This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Dual AC System Used for Battery Cooling Plate
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 18, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As the global warming due to carbon footprint is very alarming, vehicle emissions are getting stringent day by day. In such situation vehicle hybridization or fully electric vehicles are of obvious choices. However in any of the cases the battery cooling is a big concern area. As the heat produced by the battery need to be dissipated in the long run, it is of utmost need to develop and understand the battery cooling system. Present paper describes the experimental investigation of a battery cooling circuit. A complete bench comprising of both primary and secondary circuit is used for the testing. The primary circuit has a cooling unit with TXV, condenser and electric compressor run by high voltage. The secondary circuit consists of a chiller (integrated with TXV) unit responsible for battery cooling. The whole circuit typically resembles with one of dual air conditioning unit and uses one of known refrigerant used in vehicle AC system. However each circuit is connected with a valve for controlling the loop. The battery heat was represented by equivalent amount of heat produced by a heating system, which provides the hot coolant and gets chilled at the chiller. Necessary instrumentation was done to capture the data. The system was evaluated experimentally with different conditions of coolant flow rate, battery heat generation and compressor rpm. Detailed investigation was done in order to understand the chiller performance. The study reveals very good insight to the battery cooling system and it is very helpful for designing the cooling system.
CitationSingh, K. and Sen, S., "Experimental Investigation of Dual AC System Used for Battery Cooling Plate," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0021, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0021.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Etcheri, V., Marom, R., Elazari, R., Salitra, G., and Aurbach, D. , “Challenges in the Development of Advanced Li-Ion Batteries - A Review,” Energy & Environmental Science 4:3243-3262, 2011.
- Wang, J., Liu, P., Hicks-Garner, J., Sherman, E. et al. , “Cycle-Life Model for Graphite-LiFePO4 Cells,” Journal of Power Sources 196:3942-3948, 2011.
- Chen, K. and Li, X. , “Accurate Determination of Battery Discharge Characteristics-a Comparison between Two Battery Temperature Control Methods,” Journal of Power Sources 247:961-966, 2014.
- Pesaran, A. , “Battery Thermal Models for Hybrid Vehicle Simulations,” Journal of Power Sources 110:377-382, 2002.
- Linden, D. and Reddy, T.B. , Handbook of Batteries, Third Edition (McGraw-Hill, 2002).
- Vetter, J., Novák, P., Wagner, M., Veit, C. et al. , “Ageing Mechanisms in Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 147:269-281, 2005.
- Wu, B., Yufit, V., Marinescu, M., Offer, G.J. et al. , “Coupled Thermal-Electrochemical Modelling of Uneven Heat Generation in Lithium-Ion Battery Packs,” Journal of Power Sources 243:544-554, 2013.
- Smith, K. and Wang, C.Y. , “Power and Thermal Characterization of a Lithium-Ion Battery Pack for Hybrid-Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 160:662-673, 2006.
- Chen, Y. and Evans, J.W. , “Heat Transfer Phenomena in Lithium/Polymer-Electrolyte Batteries for Electric Vehicle Application,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society 140:1833-1838, 1993.
- Chen, S.C., Wan, C.C., and Wang, Y.Y. , “Thermal Analysis of Lithium-ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 140:111-124, 2005.
- Yeow, K. et al. , “3D Thermal Analysis of Li-Ion Battery Cells with Various Geometries and Cooling Conditions Using Abaqus,” 2012.
- Pesaran, A. , “Battery Thermal Management in EVs and HEVs: Issues and Solutions,” in The Advanced Automotive Battery Conference, Las Vegas, 2001.
- Wright, R.B., Christophersen, J.P., Motloch, C.G., Belt, J.R. et al. , “Power Fade and Capacity Fade Resulting from Cycle-Life Testing of Advanced Technology Development Program Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 119-121:865-869, 2003.
- Ramadass, P., Haran, B., White, R., and Popov, B.N. , “Capacity Fade of Sony 18650 cells Cycled at Elevated Temperatures: Part II. Capacity Fade Analysis,” Journal of Power Sources 112:614-620, 2002.
