This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nd: YAG Laser Welding of Stainless Steel 304: The Effects of Al2O3 Micro Particles Addition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In the present work, fabrication of similar Stainless Steel (SS) 304 joints by Nd-YAG Laser Welding Process (LWP) was done. A novel approach was attempted in this study. Welding was performed on dual sides of the plate (top and bottom) for a better mixture of micro powder particles in the weld pool region to achieve maximum depth of penetration, which is not easily possible in a single-sided LWP. High depth of penetration during fabrication of joints, significantly improved the mixture ratio of molten steel with reinforced micro powder particles. Al2O3 micro powder particles were reinforced in the weld pool region through the drilling process with varying depth ratios, and a moderate gap was maintained between each hole. The effects of Al2O3 on the microstructure and mechanical properties were studied and elaborated. Totally 12 samples were fabricated and joining was performed keeping the frequency as constant and varying laser power, travel speed for all the trials. The findings revealed that joints fabricated with powders showed a decrease in the tensile strength and microhardness when compared with joints fabricated without powders. The microstructures for all the samples at the fusion zone showed refined grains irrespective of the joints fabricated with and without powders. However, reduction in mechanical properties is due to discontinuity in the weld pool zone, irregular distribution of powder particles and void defects which are observed in microstructure evolution. A significant increment in tensile strength in transverse cross-section, longitudinal cross-section and microhardness was observed for the joints fabricated without powders with the operating process parameters low laser power and travel speed. Low laser power created less heat deposition in the weld pool, low travel speed influenced the contact of laser source in the weld region.
CitationArulvizhi, V., Alandur Somasundaram, S., viswanathan, k., and ANNAKARA SANKARANARAYANAN, U., "Nd: YAG Laser Welding of Stainless Steel 304: The Effects of Al2O3 Micro Particles Addition," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0418, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0418.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Kumar, N., Mukherjee, M., and Bandyopadhyay, A., “Comparative Study of Pulsed Nd : YAG Laser Welding of AISI 304 and AISI 316 Stainless Steels,” Optics and Laser Technology 88:24-39, 2017.
- Gardner, L. , “Thin-Walled Structures Stability and Design of Stainless Steel Structures - Review and Outlook,” Thin Walled Structures 141(March):208-216, 2019.
- Hebbale, A.M., and Srinath, M.S., “Microstructural Investigation of Ni Based Cladding Developed on Austenitic SS-304 through Microwave Irradiation,” Integrative Medicine Research 5(4):293-301, 2016.
- Tiziani, A., Giordano, L., Matteazzi, P., and Badan, B., “Laser Stellite Coatings on Austenitic Stainless Steels,” Materials science and engineering 88:171-175, 1987.
- Boztepe, E., Alves, A.C., Ariza, E., Rocha, L.A. et al., “A Comparative Investigation of the Corrosion and Tribocorrosion Behaviour of Nitrocarburized, Gas Nitrided, Fluidized-Bed Nitrided and Plasma Nitrided Plastic Mould Steel,” Surface & Coatings Technology, 2017.
- Zhang, X., Wang, J., Fan, H., and Pan, D., “Erosion-Corrosion Resistance Properties of 316L Austenitic Stainless Steels after Low-Temperature Liquid Nitriding,” Applied Surface Science, 2018.
- Duan, C., Chen, C., Zhang, J., Shen, Y. et al., “Nitriding of Fe-18 Cr-8Mn Stainless Teel Powders by Mechanical Alloying Method with Dual Nitrogen Source,” Powder Technology, 2016.
- Zhao, F., Wu, M., Jiang, B., Zhang, C. et al., “A Effect of Nitrogen Contents on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of V-Ti Microalloyed Steels for the Forging of Crankshafts,” Materials Science & Engineering A 731(June):360-368, 2018.
- Bottoli, A.F. et al., “High Temperature Solution-Nitriding and Low-Temperature Nitriding of AISI 316; Effect on Pitting Potential and Crevice Corrosion Performance,” Applied Surface Science, 2017.
- Tamilarasan, T.R., Rajendran, R., Siva, M., Sanjith, U. et al., “Wear and Scratch Behaviour of Electroless Ni-P-Nano-TiO2: Effect of Surfactants,” Wear 346-347:148-157, 2016.
- Soltani, H.M., and Tayebi, M., “Comparative Study of AISI 304L to AISI 316L Stainless Steel Joints by TIG and Nd:YAG Laser Welding,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2018.
- Kianezhad, M., and Raouf, A.H., “Effect of Nano-Al2O3 Particles and Friction Stir Processing on 5083 TIG Welding Properties,” Journal of Materials Processing Tech, 2018.
- Singh, T., Tiwari, S.K., and Shukla, D.K., “Results in Materials Friction-Stir Welding of AA6061-T6 : The Effects of Al2O3 Nano-Particles Addition,” Results in Materials 1(July):100005, 2019.
