powertrain System International Journal of Automotive Science and Technology 2 2018
- Mohire , S. , Kapse , R. , and Tendulkar , V. Study of Clutch Judder Phenomenon in Manual Transmission Vehicle and Its Analysis Approach SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0215 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0215
- Crowther , A. , Zhang , N. , Liu , D.K. , and Jeyakumaran , J.K. Analysis and Simulation of Clutch Engagement Judder and Stick-Slip in Automotive Powertrain Systems Proc. Instn. of Mech. Engineers 218 Part D 2004
- Yuan , R. , and Wu , G. Mechanism Analysis of Vehicle Start-Up Judder Based on Gradient Characteristic of Stribeck Effect Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering July 2019
- Zehn , M.W. , and Biao , J.Z. Study on Clutch Engagement Judder during Launch Process for Dual Clutch Transmissions International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 6 2-4 176 199 Nov. 2010
- Bostwick , C. , and Szadkowski , A. Self-Excited Vibrations during Engagements of Dry Friction Clutches SAE Technical Paper 982846 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/982846
- Neto , M.M. and Carlos , L. Use of LMS Amesim, Model to Predict Behavior Impacts of Typical Failure in Aircrafts The 15th Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, SICFP’17 Linköping, Sweden June 7-9, 2017