This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Motorist Warning System on Road Bends in Hilly Regions for Safer Riding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Safety is a major concern addressed in various industries and most specifically in transportation industries. Road accidents are undoubtedly more frequent and are responsible for many permanent disabilities deaths worldwide. Many works have been done to improve the safety of different vehicles as the number of accidents is increasing. The main objective of this work is to further improve road safety by providing instantaneous warnings to drivers about hazards in their intended path in hilly region. This further it aims to provide a pleasant and peaceful hill travel and to avoid any possibility of accidents in hill curves. The roads in these hilly regions are always filled with many hectic and endless curves. These curves are classified into Hair-Pin Curves, Salient Curves and Re-entrant Curves. These curves offers partial or no visibility about the incoming traffic for the drivers. In this approach two ultrasonic sensors are used to obtain the velocity and the distance of the object placed in the curves. The signals from the two sensors are obtained, compared and the probability of the vehicles reaching the curves is predicted using a simple algorithm with the help of Arduino UNO module. Then the warning signals are provided to the lamps and thus the drivers can be alerted by this approach the accidents can be avoided effectively.
CitationElsen, R. and Deepa, J., "Motorist Warning System on Road Bends in Hilly Regions for Safer Riding," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0480, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Kusano , K.D. , and Gabler , H.C. Safety Benefits of Forward Collision Warning, Brake Assist, and Autonomous Braking Systems in Rear-End Collisions IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 13 4 1546 1555 2012
- NCRB 2015
- Cho , H. , and Kim , B.W. Performance Improvement of Collision Warning System on Curved Road Based on Intervehicle Communication Mathematical Problems in Engineering 2015 2015
- NHTSA 2012
- Hubele , N. , and Kennedy , K. Forward Collision Warning System Impact Traffic Injury Prevention 19 Supp. 2 S78 S83 2018
- Lazarev , Y. , Medres , C. , Raty , J. , and Bondarenko , A. Method of Assessment and Prediction of Temperature Conditions of Roadway Surfacing as a Factor of the Road Safety Transportation Research Procedia 20 Sept. 2016 393 400 2017
- Pooja , P.R. and Hariharan , B. An Early Warning System for Traffic and Road Safety Hazards Using Collaborative Crowd Sourcing Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing, ICCSP 2017 2018 1203 1206
- Seeherman , J. , and Liu , Y. Effects of Extraordinary Snowfall on Traffic Safety Accident Analysis and Prevention 81 194 203 2015
- Teke , M. , and Duran , F. The Design and Implementation of Road Condition Warning System for Drivers Measurement and Control (United Kingdom) 52 7-8 985 994 2019