This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Voltage Battery (HVB) Durability Enhancement in Electric Mobility through 1D CAE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on August 18, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The public transport in India is gradually shifting towards electric mobility. Long range in electric mobility can be served with High Voltage Battery (HVB), but HVB can sustain for its designed life if it’s maintained within a specific operating temperature range. Appropriate battery thermal management through Battery Cooling System (BCS) is critical for vehicle range and battery durability
This work focus on two aspects, BCS sizing and its coolant flow optimization in Electric bus. BCS modelling was done in 1D CAE software. The objective is to develop a model of BCS in virtual environment to replicate the physical testing. Electric bus contain numerous battery packs and a complex piping in its cooling system. BCS sizing simulation was performed to keep the battery packs in operating temperature range. Iterations were carried out to achieve uniform coolant flow distribution across battery packs and maintain target coolant flow to attain thermal homogeneity
1D simulation is vital when it comes to analyzing complex systems at vehicle level during concept development stage. Appropriate sizing of BCS could result in maximizing the range of the electric vehicle, prolong battery lifespan and enhance overall safety in major sense.
CitationVenu, S., Jaybhay, S., Kadam, K., Varma, M. et al., "High Voltage Battery (HVB) Durability Enhancement in Electric Mobility through 1D CAE," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0013, 2020.
- Lu, L., Han, X., Li, J., Hua, J., and Ouyang, M. , “A Review on the Key Issues for Lithium-Ion Battery Management in Electric Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 226:272-288, 2013.
- Rao, Z. and Wang, S. , “A Review of Power Battery Thermal Energy Management,” Renew. Sustain Energy Rev. 15:4554-4571, 2011.
- Zhang, T., Gao, C., Gao, Q., Wang, G. et al. , “Status and Development of Electric Vehicle Integrated Thermal Management from BTM to HVAC,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 88:328-409, 2015.
- Salvio, C. and Youngmann, M. , “Thermal Modelling of Li-Ion Polymer Battery for Electrical Vehicle Drive Cycles,” J. Power Sources 213-296, 2012.
- Yeow, K. et al. , “3D Thermal Analysis of Li-ion Battery Cells with Various Geometries and Cooling Conditions Using Abaqus,” in SIMULIA Community Conference, 2012.
- KULI , Software Tool for Energy Management Optimization (Austria: MAGNA Powertrain - Engineering Center Steyr GmbH & Co KG).