This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of the Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Stir cum Squeeze Cast A356 with 5wt. % SiC and
x wt. % Flyash Hybrid Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The forged connecting rod and pin experience a large amount of stresses due to cyclic load for a long period of time induced by the reciprocating movement of the piston. The proposed work focused to produce lightweight composites with high strength using waste flyash and simple manufacturing process. In this context, the proposed experimental work was formulated to develop aluminium alloy hybrid metal matrix composite of A356 alloy with silicon carbide and flyash processed through stir cum squeeze casting process under optimal parametric condition. The samples were subjected to varying flyash content of 0, 5, 10wt.% and SiC of 5wt.% kept constant. Responses like metallography, hardness, impact strength, flexural strength, fatigue strength were observed for the manufactured hybrid composites. There was a significant improvement in the properties with a higher weight percentage addition of 10wt.% flyash and 5wt.% SiC with A356 hybrid composites. As the waste flyash and hard ceramic particles act as a barrier for dislocation movement and resist plastic deformation followed by cyclic strength was improved. The micro pour free densification during squeezing also added for the above property. The coupled effect of both the reinforcement’s addition and squeezing of the liquid metal shows enormous results than the other combinations and similar researcher's findings. So, the developed hybrid composites and their processing route are recommended for the automotive industries to fabricate connecting rod in the future.
CitationRanganathan, S., gopal, S., Aruchamy, S., and Perumal, A., "Assessment of the Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Stir cum Squeeze Cast A356 with 5wt. % SiC and
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Veeresh Kumar, G.B., Rao, C.S.P., and Selvaraj, N. , “Studies on Mechanical and Dry Sliding Wear of Al6061-SiC Composites,” Composites Part B 43:1185-1191, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2011.08.046.
- Vinod, B., Ramanathan, S., Ananthi, V., and Selvakumar, N. , “Fabrication and Characterization of Organic and in-Organic Reinforced A356 Aluminium Matrix Hybrid Composite by Improved Double-Stir Casting,” Silicon 11:817-829, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-018-9881-5.
- Mazahery, A., and Ostad Shabani, M. , “Mechanical Properties of Squeeze-Cast A356 Composites Reinforced with B4C Particulates,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 21:247-252, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-011-9867-6.
- Sajjadi, S.A., Parizi, M.T., Ezatpour, H.R., and Sedghi, A. , “Fabrication of A356 Composite Reinforced with Micro and Nano Al2O3 Particles by a Developed Compocasting Method and Study of Its Properties,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 511(1):226-231, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2011.08.105.
- Aigbodion, V.S., and Ezema, I.C. , “Multifunctional A356 Alloy/ PKSAnp Composites: Microstructure and Mechanical Properties,” Defence Technology, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dt.2019.05.017.
- Vijaya Ramnath, B., and Elanchezhian, C. , “Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites - A Review,” Advanced Material Science 38:55-60, 2014.
- Dwivedi, S.P., Sharma, S., and Mishra, R.K. , “Microstructure and Mechanical Behavior of A356/SiC/Fly-Ash Hybrid Composites Produced by Electromagnetic Stir Casting,” Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 37(1):57-67, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-014-0138-y.
- Muthukumar, S. , “Mechanical Behaviour of Silicon Carbide-Fly Ash Hybrid Aluminium Alloy Composites Subjected to Age Hardening,” International Journal of Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(2), 2019, http://dx.doi.org/10.4273/ijvss.11.2.16.
- Devadiga, U., Kumar, R., Poojary, R., and Fernandes, P. , “Artificial Neural Network Technique to Predict the Properties of Multiwall Carbon Nanotube-Fly Ash Reinforced Aluminium Composite,” Journal of Materials Research and Technology 8(5):3970-3977, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2019.07.005.
- Shankar, S., and Harichandran, S. , “Aluminium Alloy Reinforced with Fly Ash: Techniques and Particle Size,” Jurnal Tribologi 23:13-37, 2019.
- Sathishkumar, A., Soundararajan, R., Kaviyarasan, K., Vellingiri, S. et al. , “Extensive Review on Properties of Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced with Fly Ash,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology 9(9):1219-1231, 2018.
- Kulkarni, S.G., Meghnani, J.V., and Lal, A. , “Effect of Fly Ash Hybrid Reinforcement on Mechanical Property and Density of Aluminium 356 Alloy,” Procedia Materials Science 5:746-754, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mspro.2014.07.324.
- Dwivedi, S.P., Sharma, S., and Mishra, R.K. , “RETRACTED: Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of A356/SiC Composites Fabricated by Electromagnetic Stir Casting,” Procedia Materials Science 6:1524-1532, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mspro.2014.07.133.
- Sudarshan, and Surappa, M.K. , “Synthesis of Fly Ash Particle Reinforced A356 Al Composites and Their Characterization,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 480(1-2):117-124, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2007.06.068.
- Canute, X., and Majumder, M.C. , “Mechanical and Tribological Behavior of Stir Cast Aluminium/Boron Carbide/Flyash Composites,” Journal of Engineering Science and Technology 13(3):755-777, 2018.
- Abdizadeh, H., and Baghchesara, M.A. , “Investigation on Mechanical Properties and Fracture Behavior of A356 Aluminum Alloy Based ZrO2 Particle Reinforced Metal-Matrix Composites,” Ceramics International 39(2):2045-2050, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2012.08.057.
- Soundararajan, R., Ramesh, A., Sivasankaran, S., and Sathishkumar, A. , “Modeling and Analysis of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (A413) Processed through Squeeze Casting Route Using Artificial Neural Network Model and Statistical Technique,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/714762.
- Lee, K., Kwon, Y.N., and Lee, S. , “Effects of Eutectic Silicon Particles on Tensile Properties and Fracture Toughness of A356 Aluminum Alloys Fabricated by Low-Pressure-Casting, Casting-Forging, and Squeeze-Casting Processes,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 461(1-2):532-541, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2007.07.038.
- Chou, S.-N., Huang, J.-L., Lii, D.-F., and Lu, H.-H. , “The Mechanical Properties of Al2O3/Aluminum Alloy A356 Composite Manufactured by Squeeze Casting,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 419(1-2):98-102, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2005.10.006.
- Sekar, K., Allesu, K., and Joseph, M.A. , “Effect of T6 Heat Treatment in the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of A356 Reinforced with Nano Al2O3 Particles by Combination Effect of Stir and Squeeze Casting,” Procedia Materials Science 5:444-453, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mspro.2014.07.287.
- Soundararajan, R., Sivasankaran, S., Babu, N., Prithivi Raj, G. et al. , “Appraisal of Tribological Properties of A356 with 20% SiC Composites under Dry Sliding Condition,” Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 42:147, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-020-2231-8.
- Akhil, K.T., Arul, S., and Sellamuthu, R. , “The Effect of Heat Treatment and Aging Process on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of A356 Aluminium Alloy Sections in Casting,” Procedia Engineering 97:1676-1682, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.12.318.
- Mahendra Boopathi, M., Arulshri, K.P., and Iyandurai, N. , “Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy 2024 Reinforced with Silicon Carbide and Fly Ash Hybrid Metal Matrix Composites,” American Journal of Applied Sciences 10(3):219-229, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2013.219.229.