This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parametric Analysis of Impact of Geometrical Parameters on Thermal Performance in Compact Heat Exchangers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 18, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Compact heat exchangers are extensively used in the automotive sector especially in engine cooling and passenger cabin cooling systems. Considering the evolution of compact heat exchangers from the past several years, development on the compactness has grown up rapidly with the market demand. In line with the futuristic view, it has become mandatory to optimize their thermal performance along with compactness, manufacturing feasibility and durability requirement.
The present work investigates the cumulative impact of various geometrical parameters of tube & fin design on heat transfer coefficient and pressure drop. The parametric study determines the most optimized core matrix by considering the manufacturing constraints using the mathematical & analytical modeling. The system is mathematically modeled and then simulated to estimate the heat transfer rate, weight, free flow area, wetted area, etc. The output parameters are then normalized with respect to the existing product performance benchmark and the percentage improvement on various criterions are evaluated.
This study can be useful for designers to understand the significance of cumulative impact of various parameters of heat exchanger design which can be utilized to optimize their designs to achieve maximum thermal performance and compactness.
CitationNawani, R., Suman, S., and Kushwah, Y., "Parametric Analysis of Impact of Geometrical Parameters on Thermal Performance in Compact Heat Exchangers," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0025, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0025.
- Jeanette et al Numerically-Based Parametric Analysis of Plain Fin and Tube Compact Heat Exchangers Applied Thermal Engineering 86 2015
- Muszynski et al Parametric Study of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer over Louvered Fins of Air Heat Pump Evaporator Archieves of Thermodynamics 37 2016
- Kim , M. and Bullard , C.W. Air Side Thermal Hydraulic Performance of Multi Louvered Fin Aluminium Heat Exchangers Int. J Refrigeration 25 390 400 2002
- Gunnasegaran et al. Thermodynamics 2012
- Khaled et al.
- Malapure et al Numerical Investigation of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer over Louvered Fins in Compact Heat Exchangers International Journal of Thermal Sciences 46 199 211 2007
- Springer & Thole Entry Region of Louvered Fin Heat Exchangers Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 19 223 232 1999
- Shi et al Inflfluence of Geometrical Parameters on Thermal-Hydraulic Performance and Entropy Generation in Cross-Wavy Channels with Variable Air Properties Applied Thermal Engineering 157 113714 2019