This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of TiB2 on Mechanical and Microstructural Properties of AZ91 Matrix Composites Manufactured by Cold Chamber Die Casting Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In these work AZ91 magnesium matrix composites reinforced with two weight fractions (5 and 10 wt. %) of TiB2 particulates were fabricated by cold chamber die casting process technique. The microstructure, density, hardness, mechanical properties of the specimens was investigated. Microstructure studies showed that fairly uniform distribution of reinforcements was achieved up to the weight fraction studied. As compared to base alloy AZ91, the hardness and tensile strength considerably increased with increasing reinforcement content. The presence of TiB2 particles improved the hardness around 24.4 %, compressive strength around 67.2% and the yield strength around 20%. The enormous amount of increment in the compressive strength due to the dislocation density created by the difference in thermal properties of matrix and composites and also due to the micro-pores presence in the composite.
CitationR, S., P, P., and M, P., "The Effect of TiB2 on Mechanical and Microstructural Properties of AZ91 Matrix Composites Manufactured by Cold Chamber Die Casting Process," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0425, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Gupta, M., and Sharon, N.M.L. , Magnesium, Magnesium Alloys, and Magnesium Composites (New Jersey: Wiley, 2011), 5.
- Deng, K.K., Wu, K., Wu, Y.W. et al. , “Effect of Submicron Size SiC Particulates on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of AZ91 Magnesium Matrix Composites,” J. Alloys Compd. 504:542-547, 2010.
- Zheng, M.Y., Wua, K., Kamado, S., and Kojima, Y. , “Aging Behavior of Squeeze Cast SiC/AZ91 Magnesium Matrix Composite,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A 348:67-75, 2003.
- Reyes, E.B., Perez, R., and Contreras, A. , “Effect of Heat Treatment on the Mechanical and Microstructural Characterization of Mg-AZ91E/TiC Composites,” Compos. Interfaces 24(6):593-609, 2017.
- Zheng, M.Y., Wu, K., Liang, M. et al. , “The Effect of Thermal Exposure on the Interface and Mechanical Properties of Al 18B4O33w/AZ91 Magnesium Matrix Composite,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A 372:66-74, 2004.
- Deng, K.K., Wang, X.J., Wu, Y.W. et al. , “Effect of Particle Size on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of SiCp/AZ91 Magnesium Matrix Composite,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A 543:158-163, 2012.
- Yu, W., Wang, X., Zhao, H. et al. , “Microstructure, Mechanical Properties and Fracture Mechanism of Ti AlC Reinforced AZ91D Composites Fabricated by Stir Casting,” J. Alloys Compd. 702:199-208, 2017.
- Kandil , “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of SiCp /AZ91 Magnesium Matrix Composites Processed by Stir Casting,” J. Eng. Sci., Assiut Univ 40(1):255-270, 2012.
- Vinarcik, E.J. , High Integrity Die Casting Processes (New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2003).
- Wong, W.L.E., Karthik, S., and Gupta, M. , “Development of High Performance Mg-Al2O3 Composites Containing Al2O3 in Submicron Length Scale Using Microwave Assisted Rapid Sintering,” Mater. Sci. Technol. 21(9):1063-1070, 2005.
- Spierings, A.B., Schneider, M., and Eggenberger, R. , “Comparison of Density Measurement Techniques for Additive Manufactured Metallic Parts,” Rapid Prototyping J. 17(5):380-386, 2011.
- Wang, H.Y., Jiang, Q.C., and Wang, Y. , “Fabrication of TiB2 Particulate Reinforced Magnesium Matrix Composites by Powder Metallurgy,” Mater. Lett. 58:3509-3513, 2004.
- Xiao-Peng, C., Hai-Feng, L., Jian, M., and De-Ping, Z. , “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Die-Cast AZ91 D Magnesium Alloy by Pr Additions,” s435-s438 Jan. 2010
- Cerri, E., Leo, P., and De Marco, P.P. , “Hot Compression Behaviour of the AZ91 Magnesium Alloy Produced by High Pressure DIE Casting,” 189(2007):97-106, Jan. 2007.
- Braszczynska-Malik, K.N., Zawadzki, I., Walczak, W., and Braszczynski, J. , “Mechanical Properties of High-Pressure Die-Casting AZ91 Magnesium Alloy,” 8(4), July 2008.
- Yinghong, P., Dayong, L., Wang, Y., Jilong, Y. et al. , “Numerical Study on the Low Pressure Die Casting of AZ91D Wheel Hub” Materials Science Forum 488-489, Aug. 2005, ISSN: 1662-9752.