This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Iterative Study to Improve Air Flow Distribution on Ventilation Unit Duct Using CFD Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 18, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The aim of this paper is to optimize flow distribution on various ports of the ventilation unit. To improve the passenger comfort, ventilation unit need to be redesigned to get the uniform distribution in all ducts. There were challenges for the design modification on the unit to meet the distribution. The major challenge was to meet the distribution on the duct outlet without doing any design changes on the ducts. Hence the adapter which is the intermediate part between the blower and duct assembly is modified and simulation is done on the various design changes by changing the design of the adaptor part. CFD analysis is carried out on the ventilation unit with iterative design changes and achieved the target airflow and distribution. The analysis has been carried out on STAR CCM+ software.
CitationParayil, P., Sen, S., Sen, A., and Goel, A., "Iterative Study to Improve Air Flow Distribution on Ventilation Unit Duct Using CFD Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0030, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0030.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Amit , K.A. , Narahari , H.K. , Umesh , S. , and Kumar , V.
- Patidar , A. , Natarajan , S. , and Pande , M. CFD Analysis & Validation of Automotive HVAC System SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0535 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0535
- Toksoy , C. et al. Design of an Automotive HVAC Blower Wheel for Flow, Noise and Structure Integrity SAE Technical Paper 950437 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/950437
- Tiwari , S. , Agarwal , R. , Saxena , P. , and Acre , J. CFD Based Design Enhancement in Passenger Vehicle HVAC Module SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0058 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-26-0058
- Fred , Z.S. , Backer , G.P. , and Swanson , D. HVAC Plenum Design Analysis SAE Technical Paper 950113 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/950113
- Fischer , D. Airflow Simulation through Automotive Blowers Using Computational Fluid Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 950438 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/950438
- Gronier , P. and Gilotte , P. Airflow Simulation of an Automotive Blower for a HVAC Unit SAE Technical Paper 960961 1996 https://doi.org/10.4271/960961
- Doddaganiger , S. and Deore , N.
- Werner , F. and Frik , S. Optimization of an Automotive HVAC Module by Means of Computational Fluid Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 950439 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/950439