This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of Helical Baffled Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Using Numerical Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The ideology behind the project is to change the helical angle of the baffles that are attached to the heat exchanger so that it increases the flow rate of high viscous fluids. Thermo-water powered effectiveness examinations were done on five trisection helical confound heat exchangers with unmistakable tendency edges, puzzle shapes or contact examples, and one segmental astound heat exchanger (SEG). Examinations of thermo-water powered in general execution were performed on five trisection helical perplex warmness heat exchangers with exceptional tendency edges, confound shapes or association examples, and one segmental puzzle warmness heat exchanger (SEG). A relative assessment of three regions bewilder plans with tendency edges of 10 degree (10°S), 15 degree (15°S), and 20 degree (20°S); an oval confound conspire with a tendency edge of 15 degrees (15°E), and a hub cover area perplex plot with a tendency edge of 20 degrees (20°D) become executed. Nearby pictures had been built to procure pressure misfortune qualities and stream territory dispersions. The stream region qualities, which incorporates the Dean vortex optional stream and sidestep spillage between contiguous puzzles, are demonstrated and referenced. The indistinguishable tendency edge plans have unmistakable properties because of the perplex shapes or association designs. The general execution of the start to finish conspire is better than that of the pivotal cover plot, and the oval confuse plot is the second rate compared to the field perplex plot. The 20°S plan has the ideal complete record and most reduced shell-side weight misfortune. The 10 °S plan does have the best shell-side Nusselt number and shell-side weight misfortune, and can best be selected through heat movement efficiency in a designing application that may be extremely simple.
- ELUMALAI PERUMAL VENKATESAN - DHANALAKSHMI COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- NAMBIRAJ MASILAMANI - DHANALAKSHMI COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- JAYAKAR JAYADAS - +DHANALAKSHMI COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- Mohamed Iqbal Shajahan - Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr Sagunthala R D I
- Parthasarathy Murugesan - Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr Sagunthala R D I
- Hariharan Varadharajan - Dhanalakshmi College of Engineering
CitationPERUMAL VENKATESAN, E., MASILAMANI, N., JAYADAS, J., Shajahan, M. et al., "Design and Analysis of Helical Baffled Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Using Numerical Method," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0362, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0362.
- Bahiraei, M., Hangi, M., and Saeedan, M., “A Novel Application for Energy Efficiency Improvement Using Nanofluid in Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Equipped with Helical Baffles,” Energy 93:2229-2240, 2015.
- Chen, G.D., Zeng, M., and Wang, Q.W., “Experimental and Numerical Studies on Shell-Side Performance of Three Different Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers with Helical Baffles,” J. Enhanc. Heat Trans. 18(5):449-463, 2011.
- Chen, G.D., Zeng, M., Wang, Q.W., and Qi, S.Z., “Numerical Studies on Combined Parallel Multiple Shell-Pass Shell- and-Tube Heat Exchangers with Continuous Helical Baffles,” Chem. Eng.Trans. 21:229-234, 2010.
- Chen, Y.P., Sheng, Y.J., Dong, C., and Wu, J.F., “Numerical Simulation on Weld in Circumferential Overlap Trisection Helical Baffle Heat Exchanger,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 50:1035-1043, 2013.
- Dong, C. and Chen, Y.P., “Impact of Block Plates on the Flow and Heat Transfer Performance of Middle-Axial-Overlaphelical Baffle Heat Exchangers,” J. Mech. Eng. 50(6): 135-140, 2014 (in Chinese).
- Dong, C., Chen, Y.P., Wu, J.F., Cao, R.B. et al.,“Water to Water Heat Transfer on Shell-Side of Trisection Helical Baffle Heat Exchangers,” Huagong Xuebao 63(3): 721-727, 2012 (in Chinese).
- Du, W., Wang, H., and Chen, L., “Effects of Shape and Quantity of Helical Baffle on the Shell-Side Heat Transfer and Flow Performance of Heat Exchangers,” Chinese J. Chem. Eng. 22(3):243-251, 2014.
- Gao, B., Bi, Q., Nie, Z., and Wu, J., “Experimental Study of Effects of Baffle Helix Angle on Shell-Side Performance of Shell-and Tube Heat Exchangers with Discontinuous Helical Baffles,” Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 68:48-57, 2015.
- Kral, D., Stelik, P., Van Der Ploeg, H.J., and Masster, B.I., “Helical Baffles in Shell-and-Tube Heat Exchangers, Part I: Experimental Verification,” Heat Transfer Eng. 17(1):93-101, 1996.
- Lei, Y.G., He, Y.L., Chu, P., and Li, R., “Design and Optimization of Heat Exchangers with Helical Baffles,” Chem.Eng. Sci. 63(17):4386-4395, 2008.