- Fernandez, I.J., Calvillo, C.F., Sanchez-Miralles, A., and Boal, J. , “Capacity Fade and Aging Models for Electric Batteries and Optimal Charging Strategy for Electric Vehicles,” Energy 60:35-43, 2013.
- Amine, K., Liu, J., and Belharouak, I. , “High-Temperature Storage and Cycling of C-LiFePO4/Graphite Li-Ion Cells,” Electrochemistry Communications 7:669-673, 2005.
- Goughty, D. and Roth, E.P. , “A General Discussion of Li Ion Battery Safety,” The Elctrochemical Society Interface, 2012.
- Zhang, X., Kong, X., Li, G., and Li, J. , “Thermodynamic Assessment of Active Cooling/Heating Methods for Lithium-ion Batteries of Electric Vehicles in Extreme Conditions,” Energy 64:1092-1101, 2014.
- Yu, K., Yang, X., Cheng, Y., and Li, C. , “Thermal Analysis and Two-Directional Air Flow Thermal Management for Lithium-Ion Battery Pack,” J. Power Sources 270:193-200, 2014.
- Mohammadian, S.K. and Zhang, Y. , “Thermal Management Optimization of an Air-Cooled Li-Ion Battery Module Using Pin-Fin Heat Sinks for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 273:431-439, 2015.
- Sabbah, R., Kizilel, R., Selman, J.R., and Al-Hallaj, S. , “Active (Air-Cooled) Vs. Passive (Phase Change Material) Thermal Management of High Power Lithium-Ion Packs: Limitation of Temperature Rise and Uniformity of Temperature Distribution,” J. Power Sources 182:630-638, 2008.
- Cho, G.Y., Choi, J.W., Park, J.H., and Cha, S.W. , “Transient Modeling and Validation of Lithium Ion Battery Pack with Air Cooled Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicles,” Int. J. Automot. Technol. 15:795-803, 2014.
- Fan, L., Khodadadi, J.M., and Pesaran, A.A. , “A Parametric Study on Thermal Management of an Air-Cooled Lithium-Ion Battery Module for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 238:301-312, 2013.
- Liu, Z., Wang, Y., Zhang, J., and Liu, Z. , “Shortcut Computation for the Thermal Management of a Large Air-Cooled Battery Pack,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 66:445-452, 2014.
- Mahamud, R. and Park, C. , “Reciprocating Air Flow for Li-Ion Battery Thermal Management to Improve Temperature Uniformity,” J. Power Sources 196:5685-5696, 2011.
- Wang, T., Tseng, K.J., Zhao, J., and Wei, Z. , “Thermal Investigation of Lithium-Ion Battery Module with Different Cell Arrangement Structures and Forced Air-Cooling Strategies,” Appl. Energy 134:229-238, 2014.
- Yong, S.C. and Mo, K.D. , “Prediction of Thermal Behaviors of an Air-Cooled Lithium-Ion Battery System for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 270:273-280, 2014.
- Park, H. , “A Design of Air Flow Configuration for Cooling Lithium Ion Battery in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 239:30-36, 2013.
- Sun, H. and Dixon, R. , “Development of Cooling Strategy for an Air Cooled Lithium-Ion Battery Pack,” J. Power Sources 272:404-414, 2014.
- Chen, K., Wang, S., Song, M., and Chen, L. , “Structure Optimization of Parallel Air-Cooled Battery Thermal Management System,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 111:943-952, 2017.
- Xu, X.M. and He, R. , “Research on the Heat Dissipation Performance of Battery Pack Based on Forced Air Cooling,” J. Power Sources 240:33-41, 2013.
- Chen, K., Wang, S., Song, M., and Chen, L. , “Configuration Optimization of Battery Pack in Parallel Air-Cooled Battery Thermal Management System Using an Optimization Strategy,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 123:177-186, 2017.
- Giuliano, M.R., Prasad, A.K., and Advani, S.G. , “Experimental Study of an Air-Cooled Thermal Management System for High Capacity Lithium-Titanate Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 216:345-352, 2012.