- Nosko, M. et al., “A Solid-State Joining of Powder Metallurgy Al- Al2O3 Nanocomposites Via Friction-Stir Welding: Effects of Powder Particle Size on the Weldability, Microstructure, and Mechanical Property,”754:190-204, 2019.
- Gopienko, V.G. , Production of Aluminum Powders Second Edition (Elsevier Ltd., 2019).
- Chen, S., Zhang, M., Huang, J., Cui, C. et al., “Microstructures and Mechanical Property of Laser Butt Welding of Titanium Alloy to Stainless Steel,” Materials and Design 53:504-511, 2014.
- Sahoo, C.K., and Masanta, M., “Effect of Pulse Laser Parameters on TiC Reinforced AISI 304 Stainless Steel Composite Coating by Laser Surface Engineering Process,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering 67:36-48, 2015.
- Shenyong, L., Yucheng, L., and Qiang, Z., “The Filler Powders Laser Welding of ODS Ferritic Steels,” Journal of Nuclear Materials 456:206-210, 2015.
- Sehrt, J.T., Kleszczynski, S., and Notthoff, C., “Nanoparticle Improved Metal Materials for Additive Manufacturing,” Progress in Additive Manufacturing 2(4):179-191, 2017.
- J. Schwarz and B. Oertel, “Sol-Gel Alumina Coatings on Stainless Steel for Wear Protection,” 179-184, 2006.
- Almeida, I.A. et al., “Optimization of Titanium Cutting by Factorial Analysis of the Pulsed Nd : YAG Laser Parameters,”179:105-110, 2006.
- Prabakaran, M.P., and Kannan, G.R., “Optimization of Laser Welding Process Parameters in Dissimilar Joint of Stainless Steel AISI316/AISI1018 Low Carbon Steel to Attain the Maximum Level of Mechanical Properties through PWHT,” Optics and Laser Technology 112(Aug. 2018):314-322, 2019.
- Sun, J., Yang, Y., and Wang, D., “Optics & Laser Technology Parametric Optimization of Selective Laser Melting for Forming Ti6Al4V Samples by Taguchi Method,” Optics and Laser Technology 49:118-124, 2013.
- Tamrin, K.F., Nukman, Y., Sheikh, N.A., and Harizam, M.Z., “Determination of Optimum Parameters Using Grey Relational Analysis for Multi-Performance Characteristics in CO2 Laser Joining of Dissimilar Materials,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering 57:40-47, 2014.
- Akbari, M., Saedodin, S., and Toghraie, D., “Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Temperature Distribution and Melt Pool Geometry during Pulsed Laser Welding of Ti6Al4V Alloy,” Optics and Laser Technology 59:52-59, 2014.
- Shanmugam, N.S., Buvanashekaran, G., Sankaranarayanasamy, K., and Kumar, S.R., “A Transient Finite Element Simulation of the Temperature and Bead Profiles of T-Joint Laser Welds,” Materials and Design 31(9):4528-4542, 2010.
- Cherepanov, A.N., and Shapeev, V.P., “Modelling of Laser Welding of Flat Parts Using the Modifying Nanopowders,” Thermophysics and aero mechanics 20(2):237-250, 2013.
- Suárez, A. et al., “Modeling of Phase Transformations of Ti6Al4V during Laser Metal Deposition,” Physics procedia 12:666-673, 2011.
- Torkamany, M.J., Sabbaghzadeh, J., and Hamedi, M.J., “Effect of Laser Welding Mode on the Microstructure and Mechanical Performance of Dissimilar Laser Spot Welds between Low Carbon and Austenitic Stainless Steels,” Materials and Design 34:666-672, 2012.
- Sathiya, P., Kumar, M., and Shanmugarajan, B., “Effect of Shielding Gases on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Super Austenitic Stainless Steel by Hybrid Welding,” Materials and Design 33:203-212, 2012.
- Rokanopoulou, A., Skarvelis, P., and Papadimitriou, G.D., “Surface & Coatings Technology Microstructure and Wear Properties of the Surface of 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel Reinforced with Al2O3 Particles by the Plasma Transferred Arc Technique,” Surface & Coatings Technology 254:376-381, 2014.
- Venkatesu, S., Gangaraju, M., Bhaskar, S., and Naidu, B.V.V., “A Study of Laser Beam Welding, Gas Tungsten Arc Welding and High Temperature Brazing Processes on Micro Hardness and Tensile Strength of AISI Type 316 Stainless Steel,” Procedia Computer Science 133:10-18, 2018.
- Shanmugarajan, B., and Padmanabham, G., “Fusion Welding Studies Using Laser on Ti - SS Dissimilar Combination,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering 50:1621-1627, 2012.
- Sarac, İ., Adin, H., and Temiz, S., “Investigation of the Effect of Use of Nano Al2O3, Nano TiO2, Nano SiO2 Powders on Strength of Single Lap Joints Bonded with Epoxy Adhesive,” Composites Part B 166:472-482, 2019.