This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Free Vibrational Characteristics of Dual Side Nd: YAG Laser Welded Stainless Steel 304 Joints Reinforced with Al2O3 Micro Powder Particles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Nd: YAG Laser Welding Process (LWP) is the most efficient method commonly used for the joining of different kinds of materials, whether it can be a sheet or plate. LWP in general, uses high power density, frequency and travel speed or feed rate as primary process parameters in order to perform a joining process across the metals. This paper investigates the effect of free vibrational characteristics for Stainless Steel 304 (SS 304) joints which are reinforced with Al2O3 micro particles processed by dual side (welding performed on the top and bottom surface of sheets) Nd: YAG LWP. The inclusion of micro particles was inserted directly across the weld pool region, by fabricating drills with a constant gap between each drilled holes. Totally 12 samples were fabricated with different laser power, travel speed and by keeping the frequency level as constant for all the experiments. Vibration tests were performed on the fabricated samples made with and without incorporation of micro particles using accelerometer, data acquisition card, and the plots were obtained with the assist of DEWE software. The vibration equipment is used on the SS 304 joints in order to process the vibrational signals. Each sample has been tested with ten trials and the average values are drawn in order to reduce or minimize the measuring errors like (measuring error, fitting error, environmental impacts, etc.). The results revealed that vibrational characteristics are linked to factors like reinforcement of powders, selection of welding process and process parameters. It is also understood that the frequency and damping factor for a material can be varied with process parameters and inclusion of micro particles in the solidification process. Thus this paper will assist any designer to choose the process parameter ranges, reinforcement of powder particle methodology and their impact on the material behavior of fabricated joints.
CitationArulvizhi, V., Alandur Somasundaram, S., ANNAKARA SANKARANARAYANAN, U., and viswanathan, k., "Free Vibrational Characteristics of Dual Side Nd: YAG Laser Welded Stainless Steel 304 Joints Reinforced with Al2O3 Micro Powder Particles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0393, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0393.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Fissolo, A., Marc, J., and Bouin, P. , “Thermal Fatigue Loading for a Type 304-L Stainless Steel Used for Pressure Water Reactor: Investigations on the Effect of a Nearly Perfect Biaxial Loading, and on the Cumulative Fatigue Life,” Procedia Engineering, 2010.
- Ul-hamid, A., Tawancy, H.M., and Abbas, N.M. , “Failure of Weld Joints between Carbon Steel Pipe and 304 Stainless Steel Elbows,” 12:181-191, 2005.
- Aval, H.J., and Loureiro, A. , “Effect of Reverse Dual Rotation Process on Properties of Friction Stir Welding of AA7075 to AISI304,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 29(5):964-975, 2019.
- Li, G., Lu, X., Zhu, X., Guo, Y. et al. , “Fiber Laser Butt Joining of AZ31B Alloy to 304 Stainless Steels with Copper Foil,” Optics and Laser Technology 117(April):215-226, 2019.
- Gao, Y., Zhou, J., Zhang, Y., Sun, D. et al. , “Two Pass Laser Welding of TC4 Titanium Alloy and 304 Stainless Steel Using TA2/Q235 Composite Interlayer,” Materials Letters 126521, 2019.
- Rios, C.O., Amine, T., and Newkirk, J.W. , “Tensile Behavior in Selective Laser Melting,” 1187-1194, 2018.
- Hung, C., Sutton, A., Li, Y., Shen, Y. et al. , “Enhanced Mechanical Properties for 304L Stainless Steel Parts Fabricated by Laser-Foil-Printing Additive Manufacturing,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes 45(July):438-446, 2019.
- Rajesh, K., Raju, V.V.M.K., Rajesh, S., and Varma, N.S.K. , “Effect of Process Parameters on Machinability Characteristics of CO2 Laser Process Used for Cutting SS-304 Stainless Steels,” in Materials Today: Proceedings, 2019.
- Guan, K., Wang, Z., Gao, M., Li, X. et al. , “Effects of Processing Parameters on Tensile Properties of Selective Laser Melted 304 Stainless Steel,” Materials and Design 50:581-586, 2013.
- Kotadiya, D.J., and Pandya, D.H. , “Parametric Analysis of Laser Machining with Response Surface Method on SS-304,” 23:376-382, 2016.
- Shrivastava, P.K., and Pandey, A.K. , “Parametric Optimization of Multiple Quality Characteristics in Laser Cutting of Inconel-718 by Using Hybrid Approach of Multiple Regression Analysis and Genetic Algorithm,” Infrared Physics and Technology, 2018.
- Shrivastava, P.K., and Pandey, A.K. , “Geometrical Quality Evaluation in Laser Cutting of Inconel-718 Sheet by Using Taguchi Based Regression Analysis and Particle Swarm Optimization,” Infrared Physics and Technology, 2018.
- Madeira, S., Miranda, G., Soares, D., Silva, F.S. et al. , “Study on Damping Capacity and Dynamic Young’s Modulus of Aluminium Matrix Composite Reinforced with SiC Particles,” Ciência & Tecnologia dos Materiais 29(1):e92-e96, 2017.
- Singh, B., and Nanda, B.K. , “Identification of Damping Mechanism in Layered and Welded Structures,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 63(1):37-47, 2012.
- Kudu, F.N., Uçak, Ş., Osmancikli, G., Türker, T. et al. , “Estimation of Damping Ratios of Steel Structures by Operational Modal Analysis Method,” 112:61-68, 2015.
- Singh, B., and Nanda, B.K. , “Dynamic Analysis of Multilayered Welded Aluminum Cantilever Beams,” Applied Acoustics 73(11):1174-1184, 2012.
- Singh, B., and Nanda, B.K. , “Dynamic Analysis of Damping in Layered and Welded Beams,” Engineering Structures 48:10-20, 2013.
- Wang, L., Dong, Y.H., Li, Y.H., Dong, Y.H. et al. , “PT us Cr,” 2017.
- He, K., Liu, X., Yang, Q., and Chen, Y. , “An Extraction Method of Welding Crack Acoustic Emission Signal Using Harmonic Analysis,” Measurement, Feb. 2017.
- Brouet, F., Twiefel, J., and Wallaschek, J. , “Modal Interaction in Ultrasonic Welding Block Sonotrodes Induced by the Mistuning of the Material Properties,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 381:1-13, 2016.
- Li, M. et al. , “Microstructure and Property of Ni/WC/La2O3 Coatings by Ultrasonic Vibration-Assisted Laser Cladding Treatment,” 125, Dec. 2018.
- Kumar, N., Mukherjee, M., and Bandyopadhyay, A. , “Comparative Study of Pulsed Nd : YAG Laser Welding of AISI 304 and AISI 316 Stainless Steels,” Optics and Laser Technology 88:24-39, 2017.