This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heat Transfer Enhancement Prediction of Automobile Radiator with Addition of Nano-Fluids through CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Recent years, researches are more focused on various enhancement methods for compact heat exchangers without altering the surface area of the heat exchangers. The advancements in the area of Nano fluids with better thermal properties have helped in development of light-weight, highly efficient automobile radiators. The main objective of this project is to increase the thermal performance of the radiator and thereby reducing the size of the radiator. In this project a numerical model with porous medium approach was developed and validated. Nano fluids (Aluminium oxide, Copper oxide, Graphite) of different volumes (ranging from 1%-13% in an interval of 2) are used along with water and it was observed that the heat transfer rate of the radiator is increased by 4.49% and the volume of the radiator is reduced by 5.4% for the addition of 5% of Aluminium oxide in water. Similarly, for 5% of Copper oxide the heat transfer rate is increased by 4.53% and the volume of the radiator is reduced by 5.6%, and for 5% of graphite the heat transfer rate is increased by 4.36% and the volume of radiator is reduced by 5.4%. From this project it was concluded that the addition of the Nano fluids helps to achieve the same heat transfer rate with small frontal area of the radiator.
CitationHema Kumar, T. and Senthilkumar, S., "Heat Transfer Enhancement Prediction of Automobile Radiator with Addition of Nano-Fluids through CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0363, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0363.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 14]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 15]|
- Delavari, V., and Hashemabadi, S.H. , “CFD Simulation of Heat Transfer Enhancement of Al2O3/Water and Al2O3/Ethylene Glycol Nano Fluids in a Car Radiator,” Applied Thermal Engineering 73(1):380-390, 2014.
- Güler, K.G., Barbarosçetin, and Halûkaksel, M. , “Simulation of Thermal Characteristics of Radiators Using Porous Model,” in Proceedings of Conv-14: Int. Symp. on Convective Heat and Mass Transfer,” Turkey, June 8-13, 2014.
- Sigithasan, N.P. , “Design and Development of Automotive Radiator Aided with Nanoparticles as Cooling Fluid.”
- Akbariana, E., Ajabshirchia, Y., and Ranjbarc, F. , “Performance Evaluation of ITM 285 Tractor (4.248 Perkins Diesel Engine) Cooling System and Suggestion of a New Type of Radiator,” ISESCO Journal of Science and Technology 8:27-34, 2012.
- Choi, S., Yu, W., Hull, J., Zhang, Z. et al. , “Nano Fluids for Vehicle Thermal Management,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1706 , 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1706.
- Bai, M., Xu, Z., and Lv, J. , “Application of Nanofluids in Engine Cooling System,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1821 , 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1821.
- Vila Millan, M., and Samuel, S. , “Nanofluids and Thermal Management Strategy for Automotive Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1753 , 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1753.
- Huminic, G., and Huminic, A. , “The Cooling Performances Evaluation of Nanofluids in a Compact Heat Exchanger,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1045 , 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1045.
- Mccants, D.A. and Hayes, A.M. , “Nano Fluids for Thermal Management Systems,” 9556375, 2017.
- Cao, Q., Cheng, K.L., and Zhengwen, L.F. , “High Density Nanofluidic Structure with Precisely Controlled Nano-Channel Dimensions,” 9679897, 2017.
- Ramaprabhu, S. and Sasidharan Nair Sasikala Devi, J.A. , “Nanofluid Coolant,” 9464220, 2016.
- Peyghambarzadeh, S.M., Hashemabadi, S.H., Seifi Jamnani, M., and Hoseini, S.M. , “Improving the Cooling Performance of Automobile Radiator with Al2O3/Water Nanofluid,” Applied Thermal Engineering 31:1833-1838, 2011.
- Azmi, W.H., Abdul Hamid, K., Usri, N.A., Rizalman, M. et al. , “Heat Transfer Augmentation of Ethylene Glycol: Water Nanofluids and Applications - A Review,” Int Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 75:13-23, 2016.
- Peyghambarzadeh, S.M., Hashemabadi, S.H., Naraki, M., and Vermahmoudi, Y. , “Experimental Study of Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Application of Dilute Nanofluids in the Car Radiator,” Applied Thermal Engineering 52:8-16, 2013.
- Leong, K.Y., Saidur, R., Kazi, S.N., and Mamunc, A.H. , “Performance Investigation of an Automotive Car Radiator Operated with Nanofluid Based Coolants,” Applied Thermal Engineering 30:2685-2692, 2010.
- Reddy, S.D., Chandra, S.R.M., and Rao, V.V. , “Improving the Cooling Performance of Automobile Radiator with Ethylene Glycol Water Based TiO2 Nanofluids,” Int. Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 78:121-126, 2016.
- Cengel, Y.A., and Ghajar, A.J. , Heat and Mass Transfer: Fundamentals and Applications Fifth Edition (McGraw Hill Education, 2017).
- Pak, B.C., and Cho, Y.I. , “Hydrodynamic and Heat Transfer Study of Dispersed Fluids with Submicron Metallic Oxide Particles,” Exp. Heat Transfer 11:151-170, 1998.
- Xuan, Y., and Roetzel, W. , “Conceptions of Heat Transfer Correlation of Nanofluids,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 43:3701-3707, 2000.
- Hamilton, R.L., and Crosser, O.K. , “Thermal Conductivity of Heterogeneous Two Component Systems,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam. 1(3):187-191, 1962.
- Senthil Kumar, S., and Karthikeyan, S. , “Numerical Study on Effect of Volume Fraction of Nanoparticles on Rayleigh-Bernard Convection in Different Enclosures,” Applied Mechanics and Materials 592-594:945-950, 2014.
- Senthil Kumar, S. and Karthikeyan, S. , “Numerical Simulation of Rayleigh-Bernard Convection in Enclosures Filled with Nanofluid,” Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering (New Delhi: Springer, 2014), 179-187.
- Ganesh, N., Theertham, H., and Senthilkumar, S. , “Heat Transfer Augmentation of Compact Plate Fin Heat Exchanger Using Modified Fin Surfaces,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0012 , 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0012.
- ANSYS , “Fluent Manual,” 2016.