This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving the Fuel Economy of Truck by Reducing Aerodynamics Drag - 3D CFD Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The present numerical analysis aims at studying the effect of changes in profile of truck-trailer on aerodynamic drag and its adverse effect on fuel consumption. The numerical analysis is carried out using commercial CFD software, ANSYS Fluent, with k-ω Shear tress transportation (SST) turbulence model. In present study four models of truck were analysed, including baseline model at different Reynolds numbers, namely 0.5, 1, 1.5 and 2 million. In order to enhance fuel consumption, various profile modifications have been adapted on baseline truck-trailer model by adding a spoiler and bottom diffuser at the rear of the truck, by providing vortex generator at the rear top of the truck and by adding boat tail at the end of trailer. The comparison has been done with respect to coefficient of drag, coefficient of pressure, pressure contours, and velocity vectors between all four cases. It is observed from the simulation results among different modifications of truck, adding of boat tail at the rear end of truck gives the maximum reduction in aerodynamic drag of 34.28 % as compared to baseline model, which reduces the fuel consumption by 20.57% at a speed of 82 km/h.
CitationJagdeo, S. and Senthilkumar, S., "Improving the Fuel Economy of Truck by Reducing Aerodynamics Drag - 3D CFD Study," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0383, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0383.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Schoon , R. On-Road Evaluation of Devices to Reduce Heavy Truck Aerodynamic Drag SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4294 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4294
- Leuschen , J. , and Cooper , K. Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Production and Prototype, Second-Generation Aerodynamic Drag-Reducing Devices for Tractor-Trailers SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3456 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3456
- Chowdhury , H. , Moria , H. , Ali , A. , Khan , I. et al. A Study on Aerodynamic Drag of a Semi-Trailer Truck Procedia Engineering 56 201 205 2013
- Patten , J. , McAuliffe , B. , Mayda , W. , and Tanguay , B. Review of Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Heavy Trucks and Buses National Research Council Canada Centre for Surface Transportation Technology
- Browand , F. Reducing Aerodynamic Drag and Fuel Consumption Global Climate and Energy Project Workshop on Advanced Transportation
- Schoon , R. , and Pan , F. Practical Devices for Heavy Truck Aerodynamic Drag Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1781 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1781
- Wood , R. Impact of Advanced Aerodynamic Technology on Transportation Energy Consumption SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1306 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1306
- Wang , C.
- Andrus , P.G. 2002
- Calsoyds , K. and Calley , D.G. 2003
- Smith , A.F. , Horrel , C.M. , Grossmann , J.J. , Fieldman , J.R. et al. 2012
- ANSYS Inc 2013
- Landman , D. , Wood , R. , Seay , W. , and Bledsoe , J. Understanding Practical Limits to Heavy Truck Drag Reduction SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 2 2 183 190 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2890
- Roy , S. , and Srinivasan , P. External Flow Analysis of a Truck for Drag Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3500 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3500
- Lietz , R. , Mallick , S. , Kandasamy , S. , and Chen , H. Exterior Airflow Simulations Using a Lattice Boltzmann Approach SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0596 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0596
- Wood , R. , and Bauer , S. Simple and Low-Cost Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Tractor-Trailer Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3377 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3377
- Cooper , K. Truck Aerodynamics Reborn - Lessons from the Past SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3376 2003 https;//doi.org/01.4271/2003-01-3376
- Bayraktar , I. , Landman , D. , and Baysal , O. Experimental and Computational Investigation of Ahmed Body for Ground Vehicle Aerodynamics SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2742 2001 https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2742
- McCallen , R. , Couch , R. , Hsu , J. , Browand , F. et al. Progress in Reducing Aerodynamic Drag for Higher Efficiency of Heavy-Duty Trucks (Class 7-8) SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2238 1999 https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2238
- Chilbule , C. , Upadhyay , A. , and Mukkamala , Y. Analysing the Profile Modification of Truck-Trailer to Prune the Aerodynamic Drag and its Repercussion on Fuel Consumption Procedia Engineering 97 1208 1219 2014
- Mohamed Kassim , Z. , and Filippone , A. Fuel Savings on a Heavy Vehicle Via Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Transportation Research Part D 15 275 284 2010
- Hyams , D.G. , Sreenivas , K. , Pankajakshan , R. , Nichols , D.S. et al. Computational Simulation of Model and Full-Scale Class 8 Trucks with Drag Reduction Devices Computers & Fluids 41 27 40 2011
- Storms , B.L. , Satran , D.R. , Heineck , J.T. , and Walker , S.M.
- Park , H. , Lee , D. , Jeon , W.-P. , Hahn , S. et al. Drag Reduction in Flow over a Two-Dimensional Bluff Body with a Blunt Trailing Edge Using a New Passive Device J. Fluid Mech. 563 389 414 2006
- Modi , J. , St. Hill , S. , and Yokomizo , T. Drag Reduction of Trucks through Boundary-Layer Control Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 54 55 583 594 1995
- Sheridan , A.E. and Grier , S.G.
- Garry , K.P. Development of Container-Mounted Devices for Reducing the Aerodynamic Drag of Commercial Vehicles Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 9 113 124 1981
- Velshankar , M. , Senthilkumar , S. , and Kannan , B.T. Aerodynamic Drag Reduction of an Intercity Bus through Surface Modifications - A Numerical Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0045 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0045
- Manikandan , M. , Senthilkumar , S. , and Kannan , B.T. Attenuation of Aeroacoustic Noise of a Typical Van Using Passive Devices through CFD Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0034 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0034