- Park, H. , “A Design of Air Flow Configuration for Cooling Lithium Ion Battery in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 239:30-36, 2013.
- Fan, L., Khodadadi, J.M., and Pesaran, A. , “A Parametric Study on Thermal Management of an Air-Cooled Lithium-Ion Battery Module for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 238:301-312, 2013.
- Qian, Z., Li, Y., and Rao, Z. , “Thermal Performance of Lithium-Ion Battery Thermal Management System by Using Mini-Channel Cooling,” Energy Convers. Manag. 126:622-631, 2016.
- Panchal, S., Khasow, R., Dincer, I., Agelin-Chaab, M. et al. , “Thermal Design and Simulation of Mini-Channel Cold Plate for Water Cooled Large Sized Prismatic Lithium-Ion Battery,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 22:80-90, 2017.
- Panchal, S., Khasow, R., Dincer, I., Agelin-Chaab, M. et al. , “Numerical Modeling and Experimental Investigation of a Prismatic Battery Subjected Towater Cooling,” Numer. Heat Transf. Part A Appl. 71:626-637, 2017.
- Zhao, R., Zhang, S., Gu, J., and Liu, J. , “An Experimental Study of Lithium Ion Battery Thermal Management Using Flexible Hydrogel Films,” Journal of Power Sources 255:29-36, 2014.
- Zhang, S., Zhao, R., Liu, J., and Gu, J. , “Investigation on a Hydrogel Based Passive Thermal Management System for Lithium Ion Batteries,” Energy 68:854-861, 2014.
- Rao, Z., Wang, Q., and Huang, C. , “Investigation of the Thermal Performance of Phase Change Material/Mini-Channel Coupled Battery Thermal Management System,” Appl. Energy 164:659-669, 2016.
- Alipanah, M. and Li, X. , “Numerical Studies of Lithium-Ion Battery Thermal Management Systems Using Phase Change Materials and Metal Foams,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 102:1159-1168, 2016.
- Wilke, S., Schweitzer, B., Khateeb, S., and Al-Hallaj, S. , “Preventing Thermal Runaway Propagation in Lithium Ion Battery Packs Using a Phase Change Composite Material: An Experimental Study,” J. Power Sources 340:51-59, 2017.
- Wu, W. , “The Experimental and Simulation Research of Power Batteries Thermal Management Based on PCM,” Master’s thesis, Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, China, 2015.
- Al-Hallaj, S. and Selman, J.R. , “A Novel Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicle Batteries Using Phase-Change Material,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society 147.
- Al-Hallaj, S. and Selman, J.R. , “A Novel Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicle Batteries Using Phase Change Material,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society 147(9):3231-3236, 2000.
- Khateeb, S.A., Amiruddin, S., Farid, M., Selman, J.R., and Al-Hallaj, S. , “Thermal Management of Li-Ion Battery with Phase Change Material for Electric Scooters: Experimental Validation,” Journal of Power Sources 142:345-353, 2005.
- He, F., Li, X., and Ma, L. , “Combined Experimental and Numerical Study of Thermal Management of Battery Module Consisting of Multiple Li-Ion Cells,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 72:622-629, 2014.
- Yi, J., Koo, B., and Shin, C. , “Three-Dimensional Modeling of the Thermal Behavior of a Lithium-Ion Battery Module for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Applications,” Energies 7:7586-7601, 2014.
- Kizilel, R., Lateef, A., Sabbah, R., Farid, M.M. et al. , “Passive Control of Temperature Excursion and Uniformity in High-Energy Li-Ion Battery Packs at High Current and Ambient Temperature,” Journal of Power Sources 183:370-375, 2008.
- Tran, T.H., Harmand, S., Desmet, B., and Filangi, S. , “Experimental Investigation on the Feasibility of Heat Pipe Cooling for HEV/EV Lithium-ion Battery,” Applied Thermal Engineering 63:551-558, 2014.
- Rao, Z., Wang, S., Wu, M., Lin, Z., and Li, F. , “Experimental Investigation on Thermal Management of Electric Vehicle Battery with Heat Pipe,” Energy Conversion and Management 65:92-97, 2013.